• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solutionism and engineering constraints shape audiophile innovation

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An Audio Advisor catalog arrived in the mail yesterday for my wife. While browsing through for chuckles I had an idea about the overall shape of audiophile innovation.

First, solutionism is evident in many of the advised products in that catalog. It's not fair to say that solutionism defines the market it but its clear from the nature of many products that the problem was invented or exaggerated in order to justify the solution, i.e. consumer product.

Second, it struck me that the solutionist innovations had something else in common: small R&D and production operations. The R&D for power and interconnect cables, turntables tube amps, etc. is within the reach of small engineering operations, even of some hobbyists. Production for many of the products in audio advisor is also not especially capital intensive.

For example, don't you think the true audiophile needs an audiophile NAS server (joke!) with a microprocessor, memory, mass storage and network interfaces optimized for sound quality and with an operating system and device drivers rewritten from the ground up to [insert solutionist technobabble]? Or look at it another way without joking, what about room EQ in a dynamic environment for non-technical consumers. Let's use machine vision and AI (in addition to IoT mics) in order to give the acoustic models some information about the room to work with, or even to understand where the listeners are. Maybe the system could also advise you on selection and placement of equipment, furniture and treatments. It could automatically adjust to dinner parties or movie viewing. It's all doable with available consumer electronics but it would take a big R&D project.

So, anyway, I haven't developed the idea much and it may not stand up at all but browsing that Audio Advisor catalog gave me a sense of some kind of sameness among the funnies and maybe that regularity has a shape that comes from something: small-scale solutionism.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I haven't heard the term before. "Solutionism" is a pretty good word.

Solution-seeking joyriders inventing problems.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think marketing in general works like this solutionism. In these audiophile tweaks, and in products like the OP pointed to in Audio Advisor marketing was given free rein to invent the problem and market/invent a solution. So audiophile tweak products are something of an outlier.

I'm reminded of a situation with a friend who was a mechanical engineer in the compressor/vacuum field. At one small company he worked for marketing had lots of internal power. More than once, listening to customer wants/needs (how can that be bad), the marketing and sales department would promise a soon to be delivered product. Then come tell engineering what their next product would be, how it would work, and what it had to cost to be profitable. Most of the time the engineering department couldn't comply. This usually fell into two categories. Category 1: the product promised would have to violate the laws of physics to work. Category 2: We have some ideas on how we can build that. It will cost 100 times the price you promised the customers, but we can build it.

In the audiophile world where results are subjective guided satisfaction, you have fewer constraints on both problem invention and the supplied solution. Oh and it need not work at all if pitched correctly.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Morozov is a very interesting writer and thinker. Solutionism was a major theme in his second book. But it wasn't novel to me when I read it. The concept has been around for a long time I think but I'll have to search some to find more about it's history.

Tks

Major Contributor
For example, don't you think the true audiophile needs an audiophile NAS server (joke!) with a microprocessor, memory, mass storage and network interfaces optimized for sound quality and with an operating system and device drivers rewritten from the ground up to [insert solutionist technobabble]?

Oh it's worse than that, even if they felt the need for such a thing, no technical people would ever waste time on such a nonsense goal. The only thing that could change this is, is if marketing departments said to executives, that NEEDS to exist.

@Blumlein 88 explained that SO PERFECTLY, I feel like I'm spamming even writing what I just wrote.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
Solutionism: The ability to have solution in-hand at any time. "Nudge, nudge, wank, wank, …….." . :facepalm:

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Oh it's worse than that, even if they felt the need for such a thing, no technical people would ever waste time on such a nonsense goal. The only thing that could change this is, is if marketing departments said to executives, that NEEDS to exist.

@Blumlein 88 explained that SO PERFECTLY, I feel like I'm spamming even writing what I just wrote.

I love the customer/marketing/engineering dialog @Blumlein 88 described that's unique to audiophile: that in this one particular sector of product development, violating the laws of nature simply isn't a problem, but that's a bit different from what I had in mind.

I imagined a small-company engineering culture with a creative process that's divorced from the (legitimate) conversation between customers and marketing, where the owner and boss is or was a design/R&D engineer, and the product specs arise out of these specific individuals, what they know and what the company is capable of. They don't work on an audiophile NAS server because its way too big a project. It's much easier to do another vacuum tube/semiconductor hybrid whatever because that's within reach. That's what I mean by solutionism. So in the conception I put forwards, the products represent the creative limits of the designers and their firms.

Reactions: Tks
OP
thefsb

thefsb

It's a big book, isn't it...

Mine came a while back, I haven't thrown it out yet, nor have I looked at it (still in the plastic bag)

Here's the online version:

http://catalog.audioadvisor.com/publication/index.php?i=172798&m=&l=&p=1&pre=&ver=html5#{"page":8,"issue_id":172798}

Oh, only 100 pages, but nice heavy glossy paper, if it's like the last one.

Lucy is always happy when the latest L L Bean catalog arrives. I wonder what she'll think of the Audio Advisor?

1576160515257.png

Eirikur

Good thread . Someone just put sugar round my margarita glass, not sure if this is relevant but it was a solution looking for a problem.

You actually may have a problem. Tequila, sec liqueur, lime juice and wedge, salt and cubed ice -- no sugar in sight...
Are you sure they didn't just slip you a cup of coffee posing as a margarita, thinking you wouldn't notice?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
This usually fell into two categories. Category 1: the product promised would have to violate the laws of physics to work.

Yes, a bipolar op-amp with <1nV noise that runs on <100uA of total supply current, it was asked for more than once.

Top Bottom