• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solution for I2S over HDMI

Poiram

Hi, I am looking for solution for I2S over HDMI. My 2 choices are a Raspberry Pi with Ian Canada modules (FifoPi Ma mkll and HdmiPi Mk ll) or a Singxer SU-2, some one as had the chance to compare?

thanks

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am looking for solution for I2S over HDMI.
Don't bother... it's meant for inside devices via PCB trace or ribbon cable and intended as a communication protocol to link two integrated circuits. It won't provide any benefit at all, just stick with USB out or add something like this to obtain optical out;
You may want to have a read through this;
Oh and welcome to ASR. :)

JSmith

OP
P

Poiram

Thanks for your welcome. Actually I have a RPI with a I2S hifiberri digi+, it’s cheap and does not work propely with DSD as advertised, but the difference in sound if I compare with USB is very significant, at least on my sound system. ( Holo Audio May Dac, Classé audio amp and preamp and Sonus Faber speakers). I have learn with time that music is not only measurment. I have been an audio reviewer for Quebec Audio magazine for a while and I think I can trust my ears

so if someone as try either the Singxer Su-2 or the RPI/Ian Canada, I will appreciate your comment.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can trust my ears
I mean this with the greatest of respect, but no one can "trust" their ears due to the nature of the brain and being human.
I have learn with time that music is not only measurment.
Perception of it isn't for sure, which can vary even based on personal mood... the electronic device components that send signals to speakers is only measurement.
so if someone as try either the Singxer Su-2 or the RPI/Ian Canada, I will appreciate your comment.
Apologies in advance, but you likely will not find such subjective impressions here.

JSmith

MTZ

Hello,

I'm using a Pink Faun I2S pci card in my old windows (10) pc. Acts as a normal soundcard and works great.
To bo honest i can't tell the difference between usb and I2S in my system.
Bought it years ago before the existence of ASR.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have been an audio reviewer for Quebec Audio magazine for a while and I think I can trust my ears

Welcome!

That's what we all think...until we learn we can't.

The brain is more clever than we sometimes give credit.

Is the improvement from less obvious noise, or is it in the more subtle increased plankton kind of way typically attributed to this kind of thing? You may have a problem with your USB port, but otherwise you are just comparing digital delivery methods that should be indistinguishable.

Maybe a video put together by our host might help.

Also, expect a note asking for a little more information so we can properly tag you as a reviewer.

OP
P

Poiram

Hello,

I'm using a Pink Faun I2S pci card in my old windows (10) pc. Acts as a normal soundcard and works great.
To bo honest i can't tell the difference between usb and I2S in my system.
Bought it years ago before the existence of ASR.
to be honest I had the chance to try the Pink Faun I2s on my PC and I was not impress at all. It's quite different with the RPI and a Cheap DIGI+ I2s, much better,

OP
P

Poiram

Welcome!

That's what we all think...until we learn we can't.

The brain is more clever than we sometimes give credit.

Is the improvement from less obvious noise, or is it in the more subtle increased plankton kind of way typically attributed to this kind of thing? You may have a problem with your USB port, but otherwise you are just comparing digital delivery methods that should be indistinguishable.

Maybe a video put together by our host might help.

Also, expect a note asking for a little more information so we can properly tag you as a reviewer.
I don't wan't to be tag as a reviewer, I am now just an happy audiophile who enjoy good music and good recording. Have a good day

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't wan't to be tag as a reviewer, I am now just an happy audiophile who enjoy good music and good recording.

Who writes reviews. It isn't really up to you to be blunt. Let's continue via PM after you get your welcome message.

OP
P

Poiram

thank for your nice " Welcome " you people are giving me here (i am sarcastic, but it’s hard to measure sarcasm). I just ask a simple question, you shoot me with measuments and other stories. I am sorry for you, I am not listening to sinusoidal wave forms but to music, witch is more complex. Oh and it as to do with human brain (With all it complexities) . So to all the major contributors, I have understand with your kind help that I do not belong here.

may the music reach your soul

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Who writes reviews. It isn't really up to you to be blunt. Let's continue via PM after you get your welcome message.
I think Elvis left the building and the Tag issue self resolved.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wonder why people join here to ask questions and, when they get honest answers they didn't expect, then leave immediately. The OP could have learned a lot here.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thank for your nice " Welcome " you people are giving me here (i am sarcastic, but it’s hard to measure sarcasm). I just ask a simple question, you shoot me with measuments and other stories.
These were honest answers and hints to learn about audio and its human perception.
I am sorry for you, I am not listening to sinusoidal wave forms but to music, witch is more complex.
Neither do we. You know nothing about the members here and their incredible knowledge in audio (not me), you know nothing about the music they listen to.
Oh and it as to do with human brain (With all it complexities) . So to all the major contributors, I have understand with your kind help that I do not belong here.
This statement just proves that you do belong here to learn more.

BTW: Being a reviewer is not a proof for having "golden ears". In fact it's just the opposite as the research results cited in @Floyd Toole's book has shown (where the group of reviewers showed the worst results in analyzing audio).
may the music reach your soul
It does and did for 50 years at least.

Top Bottom