• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solution: Airplay asking for "On screen passcode" for devices that don't have a screen

fcracer

Forum Donor
I’m seeing this issue pop up all over the internet so it must be due to some change in the recently launched iOS 16. Even for devices that were working perfectly before, suddenly when Airplaying to a device like the NAD BluOS equipped amplifiers or other devices with Airplay capabilities, the iOS device will ask for an “on-screen passcode”.

These devices don't have any video output so there's no screen to view. All manner of passwords can be tried but none will work. If you contact the manufacturer, they’ll say it’s an Apple issue. If you contact Apple, they’ll say it’s the manufacturer's issue.

After searching online for days and trying everything under the sun, I stumbled upon a simple solution that finally resolved the issue (from an Arcam forum no less).

Go into the iOS Home app, remove the “accessory” (your Airplay device such as an NAD or Arcam, etc.) and then add it back again; if you’ve never had your Airplay device in the Home app, add it. This simple process eliminated the issue for me.

What made this issue so difficult to figure out was that only one iOS device had this issue out of several that could connect without problems. I thought the issue was with the one iOS device that wasn't connecting, but it turned out to be some internal thing within Apple's HomeKit ecosystem.

Hope this helps someone save a few hours of google searches!

Top Bottom