• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solid Snake-Oil Storage: This SSD Is Aimed at Audiophiles

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their signatures, where their systems are inventoried down to the power lines in some cases are making me laugh. Wow...thats some nutty shit.
I feel sorry for these audiophiles who are so unskilled at achieving system synergy that they have to resort to such things as attempting to alter power lines, transformers, breakers, in-wall wiring, etc. I managed to find perfect synergy between my gear and the existing power grid through to my wall outlets. Even my stock power cords synergize with the rest of my carefully selected and matched components. They are sad amateurs, doomed to endless tweaking and failure!

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Are there any audiophile grade air purifiers yet?
Yes! I do not recall the reference, but one was advertised As doing something to ionize the air in the room for better SQ!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Their signatures, where their systems are inventoried down to the power lines in some cases are making me laugh. Wow...thats some nutty shit.
Those detailed listings of folks' system configurations (common on several forum sites) kinda bug me.
I am usually put to mind of a saying that my father was wont to... umm... say, when confronted with self-aggrandizing commentary:
Are you braggin' or complainin'

Of course, his bon mot was often directed at me. :rolleyes:

escksu

The testers all forgotten about RAM and CPU!!! The data does not goes from SSD direct to audio out/USB. Its being transferred from SSD to RAM, then to CPU to processing (alot more goes on)...... So, no matter what kind of magical SSD you have, its all lost after data is transferred to the cheap consumer memory (most don't even use ECC memory).

Yes, so you need "audiophie" CPU and memory as well.... But then there is USB controller too.... Then they all are affected by board power, so you need audiophile mainboard blah blah.......lol......

Holmz

Major Contributor
Some type of ionizer that excites the air particles to cause the soundstage depth and detail to increase? I bet we could sell that to audiophiles.

I guess with a plasma tweeter that there may be ionisation, and that could be helpful towards selling the speaker cable lifts for the static charges?

Or maybe one could ball up the charges and recycle them making a greener amplification?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some type of ionizer that excites the air particles to cause the soundstage depth and detail to increase? I bet we could sell that to audiophiles.
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with built in air ionizer freshening. It has an Infinity (harman) sound system which while not blow your socks off great is pretty good for OEM. I now wonder, is it the gear or the air ions?

Azathoth

Brings me back to the early days of SSDs where people claimed music played from a SSD sounded better than from HDDs.

Durnik

I think that there's some choice for this to be true. In my case, my SSD is not an audiophile one and it only does well cappuccinos and Amazon purchases (is an special buyer design that can make any purchase cheaper), but I could think of a well-designed audiophile SSD, compensating defective sound profiles, converting my old 128 mp3s to 24bit flac and creating such a nice 3D deep-special soundstage. Why not?

TrevorD

Pthhhh. Of course this won't improve sound. Where are the valves/tubes??

TrevorD

Best sound comes form HDDs because they have spinning platters that very closely mimic the sound of a $10k+ turntable.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Those detailed listings of folks' system configurations (common on several forum sites) kinda bug me.

I think that's how they establish 'cred.'

If you've bought a bunch of nutty shit, clearly you must know what you're talking about.

litemotiv

I'm advocating fraud being held to account. Any claim that a drive can improve audio is fraudulent.

If you're in the UK you can file a complaint with the ASA for false or misleading advertising:

But i'm not sure how that would work for international companies advertising online...

Best sound comes form HDDs because they have spinning platters that very closely mimic the sound of a $10k+ turntable.

Yes and they rotate linearly like a proper toroidal transformer, it's obviously superior.

litemotiv

But for the customers it dose because they believe in it.

It’s not like a placebo has no effect.

I think placebo is fine as long as you're not specifically charged for it. For instance, my DAC has a number of filters and i think i can hear a difference between a couple of them, which can easily also be imagined. That's just fine, it increases the fun factor to play around with them and it doesn't cost me anything extra.

This is different from 'audiophile' products like ethernet switches and this SSD here, the supposed improvements that they claim to bring is the core of the product (and marketing) and is what you are specifically paying for.

Top Bottom