• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solid Dac Amp for Focal Elex?

Bafri

For my PC Desktop usage im using a Dac Amp for my Focal Elex. I dosent need that much Power, but wanna good all in one solution without beeing too expensive. Any ideas? Thank you

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For my PC Desktop usage im using a Dac Amp for my Focal Elex. I dosent need that much Power, but wanna good all in one solution without beeing too expensive. Any ideas? Thank you

The JDS El thingy all in one . Cant remember its name. I was going to say the Topping DX3 Pro but it has high output impedance.

OR- have a look at the E1DA 9038D dongle- would be great for them and could then use from PC or phone. (9038S if you want balanced)

OP
B

Bafri

Its pretty expensive in Germany. Around 400€. Do you think the JDS Labs Atom or E1DA 9038D do this job as well? Or would i benefit from the Element?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its pretty expensive in Germany. Around 400€. Do you think the JDS Labs Atom or E1DA 9038D do this job as well? Or would i benefit from the Element?
The Atom doesnt have an all in one version otherwise would be ideal- nothing about the Element above Atom sonically- just better case.

OP
B

Bafri

I could you a chinch to 3.5mm cable to use my mac mini M1 that has good internal sound as a Dac / Soundsignal source. Oue buying a seperat Dac. Would they sound significant better than the E1da? Im asking because i would get the E1da for around 85€ and the JDS Labs Atom for around 150€ to Germany.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I could you a chinch to 3.5mm cable to use my mac mini M1 that has good internal sound as a Dac / Soundsignal source. Oue buying a seperat Dac. Would they sound significant better than the E1da? Im asking because i would get the E1da for around 85€ and the JDS Labs Atom for around 150€ to Germany.
Why not just use the mac and have done, why do you need anything external?

OP
B

Bafri

Because the Powerinput has too much distortion in comparison with Apple Dongle and my iPhone 12

OP
B

Bafri

would i benefit more from the JDS labs Atom Amp than E1da?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the Powerinput has too much distortion in comparison with Apple Dongle and my iPhone 12
If you're happy with the apple dongle driving them, just get another for the mac then.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am happy with these combo devices:

Schiit Hel
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2
Loxjie A30

They all have something more than DAC/HPA though.

OP
B

Bafri

The apple USB c dongle, reviewed very favourably on here. Unless you buy the EU /UK version with its ridiculous 1v limit.

do you have a ebay link or something like this? I living in germany so i have to import

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
do you have a ebay link or something like this? I living in germany so i have to import
Urgh. Its a pain. They have different model numbers but can't remember which is which. But that said, I imagine the one with your phone is similarly limited so for the sake of a few E, try the EU one

Hello ! I don't really know if I should revive the thread or create a new one, so I'm gonna take my chance here first. I read posts on reddit, made one, but I still have questions and have more confidence in the answers I hope to get here. Just got the focal elex (who would have guessed) and I am contemplating a few options.
  • the atom JDS lab that I can get under 100 CAD (used)
  • a Cambridge DacMagic plus for around 300CAD (used)
  • a drop THX 789 for around 250CAD
  • a combo amp/dac liquid spark for 200CAD
  • the SMSL SP200 for 180is CAD.
These are the options around me. My hidizs S9 pro does not have a 6.5mm output or XLR (I also tend to take it everywhere with me). EDIT: because formating is hard.

EDIT EDIT: Fiio K7 has been mentioned. 330CAD

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello ! I don't really know if I should revive the thread or create a new one, so I'm gonna take my chance here first. I read posts on reddit, made one, but I still have questions and have more confidence in the answers I hope to get here. Just got the focal elex (who would have guessed) and I am contemplating a few options.
  • the atom JDS lab that I can get under 100 CAD (used)
  • a Cambridge DacMagic plus for around 300CAD (used)
  • a drop THX 789 for around 250CAD
  • a combo amp/dac liquid spark for 200CAD
  • the SMSL SP200 for 180is CAD.
These are the options around me. My hidizs S9 pro does not have a 6.5mm output or XLR (I also tend to take it everywhere with me). EDIT: because formating is hard.

EDIT EDIT: Fiio K7 has been mentioned. 330CAD
Imo, you should start off with the apple dongle first. It's honestly plenty powerful for most headphones

@Elitzur–Vaidman I have an android phone, a quick glance at the subject suggests it might be a problem (didn't see anything about linux compatibility). I would rather just get an adapter for the hidizs if it is sufficient.

Liberte

@Elitzur–Vaidman I have an android phone, a quick glance at the subject suggests it might be a problem (didn't see anything about linux compatibility). I would rather just get an adapter for the hidizs if it is sufficient.
I use this for when I want to plug my Elex into a 3.5mm source, it puts less physical strain on my source's (Mojo) output than a non-wired adapter.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an android phone as well. The only issue is android limits the max volume to 0.5V instead of the full 1V. That'll still get the Elex plenty loud imo

Top Bottom