• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOLD: SMSL M500, less than 3 weeks usage

VeerK

Hi guys,

Listing the M500 here for sale, less than 3 weeks of usage, maybe a couple of hours a day during that time period. All boxes and materials are included, it’s a complete unit. No issues with it at all, I just ended up getting the Topping D90 because it matches the aesthetics of my THX 887, and has a higher SINAD.

Asking $330 + shipping to CONUS, will upload pictures shortly. I can refer you to my eBay seller account for positive feedback verification, and at this time I only want to use PayPal. Any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for your interest, hope this baby finds a new loving home!

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys,

Listing the M500 here for sale, less than 3 weeks of usage, maybe a couple of hours a day during that time period. All boxes and materials are included, it’s a complete unit. No issues with it at all, I just ended up getting the Topping D90 because it matches the aesthetics of my THX 887, and has a higher SINAD.

Asking $330 + shipping to CONUS, will upload pictures shortly. I can refer you to my eBay seller account for positive feedback verification, and at this time I only want to use PayPal. Any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for your interest, hope this baby finds a new loving home!
Curious to know, did you notice an improvement in SQ with D90 over M500? Thanks

OP
VeerK

VeerK

Curious to know, did you notice an improvement in SQ with D90 over M500? Thanks

Yes, but that could easily just be recency bias or volume differences. I'm sure if I volume matched DBT, I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. It is possible thermal fluctuations in the M500 may contribute to the differences I detected, but I doubt it.

Shoaibexpert

Did you manage sell yours? I might need to follow suit in a few months. The problem is by that time Topping might release a D90S and then I'll be back here again...

OP
VeerK

VeerK

At some point you have to decide what you want from a DAC, and where to stop. Technology will always keep advancing, but with DACs we are now in the land of audible transparency.

mkawa

i personally can't tell the difference between the m500 and the sabaj d5 in my speaker system, but _might_ be able to a/b them with my focal elex in and geshelli in my headphone system. solution was to put the m500 into the speaker system and the d5 into the headphone system. i severely doubt that i would be able to distinguish the d90 from the d5 even with the focals and the geshelli; meanwhile the d90 costs more than the elex, whereas the d5 was 50% less.

at some point chasing numbers becomes similar to chasing the veil in audiophile land.

i leave my gear on 24/7 for the most part; it's just easier from a PAF perspective.

Shoaibexpert

I agree. I am quite happy with the M500 at this time...provided our theory of transparency holds...this maybe the only MQA enabled DAC one would ever need...

Shoaibexpert

Would you send to Australia ?
Hi I am not a supplier of anything as of now. But I can suggest you checking out AliExpress for offers...especially talk to that Aoshida HiFi guy via chat to get a good deal. I got mine for USD 330 in Dec 19 and i feel after the release of D90, prices should go down even more...Thanks

Dean023

Hi guys,

Can you send it to Australia ?

Top Bottom