• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOLD!!!: Revel F226be, like new (2 weeks old)SOLD!!!

blestin

Located in NJ zip 07726. Have original boxes and materials. Including parts express outriggers I purchased and modified to fit. Asking for $5000 or best offer, please don’t low ball. Local pickup strongly preferred as these would be a pain to ship. If offer is serious and you would like to hear them that can be arranged, but must wear a mask.

Attachments

• IMG_8071 small.jpg
    IMG_8071 small.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why are you selling?

His wife found the credit card statement with the real amount paid, not the $500 bargain he told her.... ;)

The $5K will go to the divorce attorney as a down payment. HeHe...

OP
B

blestin

Why are you selling?[/QUOTE
That’s quite a complicated question, I bought the Revel F226be because I felt that the BMR was not dynamic enough especially for movies. I was hoping it would be an upgrade in there and it definitely was, its more lively and dynamic for sure. The issue is that for whatever reason it does not sound as good to me as the BMR in my living room with music. I have tried it other rooms in the house and compared it. I also listened to it at a friends house and at a dealer. It sounded fantastic everywhere besides the intended room, I was honestly blown away by how good it sounded everywhere else.

So I am quite upset by the whole situation, the likely culprit as to why it doesn’t sound good in my room is that my couch/listening position has huge floor to ceiling windows across the whole wall.

I think the F226be is objectively the better speaker and subjectively I like it better in every room, except not in the room I purchased it for.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You probably tried everything already, but to me they look located too close to the front wall.

OP
B

blestin

I have tried anything I could within WAF limitations. The back of the tower is 11.5 inches from the wall and 11 inches from the center console. That’s the best I can do unfortunately. For whatever reason the back ported BMR sounds better in this room regardless of placement.

I have attached the in room FR graph as measured by Audyssey for the left and right. To me music tonality sounds off in this room and not as good as the BMR. I have tried without EQ, with EQ using a 250hz cut off, 500hz, and full range.

Attachments

• 326062AF-AD45-4DF7-A1B3-35C37F35E484.jpeg
    326062AF-AD45-4DF7-A1B3-35C37F35E484.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 5F64FDEC-4102-4E16-B7DD-52BBD99CE926.jpeg
    5F64FDEC-4102-4E16-B7DD-52BBD99CE926.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
OP
B

blestin

I actually received some good advice from Dennis Murphy which seems to have improved the sound of the Revels a bit. He suggested trying to reduce the mid-treble a few db from 3000 to 5000kHz.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a terrible peak at 45 Hz on the left speaker. Also, two peaks under 100 Hz on the right speaker.

The big dips around 120 Hz could probably be improved with a thicker carpet. You might try throwing some clothes to see if you can hear a difference.

Mids and treble seem OK to me.

Archsam

What are those feet underneath the speakers? They aren't original?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like the problem is the house not the speaker. I recommend selling the house and finding a better one that is a better compliment for your speakers. :p

OP
B

blestin

You have a terrible peak at 45 Hz on the left speaker. Also, two peaks under 100 Hz on the right speaker.

The big dips around 120 Hz could probably be improved with a thicker carpet. You might try throwing some clothes to see if you can hear a difference.

Mids and treble seem OK to me.

I will give that a try, audyssey is actually really good at making corrections below 200hz usually but has not audibly fixed the issue I am having. Biggest improvement I have seen is creating a small dip from 3-5k, it has improved the tonality a bit.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will give that a try, audyssey is actually really good at making corrections below 200hz usually but has not audibly fixed the issue I am having. Biggest improvement I have seen is creating a small dip from 3-5k, it has improved the tonality a bit.
I would try a high-pass 96dB/oct at 46 Hz or so to begin with (L+R). The peaks are masking you the frequencies around 130 Hz already in the dip.

If it works, it is a bass problem and you'll be able to refine later.

OP
B

blestin

I can't move the listening position unfortunately.

I would try a high-pass 96dB/oct at 46 Hz or so to begin with (L+R). The peaks are masking you the frequencies around 130 Hz already in the dip.

I am not sure how to do that, but what I can do is try using a 80hz crossover with the subwoofer, maybe that would help.
What are those feet underneath the speakers? They aren't original?

Those are parts express outriggers I modified by using a step drill bit to make the holes larger. It butchered the outriggers and made sharp ugly edges that I had to smooth out with a metal file so they don't scratch the foot of the tower.

OP
B

blestin

Hopefully people will stop trying to convince you to rebuild your house to suit the speakers and someone will cough up the 5 large.
lol, hopefully. They are in perfect condition with all accessories, packaging, and even foam inserts. I am considering all reasonable offers.

Top Bottom