• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FS: ADAM S2V (×2) [SOLD]

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The ADAM S2Vs. One of them was measured by @amirm and @hardisj, here and here.

I bought them in 2017 and enjoyed them immensely as everyday listening and mixing speakers.

Selling the pair for $2,000 USD +shipping. Original boxes and manuals included.

(Sorry for the dust. Other than for measurement, these have been dormant for over a year.)
ADAM S2V.jpg

nostromo

I'm almost sick to my stomach. I would have jumped on this so fast. I shopped around for months deciding which monitors to upgrade to before deciding on the S2V. Then shopped for a month or so looking for a used pair. Finally I gave up and just ordered a brand new pair off sweetwater last week, just received them yesterday and set them up. I created this account just to post this :facepalm:

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hard to say who's more sad;)

All I can say is that I've been in your position before. Kind of comes with the territory of the hobby.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Sold!

FabianB

Hi pozz, may I ask why you sold these?
I've been thinking of Adam S2V as well, for mixing in half space/midfield more than nearfield (personal preference).
In Amirs review it is shown they can play very loud with very little distortion, which is very impressive for a 2 way. That woofer must be have a monster motor inside haha.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@pozz, what did you replace them with? :)
Nothing so far. I moved in with my girlfriend and there's no place for a personal setup. Got a pair of white Neuman KH80s for the TV and to blend in with the decor, though. A happy/sad kind of scenario.
Hi pozz, may I ask why you sold these?
I've been thinking of Adam S2V as well, for mixing in half space/midfield more than nearfield (personal preference).
In Amirs review it is shown they can play very loud with very little distortion, which is very impressive for a 2 way. That woofer must be have a monster motor inside haha.
They are indeed capable and good for many reasons. I don't imagine there will be issues for midfield work.

I have two problems with them: brightness and directivity. The first is not really an issue since you can dial in EQ. With the second, sound changed pretty easily as I moved around. It convinced me from now on to go for constant or near-constant directivity designs with a sizable woofer.

I think that the region where a speaker loses directivity control, from a few hundred hertz to 1kHz (as is the case for the KH80s), and becomes increasingly omni, is highly responsible for the end sound. Most of the differences in radiation for every spin I've seen, IIRC, are within 30dB. That's easily within scope of the perceptual averaging involved in the precedence effect.

What this means for me is that, if I were to buy again today, I would get either Genelec 8351B or the studio version of thd D&D 8c, although both represent a compromise. The Genelecs lose directivity control around a few hundred hertz and need to be paired with the W371A. They do, however, have the best, smoothest horizontal off-axis response out there, bettering the D&Ds, which transition from downward-sloping to flat in the kHz region. That change in slope is bound to have a strong effect on what we end up hearing, but I don't know what that would be in advance. I haven't had the chance to demo either one.

Top Bottom