• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Software that will let me build a three sided wedge box? Lots of free software for enclosures but none I've seen that you build a wedge.

Nwickliff

Been looking for software to help me calculate a cut list in order to build a 3 sided wedge box. My geometry and math skills aren't great and I haven't used that part of my brain in decades.

Essentially I'm wanting to build my own atmos enclosures that will sit in the front corners of the ceiling and walls. Trying to get away with the smallest enclosure and driver(s) that will reach 80-90hz. Originally I was going to take apart my second pair of used Kef q100's but I made the mistake of setting them up in my computer desk, plugging the ports, and mating them with a decent sub. Now I don't want to go back to my OG red JBL 305's..... anyhow...

Any links to software, free or paid that would help me design a nontraditional box for this build. Not too worried about crossover design at this point as I'm just getting into this.

I'm trying to find something that can account for the thickness of the board and also perhaps the beveled edges. This is where I get the most confused.

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
Are we talking a tent like shape or more of a pyramid? If it's the former should be trivial, but I suspect you wouldn't be asking for help; if the latter then you will run into compound angles. I've used solid works a bit which could render it, but not to my knowledge provide a cut list. Maybe a sketch--even in paint or whatever might help us get a better eye-dea of what you're planning.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been looking for software to help me calculate a cut list in order to build a 3 sided wedge box. My geometry and math skills aren't great and I haven't used that part of my brain in decades.

Essentially I'm wanting to build my own atmos enclosures that will sit in the front corners of the ceiling and walls. Trying to get away with the smallest enclosure and driver(s) that will reach 80-90hz. Originally I was going to take apart my second pair of used Kef q100's but I made the mistake of setting them up in my computer desk, plugging the ports, and mating them with a decent sub. Now I don't want to go back to my OG red JBL 305's..... anyhow...

Any links to software, free or paid that would help me design a nontraditional box for this build. Not too worried about crossover design at this point as I'm just getting into this.

I'm trying to find something that can account for the thickness of the board and also perhaps the beveled edges. This is where I get the most confused.
I am unfamiliar with any software outside of MS Office and the few programs I need for work, but there should be several good free and open-source CAD programs downloadable from the internet. Once you've constructed your CAD model, it is possible in most of them to get distances between points and to get angles between lines. Then you can alter dimensions at will, and experiment with designs to you satisfaction. Unable to help with your question about software selection, sorry.

I have never built anything in my life, and know not of carpentry or of speaker enclosures, so what is a cut list? And what is special about an Atmos enclosure?

What is a three-sided wedge box? Are you thinking of a triangular prism or a tetrahedron (aka triangular pyramid)? Will it be straight beveling or fancier curved beveling? Do you have an idea of the thicknesses of the wood to be used?

Do you know the size of the drivers, how many of each size in each speaker and their likely arrangement? Are the drivers screwed to the front panel of the speaker enclosure? Assuming they are to be sealed enclosures and not ported? For the size of the driver for enclosure calculation purposes, you need to know the dimensions of the cuboidal bounding box (box of minimum L x W x H that will contain the driver), as well as allowances for speaker wiring and crossover PCBs. [As an aside, if you wanted to truly squeeze the driver into the tiniest possible enclosure of a given shape, you may need to find the convex hull of the driver, which any CAD program implicitly taps to avoid overlap of solids.]

The specification of intended listening position LP relative to the front top corners of the room may be needed. In what direction will the axes of the drivers point? Horizontally toward the LP's image near the ceiling or directly downward toward the LP.

As an alternative to CAD you can work from a concrete sketch. I know a little geometry and trigonometry. It should be straightforward for me or JRS, along with many other ASR members, to calculate distances and angles from well-defined sketches or CAD model snapshots, including all the beveling. All that would be needed would be a pocket calculator such as the $19 one I use, or the equivalent app on a computer or cell phone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom