• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Software EQ suggestions for mastering

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking for suggestions for software parametric EQ that people have found to be incredibly transparent. Sometimes the best sounding mastering with the lowest generation source is mastered by older mastering engineers that boost the treble (sadly all too common with some jazz) and I want a way to reverse this.

I would prefer open source or freeware, but if there is a paid app that is exceptional that is fine. Must run on W10. After doing much searching on Gear Slutz I've realized this is just as subjective as many other things and I'd be better off asking here.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a couple of freeware VST plugins. I can run some tests when I get home and let you know. I suspect just about any VST EQ is transparent, but it would interesting to test. Please PM me if I forget!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PS anything in particular you’d like me to test for?

OP
H

hvbias

I have a couple of freeware VST plugins. I can run some tests when I get home and let you know. I suspect just about any VST EQ is transparent, but it would interesting to test. Please PM me if I forget!

What software are they a plugin for? I'd prefer if the main software were free too, those are the ones I'd be interested in :)

I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just a parametric EQ that lets you adjust EQ and Q.

I can upload a sample of a file I'd like to adjust if you want to give it a try.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What software are they a plugin for? I'd prefer if the main software were free too, those are the ones I'd be interested in :)

I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just a parametric EQ that lets you adjust EQ and Q.

I can upload a sample of a file I'd like to adjust if you want to give it a try.

VST plug-ins are compatible with all DAWs I know of, but I’m not sure which DAWs are free.

I think Foobar supports VST, for example.

Equaliser APO also does, in case you want it to work system wide in windows. So that’s definitely a free and relatively easy way to apply a VST to the whole system.

Or to try from another angle, which EQ did you have in mind? If it’s free I can download and test it,

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor
Hello

What do you mean by transparent? An eq will change the tonal balance. Do you have distortion in mind?

A few I know:
- waves Lin eq Here
- fabfilter eq Here

If you want to tinker with the sound you may want a toolkit and not just an eq:
- reaper is an excellent daw with plenty of plugins
- izotope ozone8 is expensive but powerful and relatively easy to use
- acoustica is fast, cheap and good.

Gearslutz is almost as bad as an audiophile forum. They are better at producing music but the subjective views are super high: most are believers and they also do not like a/b that much. They compare speakers sighted in different rooms and they rave about x or y...

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for reaper
You have a full multi channel DAW for $60.
(And free evaluation for 60 days, fully functional)
It includes EQ, of course, and FIR Eq, and any combination of them,
and so on.
I use it to record (and mix) my friends' sessions and it is excellent.

But I guess you're rather looking for a plugin, not a full DAW.

Last edited:

hetzer

Almost any commercial EQ is good and even the basic EQ on DAW is not bad these days. But if you want to spend money on EQ, I recommend eq with many bands and functions such as Fabfilter pro q or DMG equilibrium.
But what makes your mix transparent is the use of proper recording/mixing/mastering technique. Using tools with fancy functions can also make you forget what is necessary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom