• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soffit Mounting Tutorial anyone?

Jaimo

I understand that soffit mounting main speakers is a studio best practice.

Is there any benefit with doing this in a domestic stereo system? Is there a well documented scientific approach that helps with optimal setup.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Soffit mounting is used in studios so that the window into the studio is left unobstructed. Better than soffit mounting is in-wall mounting either side of a window, but that is often a problem with space and/or size of the window. Whether soffit mounted or in-wall mounted, the techniques are the same, and would indeed suit home HiFi if building a dedicated listening room. It's pretty much impossible to do this with 'normal' home building methods, whether dry-wall or solid wall.

One very sensible and very close alternative to in-wall mounting is corner mounting where a triangular enclosure is fitted very close to, but not touching the walls, with the gap filled with a compliant material like silicone rubber or foam. The main problem in most houses is the absence of suitable corners, but again, if it's a new build music room then it's quite possible. I almost did it myself, but decided to move to another room in the house, so glad I didn't.

For lots of technical detail, have a read of Philip Newell's book, Recording Studio Design.

S.

Guermantes

Just be aware that most domestic speakers are designed to be free-standing, so you will probably need some EQ to adjust for a rise in bass response if you flush-mount them.

John Sayer's studio design site has an interesting forum with various people's practical experience of flush- and soffit-mounting speakers. There might be something in there that matches your situation: http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Reactions: JPA
Top Bottom