• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sofas

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
With a custom design, you get to choose where to put the cushion crack(s) with regard to the MLP.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leather is nasty for reflections, id avoid that .

That’s the theory. After the ferocious mini-lions shredded that expensive “royal hide” on our sofa we had it reupholstered in a cloth from Maharam (one of the HM approved fabrics). The room doesn’t sound any different. A taller sofa may have different effect though.

Tks

Major Contributor
Imagine my plight.. I'm vegan.

But yeah most stuff is pure garbage now. Until you can sit in it for a little while (and also be the type of person that knows exactly what to look for, and know exactly when such thing is met), there's no hope.

Like even custom work can be bad. My older leather sofa was pretty minimal, when it started losing it's constitution, the new stuff I tried just failed on some ergonomic sense or another. Granted, being a tall fuck doesn't help me - but it's just astounding. Anything that felt comfy, also came with an air of "while this is perfect, I know damn well this is not going to last".

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it is just getting older and things are more easily bothered. I rarely come across something that seems to sit really good for any length of time. In fact the best seats I'm aware of are in vehicles at least sometimes. I don't really want to be that guy who buys some seats from a car and mounts them on a wooden platform for his living room.

My other thought is maybe the car seats are comfortable because you are moving around a bit, rocking this way and that instead of just sitting there. So maybe I need the chair/sofa on some mechanism like a simulator to make sit like a car in motion on the highway. Hmmmm, don't think I want to be that guy either.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah, Volvo seats from the 80s!! They were considered 'perfect sitters' by many around here!! Hah! (Almost) been there, done that!!

Chairs vs sofas - big difference between those.

Chairs - my best task seater is the HM Aeron - mine is approaching 25yrs old, and still works nearly like new.
Best comfy chair has been a LazyBoy recliner - leather, and huge....problem is, I can never manage to stay awake in the silly thing....but will likely be the one that's left for me at the End of Days, after I've been forced to sell off all the Good Stuff:>
Dining room, also Eames shell style (I also still have 4 of my parents orginal fiberglass (blue!) ones from the 50s...darned near indestructable!) are surprisingly comfy.

Sofas - much bigger aesthetic impact, not to mention audio.
I like the 'spindly' looking Eames designs, but the Stickley stuff isn't bad (less good for audio) either.
Big, overstuffed, and soft...no thanks; my back is bad enough without having to try to get in and out of one of those things!!

You pays yer money and takes yer cherce.....:D

Midwest Blade

+++ on those Volvo car seats, we drove an S40 for 7 years and I could sit in those seats for hours.

Seating is very much a personal touch and everyone's opinion will vary.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:cool:
Weirdly, I never sat (or otherwise) in the back of a Volvo (244), but yah, maybe??
Front seats (as chairs) WERE surprisingly comfy.
Just saw one in half, and use the rear wheels to move it around?
:eek::)

Semla

Do any of our members have recent experience buying high-quality modern-looking sofas? Any views on Vitsoe seating?
FWIW, Vitsoe the company is fantastic to work with. I've been using their shelving system for almost 20 years now, moving countries along the way. Build quality is impeccable and it seems to holds its value well on the second hand market. Their designers will adapt your specific set of furniture whenever needed, for life - that's part of the price.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, Vitsoe the company is fantastic to work with. I've been using their shelving system for almost 20 years now, moving countries along the way. Build quality is impeccable and it seems to holds its value well on the second hand market. Their designers will adapt your specific set of furniture whenever needed, for life - that's part of the price.
Have you lived in the USA during that span? Few here seem to know what Vitsoe is.

Semla

Have you lived in the USA during that span? Few here seem to know what Vitsoe is.
No, but I did visit their showroom/offices in NY, discussed my needs and got to see everything in person, they also did a quick sketch. I had a complete design done afterwards by their UK HQ.

Top Bottom