• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sofas

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to bring silly audiophool considerations into sofa choice, but I have read suggestions that leather is more likely to create strong reflections at your listening position. For that reason, we should all sit on slabs of 8lbs/cubic foot rock wool. ;)
The audio room is separate.

This room will have an actual piano, and the only speakers will be mid-fi bookshelf speakers that are housed on a bookshelf....

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Love the durability, but my wife will never go for the style. We looked at Stickley, which was deemed too traditional.

Judging by the trucks we see up and down our street, the popular brands around here are Room and Board and Restoration Hardware. We went to Room and Board, and my sense is that it's a cut above West Elm/Crate and Barrel/Pottery Barn but at roughly double the outlay.

Per the suggestion of @jhaider, I looked at Knoll sofas. Something comparable to the four-seat Vitsoe will be $14K-$18K, so I'm starting to see that we are in the correct price ballpark if we want something that is both modern-looking and high-quality.
Almost all of my furniture came from R&B. It is more expensive than those lesser outfits you named, but also of considerably better quality and longevity. My media stand from Crate and Barrel won't survive a second move but I have no such concerns about any of my stuff from R&B.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real men listen to music on Python sofas:
1615760397940.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
We had custom sofas built by Lee Joffa. They were styled, sized and upholstered to our exact preferences. They are about 10years old now and as perfect as on day one. Pricey but worth it.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Obviously each merchant's return policy (and cost) is worth considering too.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Based on the Vitsoe link, is that industrial/ lounge look exactly what you are looking for or just a starting point?
There are many quality domestic manufacturers still in the game here in North America that offer a very broad range of styles and quality. You could start by shopping a few websites like Design Within Reach (retail), Thayer Coggin (mfg) just to get started. You would easily be able to find something under $17k with very good quality. Also suggest browsing design oriented web sites, NYC has a good base of higher end retail that may offer glimpses of what is available.
I am a retired home furnishings marketing executive, feel free to check in with any questions.
Do you have any knowledge of Bretz out of Berlin? We were in one of their stores in Nuremberg pre-COVID, liked the style and are thinking of ordering a couple pieces from them.

Midwest Blade

Do you have any knowledge of Bretz out of Berlin? We were in one of their stores in Nuremberg pre-COVID, liked the style and are thinking of ordering a couple pieces from them.

Sorry, have not come across Bretz in my travels.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We went to Room and Board, and my sense is that it's a cut above West Elm/Crate and Barrel/Pottery Barn but at roughly double the outlay.

That's about right. I often fail to see much quality distinction between Ikea and West Elm, but Room & Board tends to higher quality. The only thing about Room and Board is, most of their stuff is knockoff design or "inspired by." We have two lounge chairs in our living room from them in that vein, body "inspired by" the Hans Wegner wing chair but on hardwood instead of stainless steel legs. True, they also weren't ~$7500 a piece, which is what the originals in similar materials cost. I also really like the chairs! But had I known that they were aping something at time of purchase we probably would not have bought them.

Per the suggestion of @jhaider, I looked at Knoll sofas. Something comparable to the four-seat Vitsoe will be $14K-$18K, so I'm starting to see that we are in the correct price ballpark if we want something that is both modern-looking and high-quality.

I wanted to add send a link to our sofa from Herman Miller's website, but it appears to be discontinued. That is a pity. I've yet to see anything else I like as much aesthetically, that is comfortable to sit on and long enough for me to lie down on. But I guess the Milo Baughman x Eames bentwood aesthetic wasn't a commercial success.

Trouble Maker

Maybe I'm off base, but I feel like for that kind of money you could get something custom/hand made from a furniture maker that also does upholstery that's exactly what you want. Spending that kind of money on flat pack furniture feels... strange?

I feel like one should be able to get something nice, well made out of real wood and built to last for a few grand.

We've got a Thrive Furniture couch we really like.

1615819145397.png

It was made in California, out of all real wood. We've had it for 5+ years now and it's still in like new shape. But they went out of business, maybe bought by or turned into Rove Concepts. I've got a nagging suspicion that 'bought out' means restructured without baggage. Frustrating since one of the reasons we bought from Thrive was the lifetime warranty, which is now moot. Maybe company longevity for support is part of what you get in paying more? But if it's built well enough, does that matter? It's a shame because we really like one of Rove's bed frames and are shopping, but it's also veneered which turns me off at the price it is. I can't even tell from the listing if it's real solid wood underneath or not. Finally we will probably get a bed frame from this local shop, made in our city. We went to their showroom and everything is immaculately well done from a fit and finish standpoint. https://www.tyfinefurniture.com/

We also got a few smaller couches while living in Japan, made there that seems solid and I believe are made out of real wood. Not our picture, just a stock one from their site. We got the 2 pieces on the right. The come with really short screw in legs with plastic feet, but you can option for about 7" wooden legs that bring them up higher. https://eucas.jp/portfolio/neon2/
1615818694493.png

I think both our Thrive sofa w/ottoman and the set from Japan were somewhere around/just under $2k for each set.

Reactions: Tks

raif71

Major Contributor
Don't forget to get one of those foam cleaners. It'll keep your sofa looking fresh and clean. Something like this...
1615820187177.png

Neddy

That Vitsoe is sure interesting.
Comfort is such a tough one to assess (without 'advanced sitting' opportunities); design, yet another aspect.
So, consider your use cases closely!!

I have one of the Eames Soft Pad sofas (about the same price range), and - oddly - one of the Sitka's, as well.
The Eames is not well suited for large(r) people, but small ones love it (she was 5', he was 6'5"??).
https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/eames-sofa/226.html?lang=en_US
Matches the lounge chair nicely, too.
BUT the thing is stunning looking and pretty danged unique.
It is also pretty lightweight - very easy to spin around and use for audio/movie watching !!
It is NOT a 'napping sofa' however - it'll 'bite you' if you try that on it.
Both the HM Eames chair and sofa can leave your head above the bolsters for better listening, if that' a Thing.

I also had one of their Sofa Compacts, but sold it, it was just too 'unfriendly'.

The Sitka (or very similar - it was from DWR, via Sweden, I think?) is a nearly perfect napping sofa - a full 6' in length, so can lay full out on it - mmmm comfy!!
Mine has a natural fabric (100% linen) on it which unfortunately has not worn well (I tended to land on it after working on remodeling/woodworking projects!!), so the cushions look a bit worn...and the square side bolsters, with heavy use as a lie down sofa, tend to curve inwards.
It's also a heavy beast - too heavy for one person to move easily.

A tough decision...and one that can hurt for a long time if you get it 'wrong' !!!

Good luck!!

PS. Having trouble uploading pictures, will try again later.
_1020391 Eameses C SSM.JPG_1020387 Eameses C SSM.JPG_1020393 Eameses C SSM.JPG_1020396 Eameses C SSM.JPGIMG_20180115_084514625L200 ssm.jpg

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sitka (or very similar - it was from DWR, via Sweden, I think?) is a nearly perfect napping sofa - a full 6' in length, so can lay full out on it - mmmm comfy!!
Mine has a natural fabric (100% linen) on it which unfortunately has not worn well (I tended to land on it after working on remodeling/woodworking projects!!), so the cushions look a bit worn...and the square side bolsters, with heavy use as a lie down sofa, tend to curve inwards.
It's also a heavy beast - too heavy for one person to move easily.
When the delivery company, who arrived late, dropped off the Sitka from Article, it came in a huge box that did not indicate which way the couch was facing. When I opened the box, the couch was facing the wrong way, and there wasn't enough space in my small apartment to spin the couch around. The delivery people refused to come back and help me turn the couch around ("we don't help decorate apartments"). The phone call to Article calling them out on their poorly labeled box was one of the angriest I have ever made, but I got a free pillow out of it which I still have to this day. #winning

Neddy

Wait until your looking at 70 - napping becomes THE priority, like it or not (but also become somewhat less picky about it....nod nod snooze...).

Hah, I had a nearly similar experience, though in my case I have gobs of room for it (3 full sized sofa in the living room!)...but they had to lift that thing up and over a stub wall next to stairs....the damage that thing could have done if they'd lost it would have been epic. At a guess, that sucker weighs 200lbs? Oof. Good luck to anyone who has to get it out of here!

Top Bottom