• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sofas

devopsprodude

My family was very lucky to get out of Manhattan and move to a big house in the suburbs in late 2019.

Having found rugs and gotten window treatments installed earlier in the pandemic, my better half and I are now looking to outfit our living room with a piano and a sofa. We know folks who are advising us on pianos. However, finding a non-disposable sofa that suits our tastes has been challenging.

Most furniture sold new in the United States today seems to be disposable. A sofa purchased new from West Elm in 2017 came with the house, and it is in poor condition. I bought an item from Crate and Barrel in 2018. It is disposable fiberboard junk and has been relegated to the audio room to hold various boxes and wires.

Sadly, there is no Furniture Science Review, and I cannot find enlightening furniture reviews online. I am thus directing my queries to the only place I know of to get informed commentary on physical stuff.

We have looked at buying a four-seat Vitsoe couch with leather upholstery. Delivered to our home in Westchester County, NY, the all-in cost would be approximately--gulp--$17K. We both like Vitsoe seating, and in pre-COVID times, we spent an inordinate amount of time sitting in it in airport lounges. (I guess we are looking to replicate the airport experience at home.) It seems as though it will last a long time, but I don't know anyone who uses a Vitsoe chair or sofa in a private residence.

Do any of our members have recent experience buying high-quality modern-looking sofas? Any views on Vitsoe seating?
We like Dania and have this power reclining sofa https://daniafurniture.com/collections/sofas/products/lewen-power-reclining-sofa it's very nice. Definitely not disposable.

walt99

Forum Donor
Recently got new leather couches and chair from Hancock&Moore, great quality and we love em, got them direct from NC. Can recommend a dealer if interested. I posted a pic of my room recently I think in the Revel speaker thread.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Oddly, American Leather makes sofas upholstered in fabric as well as ones upholstered in leather.
Oddly, I thought it was a description and not a brand name.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
they should split into 2 operating units and call one American Pleather

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to all in this thread who offered suggestions and information, especially Midwest Blade bringing some serious domain expertise.

We ended up with a sofa from Room and Board and an armchair from Vitsoe. In part, the decision was made on the basis of delivery times. Other furniture manufacturers have been quoting >6 months for delivery because of commodity and labor shortages and high demand. As of today, we have all of our stuff, and the SO is very pleased.

I'd share a photo of the room, but it's a little too easy to triangulate our precise location using past Zillow ads, etc.

As always, ASR posters have more helpful information about material things than anyone I encounter in "real life." Thank you all very much.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bringing this thread back to life because we're moving to a new home in a new city, and it has a separate living room and family room. The Goetz sofa is going in the living room - along with a the first room-sized 2-channel audio system I'll have set up since I was in my 20s*; , , and my wife wants a sectional for the family room. Problem is, sectionals are all pretty terrible looking, and I especially dislike the look of a sofa with chaise section jutting out. It looks like it's sticking out its tongue! We went to R&B yesterday and saw an interesting twist: an angled chaise section. They had two of these, in their "Metro" and "York" lines. The image below is "Metro."

roomandboard

Is this a new thing? I haven't been in many people's homes since 2/2020 or thereabouts, but I've never seen this style in the wild. It appeals because it's less ugly, and the angle configures it such that somebody else could sit while I'm lying down. It's sort of 3.5-cushion width with a deep section.

Also, if anyone here knows of a good Chicago-area custom furniture maker feel free to DM me.

*Preliminary thoughts are miniDSP SHD Studio + 10x10HD, suitable amplification, NHT Xd satellites on dipole baffle bass bins each holding a pair of 10" ScanSpeak Revelator woofers, separate sub for ULF later if it ends up being necessary. Benefit is that everything except the cabinet for the dipole bass bin cabinet is on hand to make that happen. But 2-channel will still take a while; priority is going to be getting the wiring and speaker mounting done for the big bore 7.1.4 + multisubs system in the family room.

Midwest Blade

Main thing to consider is that it fits the room. Sectionals and modulars come in a variety of configurable pieces which make customizing to the room very easy. If it fits the room, is comfortable and you like the fabric and color you should be able to enjoy it for many years.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are looking for affordable mid-century modern sofas, Article.com is great. I ordered their Sitka couch 3.5 years ago based on a recommendation from Wirecutter.com, and now all of my furniture is from them. Couldn't be happier. Made of real pine with no cheap MDF or particle board to be found.

If your family is on the taller side (like if you are over 6 feet) then may not be the best choice because their furniture runs a little on the smaller side, so check the measurements carefully.

is that co. dead now?

Top Bottom