• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, what are recommendable amps below 200$?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question for those with a Play-fi device. How exactly does the streaming work? It seems as though it’s the phone that’s doing the streaming from the music service. Is that right?...

Play-Fi originally worked as you described..but the Play-Fi system is constantly being updated, so the answer is changing.

- Spotify works like it does on any other Spotify Streaming Device...that is, the stream is from the service to the device with the app just being the controller.
- Powergate is an Alexa Enabled Play-Fi Device, so if you initiate streaming from an Alexa voice controlled device or the Alexa app it works directly with the streaming service.

- Just about a month ago Play-Fi updated their system to allow direct streaming from other sources. See this news release. I use Spotify 90% of the time so I am not an expert on these changes...but I suggest you go to the Play-Fi Site and read the news releases and FAQs for best information.

unsound

Play-Fi originally worked as you described..but the Play-Fi system is constantly being updated, so the answer is changing.

- Spotify works like it does on any other Spotify Streaming Device...that is, the stream is from the service to the device with the app just being the controller.
- Powergate is an Alexa Enabled Play-Fi Device, so if you initiate streaming from an Alexa voice controlled device or the Alexa app it works directly with the streaming service.

- Just about a month ago Play-Fi updated their system to allow direct streaming from other sources. See this news release. I use Spotify 90% of the time so I am not an expert on these changes...but I suggest you go to the Play-Fi Site and read the news releases and FAQs for best information.

Great info, thanks!

estuardo4

Amir today reviewed the PWAMP from Paradigm. Sadly, it measures worse than the Powerlink and several others. It is really a shame. I was hoping for better resuts because I wanted to try ARC DSP. But now, if I want to try ARC, I'll wait for the PWLink to lower its price.

What a bummer :(

Vincent

Other way around. That the amp may not be enough for the speakers. And more specifically, at the high end of volume. This may not be the case in actuality, but when I put them up at about 50/60 volume, it just felt like the speakers were starting to feel like they were struggling somehow. Not sure how to describe it. And the only reason I have to support the theory that it's the amp, is that the SA98e didn't have that happen when I cranked it up to about a similar volume level, and that amp has about double the wattage per channel. Not only this, but I contacted KEF directly and they recommended to err on the side of higher wattage (on the supplied range of power requirements of 10-100W). I can only imagine that this is due to risk of clipping. However, as I mentioned for my typical usage, namely, as desktop speakers where I won't be going anywhere near that volume anyway, it should never be a problem, so I'm not worried.
Hi Stefan! As DA-8 has 2 separate double RCA inputs, do you know if it remembers the last used volume on each of them separately or if both keep the same common volume? Thank you!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio offer a couple of very affordable integrated amplifiers in their Topaz range. I suspect that measured performance probably isn't great but they appear to be nicely made, are available from dealers for ease of return if necessary and I suspect that their audible performance is fine.

I have a DX3pro for which I'm looking for a good, small, not too expensive amp. I always hear good stories about the SMSL AD18, but I'm not really interested in all the other features (BT, DAC), as I'm only looking for an amp to drive bookshelf speakers.

With that in mind, does someone have any experience with something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lus...hout-Volume-Adjustment-T0536/33032517026.html

Astray

I've been hunting around for a decent small/class D amp and recently came across some fairly inexpensive ICEpower based 125W - 2 channel amps that should have some very good measurements based on the data sheet from ICEpower here. It appears you can pick one of these up delivered to the US from Aliexpress from $200 to $260 depending on what features/quality a may case have. I was actually considering picking this one up but figured I should consult with others here before doing so.

Willem

Major Contributor
But do realize that the specifications are a bit inflated. In a more traditional way at 8 Ohm and at lower distortipn levels it would be about 50 watts per channel.
Personally I like to have ample power. So I recently bought the discontinued 2x250 watt rms at 8 Ohm Yamaha P2500s for my son for 300 euro (about $350). Build quality is impeccable (and it is, of course, virtually indestructable), but is not a miniature amp. Its bigger sister, the P3500s, was measured here: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...mpli-yamaha-p3500s-mise-a-jour-t30056383.html In short: it is excellent, also for domestic use.

Last edited:

estuardo4

I've been hunting around for a decent small/class D amp and recently came across some fairly inexpensive ICEpower based 125W - 2 channel amps that should have some very good measurements based on the data sheet from ICEpower here. It appears you can pick one of these up delivered to the US from Aliexpress from $200 to $260 depending on what features/quality a may case have. I was actually considering picking this one up but figured I should consult with others here before doing so.

Astray, I'd agree with you, but I have a better option IMHO.

I dismissed the PowerAmp from Paradigm after Amir's review, but I bought one at discount for $180 USD just to try ARC and I believe this is the better amp to buy below the $200 mark. It is not the cleanest nor a powerful amp, but the ARC software is what sets it apart. You won't find a better value today. I bought the Powergate from Klipsch and I've already sold it. The ARC DSP software has make more changes to the quality of music and the way I place my speakers or treat my room.

As an alternative, you can buy the Powerlink and place it between your DAC and the amp you linked to, and trust me, you won't believe what $250 USD can bought you in terms of music entertainment (the ICE amp and the Powerlink).

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy a used NAD C370. Between 150,- en 200,- euro you have 15 year old top class amp which techology is similar as today's NAD amp's which cost now around 2000 euro.

Last edited:

Astray

But do realize that the specifications are a bit inflated. In a more traditional way at 8 Ohm and at lower distortipn levels it would be about 50 watts per channel.
Personally I like to have ample power. So I recently bought the discontinued 2x250 watt rms at 8 Ohm Yamaha P2500s for my son for 300 euro (about $350). Build quality is impeccable (and it is, of course, virtually indestructable), but is not a miniature amp. Its bigger sister, the P3500s, was measured here: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...mpli-yamaha-p3500s-mise-a-jour-t30056383.html In short: it is excellent, also for domestic use.
I'm only powering some Infinity R162s (20W - 150W is recommended) on my desktop computer and I don't really need them to be loud or they'll make my roommates angry so I think 50W should be fine, I just want it to be as clean and small as possible without being ridiculously expensive. I could look at building an ICEpower with more wattage if needed probably.

Astray, I'd agree with you, but I have a better option IMHO.

I dismissed the PowerAmp from Paradigm after Amir's review, but I bought one at discount for $180 USD just to try ARC and I believe this is the better amp to buy below the $200 mark. It is not the cleanest nor a powerful amp, but the ARC software is what sets it apart. You won't find a better value today. I bought the Powergate from Klipsch and I've already sold it. The ARC DSP software has make more changes to the quality of music and the way I place my speakers or treat my room.

As an alternative, you can buy the Powerlink and place it between your DAC and the amp you linked to, and trust me, you won't believe what $250 USD can bought you in terms of music entertainment (the ICE amp and the Powerlink).

What is this powerlink you're talking about? And what does the ARC DSP software do that's so impressive? I'm just trying to setup a 2.1 for my desktop computer, not trying to be super fancy here.

BillG

Major Contributor
I'm only powering some Infinity R162s (20W - 150W is recommended) on my desktop computer and I don't really need them to be loud or they'll make my roommates angry so I think 50W should be fine

To give you an idea of how loud 50 watts can drive those speakers, I happen to own them as well, here's a calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I'm driving mine with a Klipsch PowerGate, which is rated at 50 watts continuous into 8 ohms with 100 watt peaks, and it gets plenty loud. It's a nice amp for the money when on sale, and has been reviewed here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

That ICEPower based amp you linked to looks like a great value. However, a DAC for it may come in handy for the future... :cool:

Astray

To give you an idea of how loud 50 watts can drive those speakers, I happen to own them as well, here's a calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I'm driving mine with a Klipsch PowerGate, which is rated at 50 watts continuous into 8 ohms with 100 watt peaks, and it gets plenty loud. It's a nice amp for the money when on sale, and has been reviewed here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

That ICEPower based amp you linked to looks like a great value. However, a DAC for it may come in handy for the future... :cool:
Of course! The only reason I'd consider something like this is that I'm planning to get a DAC/AMP combo for headphones like the DX3Pro on top of the amp unit. I don't need the best of the best, but I'd like to get the best I can within a reasonable budget and besides the MX3 or AD18, Topping and ASML seem like great brands for that.

BillG

Major Contributor
The only reason I'd consider something like this is that I'm planning to get a DAC/AMP combo for headphones like the DX3Pro on top of the amp unit.

Well, if that's the case, and you already like SMSL, I'd spend a bit more and get this - It's ICEPower based, has a good DAC, and a headphone amp as well:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/07/review-smsl-a6-integrated-amplifier.html

And if you're after that exact same module as that you linked to, there's this:

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=140

All the best... :cool:

Astray

Well, if that's the case, and you already like SMSL, I'd spend a bit more and get this - It's ICEPower based, has a good DAC, and a headphone amp as well:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/07/review-smsl-a6-integrated-amplifier.html

And if you're after that exact same module as that you linked to, there's this:

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=140

All the best... :cool:
The A8 is tempting but a bit high out of what I'd like to spend budget wise and doesn't have any review by Amir yet. Not sure about the A6 considering it's older and likely needs to be purchased used 3rd party via eBay, but if I could grab it for a reasonable price I might consider it. I just picked up a PowerGate for $130 off eBay and will be returning my MX3 to Amazon as a result, but I'll be looking out for an upgrade considering PowerGates are going for $180-200 if you're patient.

Astray

Here's SMSL's official store on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3135026

I've dealt with AliExpress numerous times and have never had a problem with it... :cool:

At that price the A6 isn't worthwhile in my opinion, especially since I saw the A8 at $499 very recently. I looked up that SPL calculator and 50W was straight up overkill for the speakers, even at 20W dB was above 110 and I would never listen to it anywhere near there. If the PowerGate doesn't satisfy me then I'll look into getting this or the DA-8.

Top Bottom