• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, what are recommendable amps below 200$?

BillG

Major Contributor
Please don't send it to him as it is, the general consensus on the diyaudio.com forum is that the Vocopro preamp module really ruins that amp.

I'm going to have to differ with you here: If the unit is being sold that way, then it should be tested as is. One of the goals of this site is to investigate various manufacturers implementations. Ex. Both of PS Audio Sprout 100 and Yamaha WXA-50 appear to be using the same ICEpower module, this is based on the results of an analysis, yet the latter was found to best the former... :cool:

hyperknot

But people only buy the Vocopro because it's a closeout product and it's cheaper to buy at $99 this than a genuine module + chassis + cables + connectors would be. It's not even a home audio product, but a specialzied karaoke equipment for a low price. What people are most interested in I believe is the performance of the module, like how it'd be in a Ghent Audio case kit, but for half the price.

To be honest, it'd be very interesting to measure this product both with and without that preamp board, and compare the performance.

hyperknot

I've just read both the Sprout and the Yamaha reviews, and I found the Yamaha one to be quite positive on the amp section. The Sprout was not, but it's a different module, an ICEpower 100AS2.

sychan

Forum Donor
Are you sure about that? The reason I ask is because the power output at 4 Ohms was similar on each device... :)

I remember reading that the Sprout100 used a different Icepower module as well. Here's the board on the left side in the Sprout100 from Amir's review:
index.php

Here's a picture of the 125ASX2:
125pro-1.jpg

They are obviously different. Though you might expect family similarities in performance since they are both Icepower. In any case, I bought the amp on the premise that if the preamp was good, I'd run with it, but if the preamp wasn't good I would salvage the Icepower module and enclosure, and maybe pickup a JDS Atom as a preamp. I think most of the people on the DIYAudio thread were looking at cannibalizing the 125ASX2 module - even the possibly cloned 125ASX2 modules on AliExpress are about $120.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I have purchased SMSL SA300, but I am still in return window for this product. Now, one Pionneer A-10AE-B came up as show room example for 150€. Would it be better purchase for a desktop setup. In that case, I would be adding an D10s or E30 as DAC?

Top Bottom