• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So this thing costs 43k....

elberoth

$43K, you can have a 3 series BMW for that, or a Jeep Wrangler with some options.

I'm pretty sure an avg AN DAC 5 Special owner has a BMW 7-series in his garage (or better!) and simply does not care. It is just a question of perpective and available means.

I have had the Kondo M1000mk2 preamp in my system ($140.000) and Kondo Ongaku integrated ($100.000) and although my Purifi based Nord amps measure probably like 100x better - both of those amps were super impressive in SQ terms. I would love to have a second system based on the Ongaku.

To each his own.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure an avg AN DAC 5 Special owner has a BMW 7-series in his garage (or better!) and simply does not care. It is just a question of perpective and available means.

I have had the Kondo M1000mk2 preamp in my system ($140.000) and Kondo Ongaku integrated ($100.000) and although my Purifi based Nord amps measure probably like 100x better - both of those amps were super impressive in SQ terms. I would love to have a second system based on the Ongaku.

To each his own.

So, what's your ride?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And price is irrelevant; people pay what they consider relevant.
Who benefits the most; the listener buyer or the engineering dealer?
What counts is the sound to the owner's own set of ears..be it the mufflers of a Harley or the pitch black background of a DAC. If one likes one how can he judge someone to not have the same one?
You just can't fix stupid.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I only looked at the pictures.

For $43k, it should at least look gorgeous.

Not like a DIY PC turned sideways.

Branding fail.
With some people it's not about performance or looks, it's strictly bragging rights to the price tag.
Like I said, you can't fix stupid. LOL

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If all you nimrods, knew anything at all about audio, you would know that phenolic paper circuit boards, have a MUCH MUCH WARMER and MORE ORGANIC sound than Green Fiberglass.

:cool:

I can't believe you're posting such bullshit.

Phenolic paper is crap.

Papyrus circuit boards are for those who have taste and can afford the best.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
With some people it's not about performance or looks, it's strictly bragging rights to the price tag.
Like I said, you can't fix stupid. LOL

For half the price, I could put an RME DAC inside one of those expensive sex dolls and have something that both looked and performs better.

wmd014-08.jpg

Okay, she's not my type, but they have other options....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Okay, she's not my type, but they have other options....
Naw, you can probably do much better and cheaper with the real thing at college_cuties.com :p

pastorbarrett

I actually own of these and it's fantastic though I route through mine through my Ciúnas DAC for extra warmth and of course the wife calls in from the adjoining room and queries, "Hey honey, did you change something in the system" and I say, "Quit it, woman, I'm busy listening to pure liquid gold!" and I don't bother with punctuation because everything sounds fantastic thanks everyone and thanks AudioNote.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@watchnerd, I caught that post you deleted, probably was best before I replied. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not that I would buy one, it would mean I had $43K I didn't need for something else!
Like a good down payment on a 2020 C8 Corvette !!!

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
In 2012 HiFi Critic reviewed a £192k Audio Note CDP+DAC <https://www.audionote.co.uk/fifth-element-force> (link to review there) so that would be it. Truly insane on many levels "While very few examples will be made and sold at such extravagant prices, we owe a debt to the Audio Note UK team for showing just what is possible. Here is a CD player which really can give high end analogue a run for its money.".
It's total madness. At some point it's totally unrelated to an engineering or objective performance, and more trying to maximize the psychoacoustic experience and bragging rights.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's total madness. At some point it's totally unrelated to an engineering or objective performance, and more trying to maximize the psychoacoustic experience and bragging rights.

If you're going to blow $192k on audio, at least get something like the Nagra HD line, which will probably measure well and looks like you spent a ton of money:

nagra-hd-preamp-all3-1920x1080.jpg

HD-Amp-Big-2-1920x1080.jpg

Why spend $192k on stuff that looks home-built?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has not AN done weird things like passive I/V stages with silver transformers in the past? To kill all linearity even before the music hits the tubes :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If you're going to blow $192k on audio, at least get something like the Nagra HD line, which will probably measure well and looks like you spent a ton of money:

Hey darling can I buy this Nagra DAC and amp combo ...

half-entity-inflatable-doll-sexual-intercourse.jpg

.... Well she did not say no, She never doses and that's why I love her.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

When the price matches the sample rate, I think there's a problem.
Course, maybe that adds to the mysterious quantum synergies that are unknowable to those of us who allocate our resources a little differently...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When the price matches the sample rate, I think there's a problem.
Course, maybe that adds to the mysterious quantum synergies that are unknowable to those of us who allocate our resources a little differently...

Oh, I'm not saying it's sensible.

But at least it *looks* like a status symbol. People would probably believe you spent a lot.

The Audio Note looks like it could be found at flea market for <$200.

Last edited:
Top Bottom