• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So pre-amp mode only applies to the L and R channels? (2020 Denon/Marantz AVRs) Looking for some buying advice...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As to using other than sub pre-outs for the subs (why you would need the regular channel pre-outs for such is beyond me) just use the designated sub pre-outs. I generally only have to use the input level adjust for low input level sources like a turntable (but that's just to help the volume control be more equal over various sources, won't provide "extra" output).

Thanks a lot Peng! Yes the Yamaha has only xlr inputs. I bought two xlr connectors and wired them to to a rca.There was totally no sound coming out from the Yamaha.Btw,the yamaha was bought second hand could be faulty.I've since returned the yamaha to the seller.
Abt using the Denon's internal amplifiers,are you referring to the Assignable channels? Someone told me I could use the unused Assignable chanels to power passive subwoofers. Is that true?
Also,I found that the 4308 has input level controls that can be be set higher than the default 0 db. Is it ok to increase these input level controls? B'cos I normally stream music from you tube and sometimes the sound seem quite soft.The denon's volume has to be ard -10db in order to get good sound output.
Much appreciate your help with these issues.

Last edited:

kevin1969

Pretty sure the preamps outs are always active according to their assignments, but I have not tested this as it does not apply to my use cases.

The 2020 Denon receivers have 2 presets you can assign. I show how to do this in the later pages of the 4700 review thread. I use preamp only mode for stereo listening, as I use an external amp for the front pair, and I have this set as preset 1. For all video sources, I disconnect the front pair amps, but use the center and surround amps. This is preset 2. I use my universal remote to set the preset for each activity.

Okay that's cool because if I can make a quick preset to drop it into preamp only mode then that's perfect!!!

Although I just had to buy a new dishwasher so these things will have to wait. The noise floor on the dishwasher is phenomenal though so I've got that going for me.

Maejstictone

The X4700H has a pre-amp mode that disconnect all 9 channels of the internal power amps. If you only want to disconnect the FL and FR channels then you can use the amp assign feature. Otherwise, if you use the pre-amp mode then it will disconnect all channels.
Peng,

Just to add some clarity to my insanity, if I am using an external 5 channel amp to my X4700 to run my 5 channels and adding 2 more channels directly to the X4700 and I on the right path ? Eventually I will be picking up a 7 channel amp which at that time the X4700 will be switched to a pre-amp only...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peng,

Just to add some clarity to my insanity, if I am using an external 5 channel amp to my X4700 to run my 5 channels and adding 2 more channels directly to the X4700 and I on the right path ? Eventually I will be picking up a 7 channel amp which at that time the X4700 will be switched to a pre-amp only...

I assume you mean using 2 of the 9 internal amps? In that case you cannot use preamp mode but you can assign the FL/FR to pre out. It most likely won't make any audible difference, but it can be done.

As to "right path", it depends on your reasons for going with external amps. If it is for output "power" need, then I think you should use one of those online calculator to find out you actual need first so you won't be spending money for no gain. If it is about keeping the unit cool ($20 on ext. fans would go a long way), and feeling good to own a power amp, or just to have some flexibility in case you want to do a speaker upgrade down the road, move to a bigger room etc., that may result in needing more power, then it may be the "right path". Regardless you should keep in mind 2X the power output only gain you 3 dB more SPL, that is a fact. So right path or not, it depends, it could be any of the following (just examples):

- Don't bother with any ext. amp now, decide later when you know you have the real need.
- Start with just 2 or 3 channel ext. amp for now, and see what happens. For example, if you start with something like the Monolith 200WX3, you can always add a 5 channel Outlaw for the surround speakers later.

Maejstictone

I assume you mean using 2 of the 9 internal amps? In that case you cannot use preamp mode but you can assign the FL/FR to pre out. It most likely won't make any audible difference, but it can be done.

As to "right path", it depends on your reasons for going with external amps. If it is for output "power" need, then I think you should use one of those online calculator to find out you actual need first so you won't be spending money for no gain. If it is about keeping the unit cool ($20 on ext. fans would go a long way), and feeling good to own a power amp, or just to have some flexibility in case you want to do a speaker upgrade down the road, move to a bigger room etc., that may result in needing more power, then it may be the "right path". Regardless you should keep in mind 2X the power output only gain you 3 dB more SPL, that is a fact. So right path or not, it depends, it could be any of the following (just examples):

- Don't bother with any ext. amp now, decide later when you know you have the real need.
- Start with just 2 or 3 channel ext. amp for now, and see what happens. For example, if you start with something like the Monolith 200WX3, you can always add a 5 channel Outlaw for the surround speakers later.

Hey Peng
I did use the online calculator and did determine that the X4700 was more than enough power and like some of us types that just feel that needing an external amp is a requirement to justify our lamented mindset and it looking really cool in the cabinet like we really know are stuff. I waited a very long time to be able to be in the position to do what I am assembling now. Now, logically do I really need it ? I believe its a placebo effect to be honest with you since this is something I've always wanted and now that I have it... Ehhh but for our viewing, listening area, and my age, I doubt highly that I would be watching or listening to anything at reference levels.

Going from an Onkyo TX-SR393 to Denon X4700 and going from Ultracube 10 sub to the PB16 Ultra subs made unworldly difference. I won't pretend to be even close to all the knowledge that is on this forum and value highly all the reviews and suggestions from other forums as well has made an impact on my knowledge and with that comes the wants and needs but again, is it really needed ? I say the same thing every time a new camera body is introduced, do I really need it ? Now, if I can get my hands on Monolith 7x200 maybe I will throw that placebo effect out the window :D, Thank goodness I have an extremely loving wife who would give me the world if she could afford it.

But getting back to the original question, I do have the X4700 plugged into Acurus A125x5 with 5 channels plugged (speakers) into the amp and the rear surrounds plugged into the X4700. I know that getting the amp wasn't going to make any significant change other than taking the load off the AVR. But am I truly running those 5 channels through the amp since no changes were done as to the preamp mode ?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Peng

But getting back to the original question, I do have the X4700 plugged into Acurus A125x5 with 5 channels plugged (speakers) into the amp and the rear surrounds plugged into the X4700. I know that getting the amp wasn't going to make any significant change other than taking the load off the AVR. But am I truly running those 5 channels through the amp since no changes were done as to the preamp mode ?

I didn't know you have a power amp already. If you have the Acurus A125, then why not just use it for the surround channel, and get the Monolith 200 WX3 for the LCR? Other options could include the Anthem MCA325, Cambridge Audio Azur 851W (2 channel)+ Outlaw M2220, or for practical value not the look, pick the right combination of channels from the Buckeye amps that ASR has reviewed.

(5) Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement! | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I just think the 7 channel Monolith may be a huge over kill for the surround channels but again if you feel like owning a heavy duty power amp then the Monolith does seem like the best you can do for under $2,000.

Actually even Monolith understand the real need (usually less) of the surround channels so they also sell one that offers only 100 W for those channels:

Amazon.com: Monoprice Monolith 9 Channel Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs (3x200 Watts + 6x100 Watts): Electronics

Maejstictone

I didn't know you have a power amp already. If you have the Acurus A125, then why not just use it for the surround channel, and get the Monolith 200 WX3 for the LCR? Other options could include the Anthem MCA325, Cambridge Audio Azur 851W (2 channel)+ Outlaw M2220, or for practical value not the look, pick the right combination of channels from the Buckeye amps that ASR has reviewed.

(5) Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement! | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I just think the 7 channel Monolith may be a huge over kill for the surround channels but again if you feel like owning a heavy duty power amp then the Monolith does seem like the best you can do for under $2,000.

Actually even Monolith understand the real need (usually less) of the surround channels so they also sell one that offers only 100 W for those channels:

Amazon.com: Monoprice Monolith 9 Channel Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs (3x200 Watts + 6x100 Watts): Electronics

Peng,

Thank you for the reply, I will look into some these options...

kieran

So, going back to the original post/question... the subject line, and the OP, both include "Marantz"... do the SRx015 AVRs from Marantz also have a pre-amp mode? I couldn't find mention of it on their website....

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, going back to the original post/question... the subject line, and the OP, both include "Marantz"... do the SRx015 AVRs from Marantz also have a pre-amp mode? I couldn't find mention of it on their website....

Yes, but your are right, not on the website home page but in the downloadable manual:

1618231207205.png

kevin1969

Pretty sure the preamps outs are always active according to their assignments, but I have not tested this as it does not apply to my use cases.

The 2020 Denon receivers have 2 presets you can assign. I show how to do this in the later pages of the 4700 review thread. I use preamp only mode for stereo listening, as I use an external amp for the front pair, and I have this set as preset 1. For all video sources, I disconnect the front pair amps, but use the center and surround amps. This is preset 2. I use my universal remote to set the preset for each activity.

Yes the pre-outs must be always on since that's what's working for me right now. I think I was confused that you needed to have preamp mode on to activate any of the pre-outs at all. Now I understand that this is just to disconnect the internal amps for pure pre-out mode.

David Harper

I'm using a Yammy RX-A 780 AVR as a preamp feeding an external amp. The menus in the AVR are pretty confusing but I think it senses whether or not wires are connected to the amp outputs and if there are none it shuts them off but I'm just guessing. There is no "pre-amp mode" selection anywhere in the menus so I'm guessing the pre-outs are always active. I don't have anything connected to any of the AVR's amp outputs. I've got all the surround speaker settings set to "none". Only thing I'm not sure of is if the L & R front speaker outputs are active or shut off. Or if that makes any difference. The AVR is cold all the time now and before I got the external amp and I was using the internal AVR amp it was always warm and sometimes somewhat hot. Also I don't know if the AVR's sound processing settings affect the pre-outs. I'm guessing they don't. I think the pre-outs are a straight 2 channel stereo output. But maybe the AVR tone controls do affect them. I don't use tone controls and everything is set to "flat". Even the AVR manual reads like it was written by a japanese guy who's english isn't very good. Same with the menus in it.

Top Bottom