• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So my Focal Aria 948 is dead

HellcatJB

My Chora 826 just completely stopped working. The terminals gave an OL reading but the bottom woofer I removed shows 8ohms. I can't see anything visually wrong with the crossover. I'm tempted to turn my volume way down and bypass the crossover. Each driver has its own leads from the crossover so I wouldn't think the problem is down the line. I have always wanted to upgrade a crossover. But hell as far as I know it could be anything. I tried multiple channels and cables and it's definitely the speaker
20230715_162507.jpg

Penelinfi

Things to check : were you blasting it with loud volume - protection device or cap may have died
Wires to speaker drivers
Solder joints

But if the speaker completely stopped on all drivers, check the solder points, leads for the terminal cup to crossover . If you are careful, touch the speaker leads directly to input on crossover PCB.

Cheap amp with protection is ideal if you have an expensive amp that will pop if you do bad things with it

HellcatJB

Things to check : were you blasting it with loud volume - protection device or cap may have died
Wires to speaker drivers
Solder joints

But if the speaker completely stopped on all drivers, check the solder points, leads for the terminal cup to crossover . If you are careful, touch the speaker leads directly to input on crossover PCB.

Cheap amp with protection is ideal if you have an expensive amp that will pop if you do bad things with it
You were right. The leads from the terminals to the crossover board are thick flat bars. When the 2 pieces were attached, the flat edges and natural tension held them together so well that I thought they were still attached. Easy fix

HellcatJB

Wires to speaker drivers
Solder joints

So I've received the soldering supplies and now I have to figure out how I'm going to tackle this. About 3/8" broke off of the "bar" for lack of a better word and I can only see a few options. 1) straighten the broken one and hope it'll reach. 2) replace 1 or both with heavy gauge speaker wire or 3) find a way to remake the "bars" out of copper. Focal has the complete crossover for $90, I'm already approaching that figure. Too late now, in for a penny.

Attachments

• 20230721_101853.jpg
    20230721_101853.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230721_101836.jpg
    20230721_101836.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom