• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So maybe answered before, but what does an X4800H get you over an X3800H?

Sycraft

I'm mulling a new receiver since I have a nice shiny new OLED that does 120Hz VRR and a big gaming PC that can drive it, but there are annoying issues with feeding the TV direct from the computer. My current receiver (X4400H) doesn't do HDMI 2.1 so no 120fps for me.

So I'm debating a new receiver but nothing thrills me, and the nice ones that I REALLY want are just too much more than I'm willing to spend (like an Arcam AVR21). These two are the top candidates given that I've used Denon now and in the past, and they are fine. Sadly, it seems like the shot their prices up and they are staying there. Going to the X4800H makes sense since it is the same model range that I have now but at $2500 I'm just debating if I really want to spend that much.

What would I trade off going with an X3800H? I don't see anything obvious at first glance, but it isn't like Denon has a great set of info on their site.

Amps are not a big concern, the receiver will drive the 4 surround speakers, the 3 mains are driven by an XPA-5.

If anyone has other recommendations, I'm open to them. Only requirements are full HDMI 2.1 support including VRR, ability to do 7.1, and external amp connectors. I don't hate the Dirac Live option though, as I've used that on my studio computer and it is bar none the best room correction I've heard. It's not a must, given that the great room where the TV sits is hardly ideal and my girlfriend is not willing to let me go nuts fixing that :)

OP
S

Sycraft

You can't do eARC ?
No, or at least not without issues.

So eARC itself just doesn't work. I don't know why. ARC does, and I can turn on eARC and the devices act like they are doing it, but audio fails. I don't know if it is the receiver (X4400H), TV (S95B), or a combo of them that is the issue but it is stereo only for the audio return channel.

Well, I actually have a SHARC V2 which solves the problem... sort of. It does get multi-channel sound back to the receiver but there's two issues:

1) Only 5.1. That's a TV limitation. For reasons known only to the doinks working at Samsung, the S95B does only 5.1 for eARC, not 7.1. That means I either need to not use my rear speakers, which because of the non-ideal setup and the way games do audio decreases the surround effect a lot, or I have to enable Dolby surround to try and bring it back, which hurts localization of sound. It works, I tried it but the results weren't ideal.

2) If I want to use the receiver to do switching for the rest of the inputs, I now have a loop which means the TV can't be turned on since it gets the on/off signal looped back and shuts itself right back off. You have to turn off the SHARC, turn on the TV, then turn it back on. Since the SHARC doesn't do IR control that means getting up.

The issues may be S95B related, it does not have what I would call good firmware... but man it has a nice panel in it. I'd rather keep it and get a new receiver than get a new TV and keep the receiver.

There's a good wiki on the Home Theater PC reddit that might help you.

I can't get ARC/eARC to work with the PC either. Since I'm using an Ultrawide 144Hz monitor and the Marantz SR6014 is only HDMI 2.0 (which doesn't support ultrawide res and refresh rates beyond 60Hz), here's the rather peculiar setup.

RTX 3080 DP output -> Monitor
RTX 3080 HDMI -> AVR Input (any will do)

Under Windows "Display" settings, set the screen to Extend. Set the primary display (monitor) to native resolution and 144Hz and secondary display (AVR) to 1080p 60Hz.
Under Windows "Sound" settings, select the AVR as the default output, then "Configure" to 7.1 channels, and then default format to 24bit 192kHz.

If you're going for the X3800H, then the setup method should become much more simpler since you can just hook up the PC to the AVR and then to the TV. They should run at 4K 120Hz no problem.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
X4800H has the following:

One additional HDMI input.

Marginally more amplifier power (total wall consumption is listed as 50 watts higher)

Composite and component video inputs.

A third HDMI output for mirroring content to multiple displays.

Zone 3 output, for multi-room audio.

-----------

In terms of room correction and audio/video format support, they are identical.

bigjohns97

I have the 3800h and the s95b, eARC will not work unless you encode the sound to one of the supported formats, you can't send uncompressed multichannel audio and have it come down through the eARC connection. You can validate this with a PS5 as well.

I would go with the 3800h, I came from a 4200x and the upgrade was very noticeable.

EDIT: Or you can do what WestSide said above if you have enough DP/HDMI ports.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
X4800H has the following:

One additional HDMI input.

Marginally more amplifier power (total wall consumption is listed as 50 watts higher)

Composite and component video inputs.

A third HDMI output for mirroring content to multiple displays.

Zone 3 output, for multi-room audio.

-----------

In terms of room correction and audio/video format support, they are identical.
It also has:

2-line display vs 1
Much better remote
More options regarding what you can do with extra zones
HDMI conversion when using composite sources (think old game consoles)
Likely other small things not found easily online

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 4800H is made in Japan - there's a review coming up.

The tough call is the 3800H coupled with an Emotiva Basx3.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI the measurements of AVR-X4800H are completed and awaiting review by Denon Japan. With the change in ownership, there are some changes in that process so I am not sure of when I get an answer. But hope to be able to publish it in the coming week.

theBruce

FYI the measurements of AVR-X4800H are completed and awaiting review by Denon Japan. With the change in ownership, there are some changes in that process so I am not sure of when I get an answer. But hope to be able to publish it in the coming week.
How about a hint, manly on the pre outs, better then the 3800?

If not, I give up and going to buy the Anthem 70.

Vovgan

Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about a hint, manly on the pre outs, better then the 3800?

If not, I give up and going to buy the Anthem 70.
I feel better about it than the 3800. :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel better about it than the 3800. :)

Thank you very much for doing it. Did you include some tests that were not done before on AVRs?

Regardless, we all know it is much more time consuming to review and measure an AVR than DAC and even AVP, because it has so many functions in one box. This reminds me it is time to make contribution/donation again!:) May wait a little though, for the C$ to go just a little higher.

krysprolls

Amirm : Any news from Denon Japan for the validation of your measurements of the AVR-X4800H ?

sask15

Latest update from RF AIR who lent his 4800 to Amir for testing and is in communication with him as to when it might be posted-

“Amir has completed the tests and sent his results to Denon. They have asked him to wait before he publishes his Review. There was a vacation last week which delayed the response by at least a week. I expect Amir to have the Review results published by this week. Amir wants to get this posted and has communicated to Denon his intentions.
I think the delay is with Denon who has not yet confirmed his results, and they have asked for Amir to give them time. Not sure what is going on with Denon with the Corporate buyout changes, but it has delayed Amir with getting his response.

Please know I am checking several times everyday, expecting it to be posted anytime now.”

RF Air

Forum Donor

Top Bottom