• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So I stopped in at a recycling centre while out for a drive...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We don't have recycling centres or 'tip shops' anymore, so I was surprised to see when out for a country drive over the border yesterday, a sign that took my eye.

A winding road through cane fields and I came to a volunteer run 'tip shop'.

$11 total and I picked up :

• Yamaha CDR-HD1300 CD/CDR/HDD recorder in average condition, but functional.
  • A brand new, unused Corsair Computer PSU still in it's box
  • A original U-Turn Orbit turntable with belt and AT cartridge (unused by the looks of it). Lid needs a polish as it's a bit scuffed.
IMG_2892 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2893 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2894 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2895 (Small).jpeg

• Two nice small cut-glass bowls (for our two cats)
  • An extremely cool retro 6 digit early 70s Japanese handheld calculator (I collect them)
IMG_2891 (Small).jpeg

• And a monster HP signal generator (1-1200MHz). 8660D with 86634A, 86602B and internal 11661B options. It weighs over 30Kg.
IMG_2876 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2880 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2881 (Small).jpeg

IMG_2886 (Small).jpeg

• A couple of plugpacks and a CD

The list price of the signal generator with the options fitted was just under US$30,000 back in the day. It's missing its top and bottom panel but other than that, it works. You want to see build quality? Look no further.

I found a price list for the C version, this is the D version with a more 'modern' keypad and entry system. Just that perforated can in the middle (the 11661B was US$5100 on its own!) price list attached as a pdf. (scroll to last page to see the prices)

What a waste to throw away, but they are worthless now I guess. Anyway, I'm going to use the old girl for a bit, just for fun.

Attachments

• HP8660CDataSheet(1).pdf
    268.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
We don't have recycling centres or 'tip shops' anymore, so I was surprised to see when out for a country drive over the border yesterday, a sign that took my eye.

• Yamaha CDR-HD1300 CD/CDR/HDD recorder in average condition, but functional.
  • A brand new, unused Corsair Computer PSU still in it's box
  • A original U-Turn Orbit turntable with belt and AT cartridge (unused by the looks of it). Lid needs a polish as it's a bit scuffed.
View attachment 29647
View attachment 29648
View attachment 29649
View attachment 29650
  • Two nice small cut-glass bowls (for our two cats)
  • An extremely cool retro 6 digit early 70s Japanese handheld calculator (I collect them)
View attachment 29651
  • And a monster HP signal generator (1-1200MHz). 8660D with 86634A, 86602B and internal 11661B options. It weighs over 30Kg.
View attachment 29652
View attachment 29653
View attachment 29654
View attachment 29655

• A couple of plugpacks and a CD

The list price of the signal generator with the options fitted was just under US$30,000 back in the day. It's missing its top and bottom panel but other than that, it works. You want to see build quality? Look no further.

I found a price list for the C version, this is the D version with a more 'modern' keypad and entry system. Just that perforated can in the middle (the 11661B was US$5100 on its own!) price list attached as a pdf. (scroll to last page to see the prices)

What a waste to throw away, but they are worthless now I guess. Anyway, I'm going to use the old girl for a bit, just for fun.

I have a mate who always finds a convenient car parking space. The Aussie term is 'tinny'.

Not to be mistaken for a can of beer or aluminium dinghy type of boat, also so termed down under.

Of course I am too polite to say arsey.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've sworn off such things for a decade now. I would have been able to resist everything you picked up except............that HP unit. It would have come home with me for sure. Have you tried it yet, and does it work? When HP was a real company.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Have you tried it yet, and does it work? When HP was a real company.

Yes, it fires up. I'm going to dismantle and clean the beast, make sure there are no creatures or insects inside, and then see if I can drive it.

It's truly an amazing piece of gear construction wise. We tend to forget how incredibly well made HP gear was.

Was the Mrs as delighted with your finds ?

She was understanding. I'm not dragging the HP inside until I have a spot to hide place it. It's on the back deck plugged-in at the moment.

The U-Turn orbit is being given away to a mate who only asked me about an entry level TT the other day- good timing for him. There could likely be beer in it for me...

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here's a little video of the 8860 starting up. I have a few (hopefully) minor PSU issues and a small logic issue to deal with, but it appears to work (mostly)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

You should have headed straight to the nearest seller and bought a lotto ticket. !!!

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You should have headed straight to the nearest seller and bought a lotto ticket.

I did actually. Three winners last week, $33.6M each. Sadly, I wasn't one of them... :(

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I did actually. Three winners last week, $33.6M each. Sadly, I wasn't one of them... :(
In the 3 decades they've been doing lottos I've only won once. $50 :(

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yes, it fires up. I'm going to dismantle and clean the beast, make sure there are no creatures or insects inside, and then see if I can drive it.

It's truly an amazing piece of gear construction wise. We tend to forget how incredibly well made HP gear was.

She was understanding. I'm not dragging the HP inside until I have a spot to hide place it. It's on the back deck plugged-in at the moment.

The U-Turn orbit is being given away to a mate who only asked me about an entry level TT the other day- good timing for him. There could likely be beer in it for me...
Oh darn! I was looking for a good turntable! I think my old Pioneer is on its last legs and I found U-Turn. Seemed interesting.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard a splendid quote "a lottery is a tax on people who don't understand mathematics"
The odds of winning the National Lottery are given as 45,000,000 to 1, whilst the Euromillions is approx 140,000,000 :1 It therefore seems to me that the odds of winning, in practice, are only a little worse if I don't buy a ticket at all, which is what I do every week.

S

mansr

Major Contributor
The odds of winning the National Lottery are given as 45,000,000 to 1, whilst the Euromillions is approx 140,000,000 :1 It therefore seems to me that the odds of winning, in practice, are only a little worse if I don't buy a ticket at all, which is what I do every week.
The odds of buying a winning ticket are probably about as good as those of finding one on the street.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I heard a splendid quote "a lottery is a tax on people who don't understand mathematics"

The odds of winning the National Lottery are given as 45,000,000 to 1, whilst the Euromillions is approx 140,000,000 :1
All very true but the fact is that SOMEONE wins every week or whatever. I get suckered in about twice a year when the pot gets so high I can't resist.
The problem with all gambling, but specially the goverment sponsered numbers games, is the people that particiapte the most are the ones who can afford it the least.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I get suckered in about twice a year when the pot gets so high I can't resist.

Me too. We just had one of those runs where nobody won for about two months and it got to AUD$110M.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Never done the loto, just worry about the money you earned is my Moto.
Yea but word on the street (Amir) is that your one of those trust fund kids getting a huge check monthly. o_O:p

Zog

I have a mate who always finds a convenient car parking space. The Aussie term is 'tinny'.

Not to be mistaken for a can of beer or aluminium dinghy type of boat, also so termed down under.

Of course I am too polite to say arsey.
Tinny and Arsey were also well known and loved expressions in South Africa. Here in NZ Tinny also means a cannabis cigarette. $20.00 buys you a small quantity of weed wrapped in tinfoil. A Tinny-house, is a (usually suburban) house were Tinnys (if that be the plural) are sold.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
$20.00 buys you a small quantity of weed wrapped in tinfoil.
Sounds great, pick me up a $100 worth. ;)
A Tinny-house, is a (usually suburban) house were Tinnys (if that be the plural) are sold.
I thought tinning was something we did to our soldering iron. :p

Top Bottom