• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So I bought an old Apogee AD/DA...

dfuller

Major Contributor
Specifically, a Rosetta 200. For 2004, the specs are insanely good (103db SINAD D/A, 105dB A/D). But, I've not been able to find anything on jitter (not that the internal clock matters too much as it'll be clocked to the AES from my ADI-2 Pro FS), filter behavior, IMD, or otherwise. Looks like an AD1852 DAC and a CS5361 ADC.

Anyway, anybody know anything about these more objectively speaking?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I seem to recall Apogee claiming unusually good clocks and low jitter. Don't know of tests. Easy enough to run your own tests.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
I seem to recall Apogee claiming unusually good clocks and low jitter. Don't know of tests. Easy enough to run your own tests.
yup, I plan on doing so using REW and my adi-2.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Filter action should be straight out of the chips' datasheets when not using resampling (what's it using for an ASRC?). Funny thing is, the CS5361 isn't even a TOTL part, although it may be easier to get best performance out of than the CS5381.

These have a reputation for having a "sound", let's see how much of that is true. There are some neat features for sure, like automatic 0 dBFS level calibration that seems to set input and output gain, or an optional soft-limiter for the ADC.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Filter action should be straight out of the chips' datasheets when not using resampling (what's it using for an ASRC?). Funny thing is, the CS5361 isn't even a TOTL part, although it may be easier to get best performance out of than the CS5381.

These have a reputation for having a "sound", let's see how much of that is true. There are some neat features for sure, like automatic 0 dBFS level calibration that seems to set input and output gain, or an optional soft-limiter for the ADC.
Dunno, but I'm not planning on doing any SRC with it - I bought it strictly as an AD/DA for my analog processing loop, so sample rate in/out should be the same. As far as "having a sound", I'm planning on doing the usual THD+N, IMD+N, jitter tests.

Top Bottom