• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So has anyone measured how the IFI Audio AC Purifier is supposed to work?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nice find. Still reading but this part is not good for ifi:

1576876234136.png

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can actually watch his Youtube Video where you see the ifi purifier is really really bad!

Came across it after watching his topping P50 linear power supply testing. (which is measuring really good Btw)

OP
Y

Yviena

Hmm seems it only works grounded, and the effects where minimal at best when RF was induced via phone call.

ninetylol

Hmm seems it only works grounded, and the effects where minimal at best when RF was induced via phone call.

Watch this Video to see how Bad it is. It makes everything worse.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Watch this Video to see how Bad it is. It makes everything worse.
The meter he is using is usually used to sell useless AC filters (converts inaudible high frequency content to audible). Funny how it is being used now to show this thing actually makes things worse!

ninetylol

The meter he is using is usually used to sell useless AC filters (converts inaudible high frequency content to audible). Funny how it is being used now to show this thing actually makes things worse!
Theres another Video where He is measuring on his Laptop, I dont think this is fake and this guy isnt really a big influencer from what I see, so no reason to make wrong claims.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Theres another Video where He is measuring on his Laptop, I dont think this is fake and this guy isnt really a big influencer from what I see, so no reason to make wrong claims.
Read my post again. You completely misunderstood what I wrote.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find snake oil from companies like ifi especially disappointing as when they want to they can design pretty good gear.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A DC purifier is easy to design and can actually do something as one can also filter all audio frequencies.
I reckon it is similar to the 'ripple eater'.
It won't do anything about common mode crap leaking through SMPS which may be a bigger issue than a small ripple.

In most cases I would expect DC fed devices to do some voltage rails cleaning/smoothing/regulation anyway.

Veri

Master Contributor
It won't do anything about common mode crap leaking through SMPS which may be a bigger issue than a small ripple.
In most cases I would expect DC fed devices to do some voltage rails cleaning/smoothing/regulation anyway.

I see, makes sense. Probably not worth much then :) as long as it doesn't inject noise like this AC purifier that's something though, lol

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see these things from the opposite direction.
Mains powered equipment is designed to be -you got it- mains powered. Mains power is not a perfect sine wave. The designers know this, so it follows that any bit of mains powered equipment which performs badly in the presence of normal mains shortcomings is badly designed.
Any piece of hifi that needs a mains purifier to work properly is an incompetent design and best replaced by something properly engineered.
Voila! requirement for mains purifier = 0

Now, I don't know about measurements, but if you skip to around 4:30, here's proof positive that this thing does have a purpose for some situations (this guy has some sort of weird ethernet over AC setup that generates noise). Maybe there are other solutions here, but this seems like a pretty stark demonstration.

Cougar

As can be seen it does nothing in the audible range (below 10kHz) acc. to their own plot:
Active-v-Passive-Filtration-1.jpg

No attenuation below 10kHz.

The active noise cancellation is a very old trick that was already used by JLH called the ripple eater.
This was for DC and did work in the audible band.

You can't do this for AC as that already consists of AC with lots of harmonics.
Funnily enough in their manual it shows a picture that shows 40dB noise reduction even at 1Hz.
This is a pretty nifty feat to suppress the 50/60Hz mains with 40dB.

One would normally call that a 100:1 transformer.
I just ran into this thread and was looking over those plots. Funny thing, I just bought a Belkin 10 outlet with metal casing surge protector and was reading the box. On the back it says it has a EMI/RFI noise filtration from 150kHz-1MHz and up to -40db reduction.

Now, I only bought this for use as an extension for my computer, printer, RMC, and Headphone amp. I didn't buy for audio use and didn't even know about the EMI/RFI filtration. Is there something more going on with filtration in these ranges?

Maybe one of the Engineers can chime in and explain why?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Now, I only bought this for use as an extension for my computer, printer, RMC, and Headphone amp.

It will be fine for that. Aside from the surge protector there is a simple basic common mode filter inside.
Perfectly fine to use it for the intended goal.
The listed attenuatio and frequency range where the maximum attenuation will be reached in sounds realistic.

Well designed equipment and computer/printer etc. will also have at least basic but probably even more filtering inside anyway in order to pass EMC testing/regulations.
In general no one will ever notice the difference between filtered and non-filtered mains unless one has some serious (ground loop) issues going on.
And even there mains filtering might very well not be effective anyway.

Cougar

It will be fine for that. Aside from the surge protector there is a simple basic common mode filter inside.
Perfectly fine to use it for the intended goal.
The listed attenuatio and frequency range where the maximum attenuation will be reached in sounds realistic.

Well designed equipment and computer/printer etc. will also have at least basic but probably even more filtering inside anyway in order to pass EMC testing/regulations.
In general no one will ever notice the difference between filtered and non-filtered mains unless one has some serious (ground loop) issues going on.
And even there mains filtering might very well not be effective anyway.
Thank You for the reply and info, I really appreciate it learning something new every day. :)

Katji

Major Contributor
I saw that Apple stores are now selling the Belkin version of the new iPhone charger, so that seems to indicate that Belkin make decent/proper products.

deama

@solderdude
Hey so I've been playing around with the EMI stuff for a while now, I've been trying to get it as close to 0 as possible, but haven't been able to.

So far, here is what I tried:

I've bought one of those tacima mains conditioners, like these ones:

And I've also bought the plug in mains conditioners, similiar to the ifi ones on this thread.

My experience with them has been ok, they do actually lower the EMI using my EMI measuring tool (similar to the japanese guy was using).

I've also tried getting the ifi mains conditioner one too, the really expensive one:
But it didn't actually do anything, it didn't lower the mVA at all, was very disappointing.

I've also gotten one of those online UPS devices:

The UPS one did a decent job, it lowered it from 300+mVA down to 100mVA, however it's still at 100mVA, I'm guessing the lead acid battery is maybe creating some interference or something?

I also tried an inverter:

Interestingly, that gave a similar output to the UPS, around 100mVA.

My question is, is there any device I can get that could lower it down to below 10mVA? Would a UPS with a lithium ion battery work much better?

Top Bottom