• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So few options for amps with preout switches?

Sengin

I'm looking to run both headphones and some speakers through the same amp, so I've been researching options (the speakers haven't been decided upon, so it's pretty open-ended). There's quite a few that have both outputs, but only very few that have switches to control which output to use. Is there a particular reason for this, or am I just missing a bunch of options?

For some examples of the no-switch options, there's the Topping A30 Pro and the Geshelli E2 (and quite a bit more). But for switch options, I've only found the Topping A90 ($500, rated well here) and the SMSL HO200 ($400, rated well here BUT some weird 12Hz protection trip behavior). If I want to combine the DAC and amp into the same package, there are two more options: the Singxer SDA2 Advanced ($680, no objective measurements that I've found and it's out of stock everywhere) and the FiiO K9 Pro ($700, I believe Wolf measured a pre-production unit pretty well (IIRC?) but there's some QA issues and bugs).

I've looked at so many options for speakers and amps the last few days I've probably forgotten about ones I've already filtered out that weren't rated as well (Klipsh Heritage comes to mind). Is that it for the good ones? Am I missing some or are there potentially some new stuff coming out in the near-ish future?

I assume that some of the ones without switches might auto-mute the speaker output when the headphone output is connected, but this is harder to verify (and not as convenient). The current plan is to get a pair of monitors with auto shutoff and a very low power draw during idle (Fluid FX80s or Kali LP-6 V2 if I can confirm the auto shutoff feature) and leave them on at all times - I need to switch between speakers and headphones often so needing to walk around a desk and turn off two monitors every time is something I'd like to avoid. Plus, the LP-6 V2s just look to be the best bang for the buck for less than like $1k a pair.

The other option (since I'd be looking to spend a minimum of $400 on just the amp with the options I know of so far) would be to get a smaller set of speakers to have on my desk (instead of behind it) so I could reach the on/off switch without needing to get up (I guess something like the Edifier S2000 MKIII or the Swan D300, though they aren't that much smaller and objective measurements are hard to find).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

OP
S

Sengin

Oh! There's no physical switch but instead the remote controls the output, hence I missed this one. Thanks! One more to add, and it's quite a bit cheaper and includes a DAC.

3125b

Major Contributor
As far as dedicated amps go the humble Topping L30 has a switch.
... You are looking for balanced only, sorry.

The EX5 is probably the best deal then. Or an interface like Audient iD14 MKII maybe.

OP
S

Sengin

Or an interface like Audient iD14 MKII maybe.
Oh man, I haven't even begun to look at interfaces. Was trying to steer clear of that rabbit hole but perhaps the time has arrived...

radix

Major Contributor
I have the DX3Pro+, which uses the same double-press as the EX5 to switch between HP and PRE modes. I find the double-press hard to do consistently. Maybe I just need more training. I'm not sure if the EX5 has a better double-press. It almost makes me want to go D90se/A90 so I have a real switch on the A90.

The DX3Pro and EX5 also have dedicated buttons on the remote, so if you don't mind keeping that around, it's pretty easy to switch.

I likely should have gone EX5 instead of DX3Pro for the balanced analog out, but I am not feeling compelled to upgrade.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Most AVR's have decent Headphone amps built in, and will automatically switch to headphone (and switch off speakers) when headphones are plugged in.

5 year old TOTL AVR's often go for a fraction of their original price, due to ongoing changes in surround standards, HDMI standards etc...

But their amps are still excellent, the flagship models typically have good DAC's, and as a bonus you may get a good Room/Speaker EQ system as well...

(Just a thought)

Top Bottom