• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So closed box speakers are pretty much a dead?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I want to give closed box speakers a go, but I only see a handful that are still available. Its mainly ATC and several brands making LS3/5a inspired speakers. Which are of course complete polar opposites. Apart from that I can only find NHT (North America only it seems). Is there anything I'm missing?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ProAc Tablette is sealed.

I'd like to see a list of what's out there as well.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kii, Dutch& Dutch, Grimm LS1, Hedd ‘Main towers’ As you said some ATCs...
Keith

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M&K I believe.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sealed box speakers as DIY are a good combination. The sizing to go with the drivers is much simpler, and using good construction technique which might be too pricey in a commercial product is very doable DIY. If you ever had a hankering for building your owns speakers sealed is a good choice.

dc655321

Major Contributor
The 8C’s are not sealed, they have side vents, with clever engineering to make the rear-firing bass cardioid.

Just an FYI: only the 8C's midrange (100-1250Hz) is cardioid. The twin subs on the rear are sealed and not cardioid.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
ProAc Tablette is sealed.

I'd like to see a list of what's out there as well.
I've put that under LS3/5a inspired speakers :).

Sealed box speakers as DIY are a good combination. The sizing to go with the drivers is much simpler, and using good construction technique which might be too pricey in a commercial product is very doable DIY. If you ever had a hankering for building your owns speakers sealed is a good choice.

I don't really have to tools to do so, and a small search didn't wield many pre-designed options.

PowerSoundAudio has bookshelves/towers/center.
2x10" woofers and still having a frequency response of 70Hz - 18kHz ...not very exciting. ATC SCM11's already do that with a tiny woofer (after you feed it some watts :D ).

Also looking for speakers that are actually affordable, the SCM19's are probably the most I'd be willing to spend.

splattened

Forum Donor
Klipsch Heresy III is sealed. Regularly available B-stock on eBay from reputable sellers for $1800/pair.

Ironically the Heresy IV is expected to be released around the end of this month and will be a ported design. So that's one more option going away soon.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I've got a 'hot shot' set of Mission speakers, and they're ported, so I think the closed box things must sound congested in comparison.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Because the sensitivty is 98dB. They are also made with the intention of using a subwoofer (their subs get very loud too).

Deep Bass • High Sensitivty • High Impedance
Pick 2
High sensitivity is not a must, watts are cheap. :D

creativepart

Don't write off the LS3/5a-type speakers so quickly. I love my Harbeth P3SER speakers. Really a great option.

I have paired them with a Sub (GoldenEar ForceField 3) and find the combo to be ideal.

Before these I had always used ported speakers.

Top Bottom