• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snubber Circuits on the power switch? Pros and Cons

mteetank

Hi all, I have a Denon DRA-300 and I believe it has a RC Snubber Circuit on the Power Switch. I am considering making one using the values ( .033uF + 120ohm ) printed on the side (see photo) to install on my recent refurbished Advent 350 to add some protection to the power switch. I have been doing research and get off into the weeds pretty fast trying to calculate the optimum RC snubber circuit. Need some practical advice, would the snubber circuit used on the Denon provide protection to my Advent power switch and for that matter work for most audio receiver. What are the down sides / risks. Thank you for any advice or insight you can provide me.

Attachments

• Denon_Snubber_6391.jpg
    Denon_Snubber_6391.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 96

raindance

Major Contributor
Don't get in the weeds. Just try it. Make sure the cap is sufficiently overrated.

It will have no impact on sound, it will just suppress the EMI (interference) from operating the switch and potentially lengthen the switch life by preventing arcs.

OP
M

mteetank

So now for the design. I am going to use a .033uF Film Capacitor 250volts. From everything I have researched I still have no clue as to how to calculate resistor wattage. So if anyone can explain to me the recommended wattage for the 120 ohm resistor and the reasoning behind it I would be most appreciative. Thanks much!

SSS

So now for the design. I am going to use a .033uF Film Capacitor 250volts. From everything I have researched I still have no clue as to how to calculate resistor wattage. So if anyone can explain to me the recommended wattage for the 120 ohm resistor and the reasoning behind it I would be most appreciative. Thanks much!
Resistor should be on the safe side with 2 Watt rating. Reason is that there is a very short time to prevent arcing thus the wattage is low. When the power switch is open then the current is small. Resistor can be carbon film or better metal film for long life. Some designs put only the capacitor without a resistor across the power switch. So at the Yamaha M-80 with .01uF which I repair right now.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree about a higher wattage resistor, especially to avoid exceeding the voltage rating.

OP
M

mteetank

I do like the idea of buying one already made. I also enjoy learning about what makes up the values.

So now for installation. The Denon has it in series with the switch. In my internet travels, I have seen that some applications are across the switch (parallel) and in the Denon's case in line (series) to the switch. The one I will be install will be in my Advent 350 which has a very beefy transformer and over spec'd power capacitors.

So what are the pro's and cons of in series or in parallel on a audio receiver and if you were doing it, what would you choose? Thanks for taking the time!!!

Attachments

• Advent_350_Power_Supply.jpg
    Advent_350_Power_Supply.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 44

raindance

Major Contributor
You do not want the resistor in series with the switch. It will drop voltage and get hot and burn up. Just use the cap on it's own.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do not want the resistor in series with the switch. It will drop voltage and get hot and burn up. Just use the cap on it's own.
Exactly. The snubber goes as a series RC, but across the switch contacts. It most likely is to absorb transformer inductive kickback when the switch is opening.

OP
M

mteetank

That Sounds like a plan! As per the diagram attached I am to use the "A" connection. Any thoughts on why Denon choose to hook it up as in "B".
Thanks much!
Denon_Snubber_Diagram - 6391.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That Sounds like a plan! As per the diagram attached I am to use the "A" connection. Any thoughts on why Denon choose to hook it up as in "B".
Thanks much!
View attachment 287168
Yes, to save the switch contacts. That's how I envisioned it being used (?)

raindance

Major Contributor
B does not show a series connection with the switch. It is the scheme I would choose to protect the switch.

A shows a mains filter, completely different beast.

ElJaimito

Use schema B ONLY as stated above. Use Class X capacitor as previously mentioned (or Class Y). Use at least a 0.5W non-carbon resistor, this is as much for the greater breakdown voltage due to the larger size as it is to do with power rating. 1W or 2 W are fine as well, but not 1/4W. Snubber goes across where the current break is to happen, it's to curb most arcing. I always buy snubbers so as to preserve my house insurance against claims...

OP
M

mteetank

To use the "B" circuit do you put the snubber on the neutral side or the hot side of the switch?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To use the "B" circuit do you put the snubber on the neutral side or the hot side of the switch?
Shouldn't matter. I'd put it on the neutral, just in case it does short (unlikely).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Use schema B ONLY as stated above. Use Class X capacitor as previously mentioned (or Class Y). Use at least a 0.5W non-carbon resistor, this is as much for the greater breakdown voltage due to the larger size as it is to do with power rating. 1W or 2 W are fine as well, but not 1/4W. Snubber goes across where the current break is to happen, it's to curb most arcing. I always buy snubbers so as to preserve my house insurance against claims...
Good advice here. Or buy the packaged snubbers above.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a very unusual place to start learning electronics. Don't electrocute yourself or burn the house down.

/There, fair warning given

OP
M

mteetank

Electrocution is not in the plan! :>) I always unplug, check with a meter and then proceed. I really appreciate all the contributors to my post. I learned a lot and now am comfortable with how to proceed.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Electrocution is not in the plan! :>) I always unplug, check with a meter and then proceed. I really appreciate all the contributors to my post. I learned a lot and now am comfortable with how to proceed.
Great! Just keep your face well away the first time you power it ;)

Top Bottom