• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snowy Range Scenic Byway -- highly recommended

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend this drive, which heads west from Laramie, Wyoming. These pics are from the Libby Flats Observation area when I was there last June. There was still lots of pristine white snow on the ground.

DSC_0337_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0338_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0340_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0341_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0342_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0343_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0344_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0334_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0333_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend this drive, which heads west from Laramie, Wyoming. These pics are from the Libby Flats Observation area when I was there last June. There was still lots of pristine white snow on the ground.

DSC_0337_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0338_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0340_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0341_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0342_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0343_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0344_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0334_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0333_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
That looks like superb snowmobiling country. :D

111db

Lovely tonality and crisp contrast in those pics. Care to share the tech data? And are these "corrected" in Lightroom, e.g.? No shame if so, I do it as a matter of course (DxO Optics Pro), treating the RAW exposure like a negative, which it really is.

Since I live just down US287 in Fort Collins, CO, I'll have to zoom up there sometime and check out the area more closely. Did you get to check out the Sherman Mountains (Vedauwoo) just east of Laramie? A favorite playground for me.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Lovely tonality and crisp contrast in those pics. Care to share the tech data? And are these "corrected" in Lightroom, e.g.? No shame if so, I do it as a matter of course (DxO Optics Pro), treating the RAW exposure like a negative, which it really is.

Since I live just down US287 in Fort Collins, CO, I'll have to zoom up there sometime and check out the area more closely. Did you get to check out the Sherman Mountains (Vedauwoo) just east of Laramie? A favorite playground for me.
Thanks. No, I didn't know about those mountains, but will look them up!

I don't use anything fancy, and I don't know much about the technical stuff. I just used Nikon Capture NX-D. I'll attach a pic from my desktop, don't know if you'll be able to see the technical data you're looking for or not.

Attachments

• DSC_0333_00001.jpg
    DSC_0333_00001.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 84

111db

EXIF data has been stripped... no matter. Thanks for trying. A little Sherman Mountains "intimate landscape" action, from the Blair Recreation Area just a few miles off I80:

Elven Glade Grotto Summer image.jpg

Blair Boulder WA image.jpg

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
EXIF data has been stripped... no matter. Thanks for trying. A little Sherman Mountains "intimate landscape" action, from the Blair Recreation Area just a few miles off I80:

View attachment 114283

View attachment 114284
Nice! It looks like I drove right by there on my way to YNP and GTNP. I'll have to check that out if I get back up there.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I could live with a little less snow in the byway to my house at the moment...

Front yard
IMG_6029_small.jpg

Pikes Peak from our back deck
IMG_6037_small.JPG

Deer decided to detour under the deck and get out of the snow for a bit (there's a much bigger buck around)
IMG_6033_small.jpg

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I could live with a little less snow in the byway to my house at the moment...

Front yard
View attachment 114286

Pikes Peak from our back deck
View attachment 114287

Deer decided to detour under the deck and get out of the snow for a bit (there's a much bigger buck around)
View attachment 114288
I could do with a bit less snow as well! We got about 8 inches here in East TX about a week ago. There was so much snow and ice that it shut down everything for about a week. With very little equipment with which to plow snow, the roads were completely covered and stayed that way for days. Every water department around here suffered frozen equipment and broken pipes, resulting in either low water pressure or no water at all. The power was out for days in many locations, although we never lost power at our house. But we've been under a boil water statement for about a week now.

This is what it looked like outside my house. It's now mostly gone, but there were still a couple patches in my yard this morning.

20210215_083747_resized.jpg
20210215_081151_resized.jpg

111db

Hey, a fellow deer-oppressed Coloradan! (A herd of ten frequents my yard---when I let them.) I've been hoping to scour up some relative locals for a potential meet-up when the all-clear is sounded (or we stop caring). Is there any local audio group down your way? And do you happen to be a member of the Colorado Art Rock Society? (it's not about petroglyphs ;)) -Another Don aka 111db

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hey, a fellow deer-oppressed Coloradan! (A herd of ten frequents my yard---when I let them.) I've been hoping to scour up some relative locals for a potential meet-up when the all-clear is sounded (or we stop caring). Is there any local audio group down your way? And do you happen to be a member of the Colorado Art Rock Society? (it's not about petroglyphs ;)) -Another Don aka 111db

I had friends in Ft Collins but some moved down here and I have not actually been there in years. Partly because I25 is such a disaster north of Denver...

Deer are a PITA and we have too many clueless people feeding them. A mountain lion took one out in our yard, another feature of deer overpopulation.

Not aware of any local audio groups but honestly have not looked -- between crazy work hours, COVID, and normal life stuff just have not gotten into audio like I used to be when I was younger (with more energy and time for it). We stopped caring a long time ago, at least for the level of "protection" required, but my wife works at a hospital and I am in a telecom business so still working like a dog, have a to wait a bit before doing too much outside stuff. Plus my brother's MIL passed away a couple of weeks ago from COVID; she was healthy and strong then picked it up around Christmas (they still don't know where) and put off going to the hospital until too late (or not, we'll never know). We have family plans this summer so thinking about the vaccine, but are a little hesitant due to all the side effects and long-term unknowns. I suspect, since it is viral, it will end up being another yearly shot we have to get.

Had to look up CARS, had not heard of them before. Interesting, though I rarely go to Denver (even though my kids live up around there; we make them come to us as much as possible ;) ). I've made numerous plans to attend RMAF over the past ten years but it always fell through for one reason or another. If and when it's be nice to have a ASR dinner up there (down there for you).

Nice real name; 111 dB is too loud for me! :)

111db

Nice real name; 111 dB is too loud for me!
LOL! At my degree of hearing loss (age and youthful/occupational abuse), its my threshold of hearing! :eek: That's an exaggeration, but... :rolleyes:
Actually, my theory is that every recording is best listened to at approximately the level at which it was mastered, and that sweet spot is pretty apparent to me, and sometimes pretty loud as in big band jazz, Stravinsky, and Led Zep. My big JBL-esque DIY system in my man-loft is fully capable of that! And so far, the closest neighbor is tolerant and even pops up unbidden (but by no means unwelcome) on occasion to listen.:)

I don't get around that much either; I work from home, and when I get in the car it's usually to go hiking/fishing or to drag home another Craigslist uber-bargain (lots of those down your way). I used to travel to China at least once a year on biz, but awareness of their government's human rights abuses is sinking in deep, so not sure that's in the cards any more.:oops::facepalm: But I still love my Huawei phone.:D

Nor have I ever done RMAF, though considered it a few times. It would be a good opportunity to calibrate my expectations for and evaluations of my speaker designs, though I'm pretty darn thrilled by what I'm achieving at present. A meet-up when it is resurrected would be dandy! Or if you do get up to Fort Fun, please drop in for a listen! That goes for anyone within eyeshot of this conversation, too. Any more Coloradans lurking out there?

CARS is a fun group, mostly musicians. I lurked the forum for many years and finally came out when they started having Zoom meetings rather than in-person. There's one this Saturday evening if you're interested and your prog literacy is reasonably up to snuff. You would have to request a (free) membership.

Cheers!
-Don in FC

Top Bottom