• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snell type E - DIY parts or sell

BillH

Forum Donor
All,
I recently bought new speakers - my first in 20+ years (Ascend Sierra 2-EX) and now I'm contemplating selling my Snell Type E speakers. My questions is, should i save the Snell's for parts if I want to get into DIY speakers? The cabinets are big and heavy, the drivers.... Or should I get rid of them?
thanks
bill

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All,
I recently bought new speakers - my first in 20+ years (Ascend Sierra 2-EX) and now I'm contemplating selling my Snell Type E speakers. My questions is, should i save the Snell's for parts if I want to get into DIY speakers? The cabinets are big and heavy, the drivers.... Or should I get rid of them?
thanks
bill
They would be a excellent setup for making a budget bi-amp'd system. Bypass those crossovers. If you're on a budget use a budget car audio active crossover and you'll find that is a big sound quality upgrade for them. Some car audio active crossovers will include a parametric EQ. Some of the budget car audio active crossovers are surprisingly good and you'll find them much quieter than when they are installed in a noisy car electrical environment. Use a 12 V DC power supply for the crossover and if you are picky change the filter cap to something slightly bigger for lower ripple.

OP
BillH

BillH

Forum Donor
They would be a excellent setup for making a budget bi-amp'd system. Bypass those crossovers. If you're on a budget use a budget car audio active crossover and you'll find that is a big sound quality upgrade for them. Some car audio active crossovers will include a parametric EQ. Some of the budget car audio active crossovers are surprisingly good and you'll find them much quieter than when they are installed in a noisy car electrical environment. Use a 12 V DC power supply for the crossover and if you are picky change the filter cap to something slightly bigger for lower ripple.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've posted them to craigslist and I'm having regrets. Multiple people have already asked me if the drivers are original...
I might have to remove that post....

Top Bottom