• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snakeoil on YouTube

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes shame on them and shame on those that can‘t or won’t learn the tiniest bit of technical knowledge are ripe for the charlatans.
Keith

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The pursuit perfect system guy is a professional Dirac setup guy (I’m sure there’s a title, but I don’t know what it is). Sort of an odd combination of subjective/objective leanings. Does he also sell equipment? If so, then it’s really more of an advertising channel.

edit: nope, not an equipment dealer, just an independent YouTuber and reviewer.

ChrisUK

The pursuit perfect system guy is a professional Dirac setup guy (I’m sure there’s a title, but I don’t know what it is). Sort of an odd combination of subjective/objective leanings. Does he also sell equipment? If so, then it’s really more of an advertising channel.

Poor old Terry, there are worst people out there on YT.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
YouTube channels are the new TV. The content creators get paid to entertain. The more drama the more viewers. The more viewers the more revenue. These people work in the entertainment industry and are not doing academic work. Sometimes they’re informative, interesting, useful. Many of them are truly sincere in what they’re doing, but many of them are trying to make a living and will do or say whatever they think will get people’s attention.

ChrisUK

UGH, can't stand him, I'm no puritan, but all he does is stammer on like a scatterbrain and drop F-bombs all the time.
It amazes me that companies would send him free stuff for those "reviews".

They send him stuff because he never does bad reviews, and has 200k of half-witted subscribers.

mnemonix

Talking of shills, I give you Zeos of Z Reviews!
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews

I'm not so sure about shill, he clearly has a plan to monetize his channel and make a living with what he does (doesn't everyone though?), but he clearly loves it too. Additionally, across various videos he has broadly debunked the cable myth and other audiophile snake oil, recommended neutral, well performing equipment such as that produced by Topping, SMSL, THX etc on the basis of their (measured by others) strengths, and has maintained the HD600 as his reference headphone for years.

Sure his technical knowledge can be lacking, which he sometimes admits and sometimes substitutes erroneous bluster in its place; he claims not to watch other reviewers, but I'm pretty sure he's better informed than he makes out and there's evidence he absorbs a lot of the kind of material this site produces, for example the inaudible differences between a good $100 DAC and anything more expensive, and he seems to be learning, or trying to, as his audiophile journey progresses. His amateurish attempts at blind testing are almost endearing but he obviously sees merit in a lot of the right ways of doing things!

He also appears to understand subjectivity, it's merits, pitfalls and need for qualification. If he enjoys something objectively "bad" he says so, he knows the difference between "fun" and "accurate", and most of his flowery prose is actually more down to earth, comprehensible and likely to be based on some kind of measurable property than the likes of Guttenberg and Darko, even if he's incapable of testing or articulating exactly what. Oh and his insights into usability and ergonomics are clearly borne of actual experience and frustration.

And finally, while I'm sure he's not everyone's cup of tea, he is also an entertainer, a comic, a clown which in these dark times we need more off. I really didn't expect to join this forum and construct a defence of Zeos but there you go; I happened to come across both ASR and Zeos recently at around the same time and appreciate both, the more so for trying to understand what they're both about.

Last edited:

mnemonix

They send him stuff because he never does bad reviews, and has 200k of half-witted subscribers.

Are you kidding? Have you seen his reviews of the ATH-M50? - "I don't undertsand why these are popular", "they're not for pleasure", "CAN YOU HEAR THE HAMMERS?". Arguably the more half witted of his subscribers were all using them.

Top Bottom