• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

DanielT

Major Contributor
I see this trickster who likes hifi. His wife plants flowers. The brain is switched on: Now she is working on her boxes of soil and planting ..... box ..... soil ..... hifi ....

See picture, yes it is exactly what it looks , that is a wooden box with soil in it. In with some cables and sold for $ 3500. Soil grunding box (also note that it is a stand-alone box, has nothing to do with the earth, even more stupid)

Edit.
How do you know it's hifi stupid? It is expensive. Something that on the other hand can work, see picture number two on something that costs around $ 10 (cheap, therefore not hifi stupid). Advertised on a site that sells electric fencing. It is pulled down into the ground. No freestanding box of soil there not.:)

Attachments

• shot_2021-09-27_07-13-29.png
    shot_2021-09-27_07-13-29.png
    730.8 KB · Views: 74
  • shot_2021-09-27_07-26-47.png
    shot_2021-09-27_07-26-47.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
This will improve all cables, not just speaker cables... I swears;

Snake_Oil_1024x1024@2x.png

Just 3 drops of this on each end of your speaker cables will give your cable MAGICAL properties that defy science and create perfect sound.

*Note: This is clearly a joke. Don't buy this unless you want to get sent a small vial of water. If you really do want a vial of water, then by all means, go ahead! Your contribution will only assist in keeping NB Speaker Cables alive and well <3*

JSmith

Galliardist

Major Contributor

JSmith
If only we had ASR Products of the year. This is the ONE!

wwenze

Major Contributor
With all the claims of digital error avoidance using "tricks", people know nothing of how error correction works or that it even exists. Digital signals carry extra bits to allow the system to check for and correct errors - it's pretty ingenious and it works. Discs also duplicate information around the disc to account for localized errors (i.e. scratches).

It's so effective, that the result is that either it's perfect or it fails hard (disc unreadable) - there is not much in between, if any.

No need for all the "tricks" to increase accuracy. If your disc reads, you can be confident in the reproduction.
But... but... Jitter...

35752de836f4f2bb28ac009b7ffa214d2ef83be0.png

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Waltham mechanical pocket watch in good condition from about the time of the American Civil War and later (1860s) can usually do better than a few seconds a day...today. A few minutes every 6 months. Temperature and orientation compensated from that time on as well.

Key winding and key time changing, of course. Crown access for time changing was considered unreliable and prone to user error - forbidden in railroad, seafaring and military applications

Keeping time has been a solved problem for a very long time. My collection is below - each shelf has the most common watch models from 1860 on in 20 year increments - top to bottom, with the last shelf showing progression of women's watches. Unlike most collectors, I collect for commonality, not rarety. $100-200 at most paid today - often less.

The rightmost watch on the top shelf is from the same model/time as gifted to President Lincoln by the company during the Civil War after the Emancipation Proclamation. Since the serial number isn't particularly close, it sells for $125, but given the super tight run tolerances, it's the same watch.

One to its' left is repatriated from the UK, as European customers demanded pure silver cases, while Americans preferred the more practical "Silveroid" alloy. This case needs a cleaning!

Great majority of watches just run fine after 100+ years, a few needed a bit of oil.

The main reason stem time setting wasn’t allowed on railroad watches was to keep the worker from correcting the watch between time checks. The watches were checked every week, and the maximum allowable time variation was 15 seconds. Beyond that, and the watch had to be serviced (annual service was routine anyway).

Pocket watches, being larger, are more accurate, all else equal. In a watch pocket, positions were more controlled and there were fewer shocks compared to wristwatches.

Hamilton was making railroad-approved pocket watches using the 992B movement up to 1970, right before they were bought by SSIH (Omega/Tissot—the core of the much later Swatch Group). I have one from 1946. It is lever-set like the rest. But stem-wind.

IMG_2597.JPG

My oldest watch is an Elgin from 1898, fully jeweled and adjusted. It needed much more service than a bit of oil to run well (a new mainspring for starters—a standard replacement to maintain accuracy). It’s in a Crescent Swing-Ring case.

movement.jpg

Rick “it was William C. Ball who established the railroad time standard in the 1890’s” Denney

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great Western Railway got in before him, they standardised time back in 1840. At least for the UK, anyway.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My oldest watch is an Elgin from 1898, fully jeweled and adjusted. It needed much more service than a bit of oil to run well (a new mainspring for starters—a standard replacement to maintain accuracy). It’s in a Crescent Swing-Ring case.
Pretty! You should try some of that snake oil! Guaranteed that it will never run out of sync ever again ;)

Gregss

JSmith
Hi,

But I thought that was what Whisky was for???

audio2design

Major Contributor
I think we just need to accept that the vast majority of the so called "audiophile" industry is snake oil. It is akin to homeopathic remedies and about the same size. There is no science and the industry has not desire to police itself and it needs useful idiots to survive. What value is there to audiogon to be anything but a parade of lunacy? None. Their whole existence, financial and otherwise is premised on wilful ignorance and yes, intentional deception. Any number of companies and websites are no different. It is shameful, it is dishonest, it is what it is.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think we just need to accept that the vast majority of the so called "audiophile" industry is snake oil. It is akin to homeopathic remedies and about the same size. There is no science and the industry has not desire to police itself and it needs useful idiots to survive. What value is there to audiogon to be anything but a parade of lunacy? None. Their whole existence, financial and otherwise is premised on wilful ignorance and yes, intentional deception. Any number of companies and websites are no different. It is shameful, it is dishonest, it is what it is.
Nicely put.
Keith

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the player and how sensitive it is regarding reading records, I do not know. Now this is practically no problem. Extremely rarely do I come across records I can't play.

I buy the records at flea markets, for example. New records? No no . After all, I have Spotify.
In addition, I am looking for OLD uncompressed discs. That's the main reason I'm still using a CD player.:)

In any case, it increases the chances, I think. ... I hope :

Reason I'm always after good recorded recordings with just a well placed pair of mics, a few instruments to have a good soundstage and depth.
I just realized that I favour a good recording of music I learn to like than a bad recording of music you know and suppose you like.

PS- Most of my listening is still with my CD transport.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Reason I'm always after good recorded recordings with just a well placed pair of mics, a few instruments to have a good soundstage and depth.
I just realized that I favour a good recording of music I learn to like than a bad recording of music you know and suppose you like.

PS- Most of my listening is still with my CD transport.

There's a fellow on hifihaven (and also audiokarma) who records a small orchestra in (if memory serves) Temecula, CA. I mention this because 1) he takes it pretty seriously and 2) he makes at least some of his recordings available to interested parties from time to time. One might want to look into this :)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
1633172982173.png

What a fool I am, I've been storing my music files on ordinary SSDs. :facepalm:

They must be very special:
1633173218131.png

D

Deleted member 21219

Hmmmm.......
I'm just the opposite. I have really shit recordings of fantastic live performances (especially Government Mule and bluegrass) that I'd never give up. Jim

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmmm.......
I'm just the opposite. I have really shit recordings of fantastic live performances (especially Government Mule and bluegrass) that I'd never give up. Jim

Hmmm, considering your post; I reconfirm, I'm the opposite.

Nobody asks you to give anything up.
But bad sound >> no thank you.
I would turn off the sound and rather remember the great moment.
The brain can help you greatly here and adjust things for you.

I also remember attending a live concert of the Stones in Paris (open space), I can't remember if it was 1982 or their 1990 tour.
I came early and was just in the nearer front.
Great scene and moment but an awful sound.
I moved in the back using my binoculars.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I have equated the subjective audiophile world to that of Flat Earth adherents. They both "trust their eyes" and have no desire (or ability) to look any deeper. I am finding that these same listening with my eyes types are also if not anti-vax, certainly susceptible to anti-vax rhetoric. Read this thread. It is wonder of misinformation and linked questionable studies, including one written by someone not anywhere near medicine (from Harvard) co-written by a high school student (or that their only academic credential). I kid you not. 3 minutes of research pokes holes so large it is not funny, but watch as they latch onto it. You see the same thing in audio. The subjectivites reject all things science, unless it supports their existing conclusions in which case they latch onto it like a rabid Crocodile ....

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/crazy-crazy-crazy

Aptly name thread :)

Read it quick before the mods shut it down (their mods)

Enchy

Pretty standard fare as far as snake oil cable companies go. However I've never seen one that leans so heavily into the breakin idea. "Our power cables take around 200 hours to fully break in."

The best is that you can pay them extra to ship you used cables:

Top Bottom