• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

DanielT

Major Contributor
Seems like a lot to go against proven experience and even break the laws of physics in many cases. You can try to do that. However, this tends to happen :

Uploads a favorite picture. By a person who tests speaker cables (cheap ones) and finds that they are completely neutral, does not color the sound at all.

Perhaps it is best to point out that of course he is joking. Just so he does not fall into the same category as quirky people who believe in various snake oil. On the contrary, he is at full use of his senses. Just in a slightly mischievous mood.:)

Attachments

• ht_test (1).jpg
    ht_test (1).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sharur

Dolby Atmos. Loses half the detail in a song and sends all sounds behind me for no reason.

David Harper

I don't need to imagine that.

me either but most experienced drinkers don't get drunk they've learned how to maintain a buzz for a few hours without getting hammered. I haven't been drunk in 20 years but I drink regularly.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Many here have told me that Geoff Kait is absolutely sincere.

When you look at the amount of time he puts in to perpetuating his nonsense at Audiogon and other sites, he seems to have more persistence than an satirist could.

It seems he took down the “improve your system with a phone call from me” offer, though.
His shtick puts me to mind of Andy Kaufman.
I.e., I am not sure if Geoff Kait's utterly sincere/bat-feces crazy or if he's an extremely capable performance artist. :rolleyes:
His posts at AA sometimes make me laugh (and not ironically so), in full disclosure. ;)

EDIT: zut alors, he's on LinkedIn!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoff-kait-a3458617/

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have a friend who is the owner of a high end store (30+ years) bow wows and big macs etc. and he has to stock and offer expensive branded cables and the rest because he learnt that people would not buy stuff from him if he didn't. The really insane margins occur with the manufacturer/retailer such as Audioquest not a small retailer who is caught up in the game. He simply doesn,t push cables, customers demand them, he lets them take them home to try them, they most always keep them and pay. He shakes his head and says "boys must have their toys".

That is why Danny at GR Research offers this stuff. His customers demanded it. They want to do "one stop shopping" for the basic tweaks even if they don't work.

Propheticus

Passive power amplifier.
Is that like one of those free energy / perpetual motion devices?
Heard a lot of great stories about them on Youtube.

Got a great idea: feed a 2Volt 50Hz tone into the passive power amplifier and have it amplify up to 240V. Now hook up the output to your mains. Free electricity! What could go wrong?
/s

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Galliardist

Major Contributor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom