• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

boswell

I have a friend who is the owner of a high end store (30+ years) bow wows and big macs etc. and he has to stock and offer expensive branded cables and the rest because he learnt that people would not buy stuff from him if he didn't. The really insane margins occur with the manufacturer/retailer such as Audioquest not a small retailer who is caught up in the game. He simply doesn,t push cables, customers demand them, he lets them take them home to try them, they most always keep them and pay. He shakes his head and says "boys must have their toys".

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a friend who is the owner of a high end store (30+ years) bow wows and big macs etc. and he has to stock and offer expensive branded cables and the rest because he learnt that people would not buy stuff from him if he didn't. The really insane margins occur with the manufacturer/retailer such as Audioquest not a small retailer who is caught up in the game. He simply doesn,t push cables, customers demand them, he lets them take them home to try them, they most always keep them and pay. He shakes his head and says "boys must have their toys".
I consider low priced AQ cables to be good value - they are well built, last forever, have nice connectors and are low capacitance.

Expensive range, not so much.

beeface

Very funny.
A 1m stereo pair of Audioquest Evergreen RCA cables is 50 USD. Seems reasonable, given they appear to be well made. What would you suggest as an alternative?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A 1m stereo pair of Audioquest Evergreen RCA cables is 50 USD. Seems reasonable, given they appear to be well made. What would you suggest as an alternative?
The RCA cables that come packaged for free when one purchases something like a CD player, television, preamplifier or box of Cracker Jacks.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's about 5x reasonable, and the build quality is atrocious.
I disagree.

Many cables that are cheaper have connectors that are mostly too loose. AQ are just right - they will never fall off not will take the chassis plugs with them.

I have several switch boxes handling additional sources and my system is close to the wall, so tight connectors are important.

And $25 per "pair" is reasonable. Many of us pay more for alcohol of questionable quality.

Last edited:

beeface

The RCA cables that come packaged for free when one purchases something like a CD player, television, preamplifier or box of Cracker Jacks.
I'm absolutely opposed to overpaying for cables, but I would not rather use those.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I consider low priced AQ cables to be good value - they are well built, last forever, have nice connectors and are low capacitance.

Expensive range, not so much.
TIme was, I would have agreed with this. While the marketing BS was always there, the actual products were well made and reliable. I don't know when this changed, but now AQ like other manufacturers in this category make their cheap cables... cheap. These usually realise that most sales are due to the marketing, rather than the cables being decent, somewhere along the line, and the obvious thing to do at that point is to reduce quality of the cheaper cables - dealers will know to show that the next model up is "better".

JSmith

Master Contributor
1631169629729.png

JSmith

gfinlays

I live in the UK and buy my RCA cables from Ultimate Pro Audio Ltd. They have a range of standard lengths or can custom make to your requirements. A pair of 1m interconnects (Van Damme Pro Grade Classic SP OFC XKE Instrument Cable + Neutrik Rean plugs) costs me about £18. Assembly quality and soldering workmanship are top notch. I've never felt the need to spend any more than this.

mansr

Major Contributor
TIme was, I would have agreed with this. While the marketing BS was always there, the actual products were well made and reliable. I don't know when this changed, but now AQ like other manufacturers in this category make their cheap cables... cheap. These usually realise that most sales are due to the marketing, rather than the cables being decent, somewhere along the line, and the obvious thing to do at that point is to reduce quality of the cheaper cables - dealers will know to show that the next model up is "better".
An AQ "Tower" RCA lead I somehow acquired (I certainly didn't buy it) was so bad it broke while sitting unused in a box.

Grumpish

Can anybody explain the "science" behind such a setup?
This is clearly not bi-amping.
Not looking like bi-wiring.
Are the "+" and "-" kept separated? o_O

Not sure of the science behind it, but I have heard that similar improvements can be had from the strategic positioning of small but expensive crystal pyramids.

Top Bottom