• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm lack any great soldering skills but I had one heck of a time with silver solder and getting it hot enough to flow without heat damage to the component or board.
The last silver solder job I did was for a friend and his little berzerking model sized race truck. It has a high current draw motor in it and necessitated a heavy gauge copper lead from the battery compartment to the drive motor. I ended up holding the wire in my fingers very still while the silver solder took it's time solidifying and I burned my finger tips. I have little love for silver solder. :facepalm:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not in my experience. Nor, in my experience, do dealers pay that much attention to positioning when they are swapping speakers in and out for auditioning, even though they maintain these tiny margins make a difference. Furthermore, the dealer, since I've never seen them do any kind of sound measurements, is very unlikely to find the sweet spot by eyeballing it. I think it is all part of the "golden ears/everything matters" oversell of subjective audiophilia, a gateway drug to thinking some silver cables will have a "profound" effect.

Positioning absolutely matters, but that 1/4 inch is unlikely to be 'profound'.

For wide dispersion dome on flat baffle designs like Wilsons, it's mostly the bass that is affected by speaker position. 1/4 inch is too miniscule compared to bass wavelengths, though, so it won't make any difference.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Big dick energy.

178776196_899874323912188_9067646906752612429_n.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

HoweSound

The following deserves mention:

ADD-Powr

WHAT IS ADD-POWR™️?
ADD-Powr™️ technology is Algorithm Digital Defined Power.

Energy is added to electrical signals and systems.

Our products are
Electronic harmonic resonators.
They are
not AC power line conditioners!

• They generate and propagate low frequency signal information to affect harmonic change to audio signals.
  • They super saturate the AC line voltage with harmonics to affect a 1 to 5% increase of the voltage peaks delivered to the power supplies of system components.
  • They can increase Signal-to-Noise (S/N) by .5 - 1.5 dB.
  • ADD-Powr introduces a new energy reference - based upon the Fourier transform, principles of resonance, and signal theory.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The following deserves mention:

ADD-Powr

WHAT IS ADD-POWR™️?
ADD-Powr™️ technology is Algorithm Digital Defined Power.

Energy is added to electrical signals and systems.

Our products are
Electronic harmonic resonators.
They are
not AC power line conditioners!

• They generate and propagate low frequency signal information to affect harmonic change to audio signals.
  • They super saturate the AC line voltage with harmonics to affect a 1 to 5% increase of the voltage peaks delivered to the power supplies of system components.
  • They can increase Signal-to-Noise (S/N) by .5 - 1.5 dB.
  • ADD-Powr introduces a new energy reference - based upon the Fourier transform, principles of resonance, and signal theory.

From their site:

By 1995 he was also marketing high end audio accessory and holistic health products for a sister company out of which emerged Quantum Life Products and subsequently, Quantum Products in 1999.

Quantum Resonant Technology™ was developed to investigate the physiological effects of electromagnetic fields in biomedical electronics and in the wellness/holistic health market. This technology eventually led to product development within the high end audio accessory market. QRT established and developed the electrical environment conditioning (emf harmonizer / tuner / resonator) niche within the AC power conditioner market.

OK, quack medicine, too. Not just a fraud, an absolutely evil fraud. There's a special place in Hell for creatures like this.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

"I do want to add that my friend told me with his setup, Audio research LS16, Vt200, Mcintosh D150, Focal 1028 and transparent ultra speaker cables, he found the transparent reference XL too smooth and preferred the siltech over it. Note : The transparent Ref XL cables apparently can be calibrated for my amps and speakers if I sent it in. My friend told me it was a big difference when he had his calibrated."

Loathecliff

cochlea

Forum Donor
This is what they have to say about one of their speaker cables:

“Mechanical rifling in the barrel of a firearm allows the bullet to travel in a predictable and more efficient path. We have produced the same type of improvement in the performance of electrical signal transmission, only with our new PMT (Proprietary Metallurgy Technology,) this refinement is accomplished at the molecular level. PMT creates canals in the pure conductor material that allow electrons to flow more freely in the same direction.”

I just don’t know what to even say. :facepalm:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

“Mechanical rifling in the barrel of a firearm allows the bullet to travel in a predictable and more efficient path. We have produced the same type of improvement in the performance of electrical signal transmission, only with our new PMT (Proprietary Metallurgy Technology,) this refinement is accomplished at the molecular level. PMT creates canals in the pure conductor material that allow electrons to flow more freely in the same direction.”

What about when the electrons want to flow the other way? It is AC, after all.

And I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding of how electrons move current in conductive metals.

Rick "who thinks about velocity factor with RF frequencies orders of magnitude higher than audio" Denney

Gregss

Hello, Well, as has been true forever, there is a sucker born every minute. As long as they are spending their money, no problem. Now when they start trying to get others to buy in, that is just wrong.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That is entirely incorrect. The reason that the molecular rifle barrel twist works so well is that it causes the magnetic monopoles to spin in sympathy with the Earth's magnetic field.

BranoO

Hey, this is not fair! All the fancy gear you mention is too expensive for me. Is there any cheaper stuff for poor DIYers who would like to taste some snake oil?

Top Bottom