• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, a musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

What drugs was he on? Can I have some?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No you can't, they're illegal!

I've given up on several forums that promote that sort of crap.

The latest was Wigwam that allowed the promotion of a (digital) cable covered in ferrite beads without one adverse comment, and the promotion of a digital filter costing £3000 again without adverse comment.

It seems to me that anything goes with manufacturers claiming anything without any need of any sort of objective proof.

In some cases, manufacturers don't even have to publish specifications, just have a forum extolling their virtues from their followers without any sort of corroboration.

I'm reminded of Tommy, or The Life of Brian as comparable with what's happening with HiFi.

S.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Ask your doctor if Ayahuasca© is right for you!

DMTAyahuasca.jpg

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, a musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

How many of these does he think he'll sell in year? He must have a $3499 profit on each.
All you really need is one of these . Or, for less one of these .

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As good as this power cord is, just imagine what it would sound like plugged into the PS Audio Direct Stream Nuclear Power Plant Quantum-Flux Regenerator line conditioner. Just thinking about it makes me want to have a cigarette, and I stopped smoking forty years ago!

EdW

Loudspeaker cabling is fertile ground for non scientific mumbo jumbo. With prices which are absolutely absurd... here’s an article

https://robbreport.com.au/homes/Nine-of-the-most-wildly-expensive-speaker-cables/

problem is I’m not sure whether the author of this article realises just how unnecessary these over-hyped products are.

in the meantime I’m investigating some of the mains connectors mentioned above. I’ll use the best for my kettle since it will obviously make my tea taste better

Zensō

Major Contributor
Such a scam. I bet most of these are sold as an add-on purchase as part of an uber-expensive system. What’s another $3,500 when you’re price anchored at $250,000? You’re certainly not going to use a $5.99 power cord for a system in that price bracket. It’s no different than $1,000 floor mats casually dropped in while purchasing a luxury car, or random $1,000+ fees when purchasing an expensive home.

As for the reviewer, he’s either delusional or unscrupulous (I suspect the latter).

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
the most important way I can sum up what the Sigma NRv2 power cord does (particularly when it is used with a Denali v2) is to say that it sounds as if you are in the room with the musicians as they create the music in the moment.

Archsam

Such a scam. I bet most of these are sold as an add-on purchase as part of an uber-expensive system. What’s another $3,500 when you’re price anchored at $250,000? You’re certainly not going to use a $5.99 power cord for a system in that price bracket. It’s no different than $1,000 floor mats casually dropped in while purchasing a luxury car, or random $1,000+ fees when purchasing an expensive home.

As for the reviewer, he’s either delusional or uscrupulous (I suspect the latter).

Or speaker stands - why do speaker manufacturers always come up with stands that is a match of the speaker price?

For example:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...xlLXNoLXdpei1zZXJwwAEB&sclient=mobile-sh-serp

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
As good as this power cord is, just imagine what it would sound like plugged into the PS Audio Direct Stream Nuclear Power Plant Quantum-Flux Regenerator line conditioner. Just thinking about it makes me want to have a cigarette, and I stopped smoking forty years ago!

Just wanted to correct your typo, that should be BS Audio.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or include the freaking stands , of course there should be several different heights you just tell what your ear high are when sitting down and get suggestions for suitable stand .

It’s fun with these “matching” stands in one size fits all, matching is only done when when listening height is included :):facepalm:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this Shunyatta power cable cannot be that good. The Nordost Odin 2 AC Power cable is among the best and vastly superior. You have, of course, to pay more. That Odin Cable is $18,000. I don’t think it is the most expensive power cable around. I’ll have to check the TOL power cables from Transparent Audio or MIT.
The mind boggles.o_O:rolleyes:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
iFi-Audio/Audioquest products that promise to take out noise/filtering electrical signals and fix ground loop issues. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Top Bottom