• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
At least Tone Audio calls them out. $1500 for absolutely nothing. McIntosh has gone so far downhill it will be impossible to recover.

I mean -- it's not nothing. It's a box. And a light. And some sort of power supply. And screws and stuff.
Pretty attractive profit margin, I would think, but not infinite. ;)

Oh, based on the photos, it looks like it can do something.

mac LB200 annotated rear panel.jpg

Oh, and why is it the LB200? (EDIT: ne'er mind, I see now it's the replacement for the LB100). I do hope that Mac'll still provide support to LB100 owners! It'd be a real disappointment to have an LB100 and not be able to repair it, or maybe bring it up to the LB200's lofty spec! Progress marches forward, you know?

:cool:

OK, OK -- I'll stop now...
:facepalm:

Andysu

Major Contributor
I mean -- it's not nothing. It's a box. And a light. And some sort of power supply. And screws and stuff.
Pretty attractive profit margin, I would think, but not infinite. ;)

Oh, based on the photos, it looks like it can do something.

View attachment 214329

Oh, and why is it the LB200? (EDIT: ne'er mind, I see now it's the replacement for the LB100). I do hope that Mac'll still provide support to LB100 owners! It'd be a real disappointment to have an LB100 and not be able to repair it, or maybe bring it up to the LB200's lofty spec! Progress marches forward, you know?

:cool:

OK, OK -- I'll stop now...
:facepalm:
so this is latest snake oil macinSnaketosh that case is as about as common as mud on ebay for under £100

Andysu

Major Contributor
buy cheap metal 19" rack box and rubber stamp macintosh on it , there it is
6370.jpeg

Mojo Warrior

At least they should have put VU meters on the face. Then at least one could sneak a Topping or SMSL amp inside and impress your friends !

noiseangel

ffs, even the (in)famous suitcase has had more inside....

It’s sold out?!? Ok… Why can’t I be a sociopath to take advantage of very wealthy people who want to give their money away!
Try harder mate.Cable manufacturers have no trouble doing it.Heatshrink and cotton casing has made them millions.

Andysu

Major Contributor
so testing cables to see if they transmit TX or RX on golden suitcase ears inside the suitcase ? i just thought of looking up video of inside anechoic chamber for RF EMI EMC

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
I have a Devialet Expert that runs in dual mono. The two units have a digital link cable (RCA to RCA or RCA to XLR). To add to the general foo foo about AQ cables there is a very entertaining thread on Devialet Chat where some VERY expensive AQ cables with the battery pack won’t transmit digital signal between the Master Devialet and the secondary unit at high res. The secondary unit just shuts down. One poor chap spent $3800 on a lead

Apparently AQ ‘researched the issue’ and the new cables now work due to ‘better shielding’ !

I use a 2.5m long home brew made with Mogami 3080 digital cable with neutrik connectors and it works flawlessly at any resolution.

This is definitely in the category of more money than sense - makes me so cross

PS - not a Devialet bashing post - I’m very happy with mine!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I have a Devialet Expert that runs in dual mono. The two units have a digital link cable (RCA to RCA or RCA to XLR). To add to the general foo foo about AQ cables there is a very entertaining thread on Devialet Chat where some VERY expensive AQ cables with the battery pack won’t transmit digital signal between the Master Devialet and the secondary unit at high res. The secondary unit just shuts down. One poor chap spent $3800 on a lead

Apparently AQ ‘researched the issue’ and the new cables now work due to ‘better shielding’ !

I use a 2.5m long home brew made with Mogami 3080 digital cable with neutrik connectors and it works flawlessly at any resolution.

This is definitely in the category of more money than sense - makes me so cross

PS - not a Devialet bashing post - I’m very happy with mine!
Makes you wonder how they managed to screw up a $3800 cable such that it can't even perform it's basic function, and then "fixed" it with shielding?

harm

Perhaps y'all are unaware of "419 scambaiting"? There are various Justice groups toying with professional criminals for the entertainment of all. It is a skillset worth honing for cross application. ;)

Motoman4540

This has been identified in another thread, but it is so stupid that it is worth dropping in here as well . . . I present to you, the Shun Mook Record clamp:

A legendary Shun Mook product now being made in a very, very limited number. This record clamp is made from extremely rare pieces of dried ebony briar. This extra heavy century old ebony root which were immersed in the swamps of Africa has a unique power that no other wood possesses. The vibration generated by the diamond stylus in the vinyl groove besides inducing an electroflux through the phono-cartridge also excites the ebony molecules, causing it to resonate. This in turn is feed back through the stylus and is reproduced as expanded sound staging, enhanced separation, sharpened focus and enriched tonal balance of the music.

How much for this unique record clamp whose "ebony molecules" are so excitable that they start resonating from a stylus' vibration? $5,600! How can anyone suspend rational thought to purchase one of these?

DonR

Major Contributor
This has been identified in another thread, but it is so stupid that it is worth dropping in here as well . . . I present to you, the Shun Mook Record clamp:

A legendary Shun Mook product now being made in a very, very limited number. This record clamp is made from extremely rare pieces of dried ebony briar. This extra heavy century old ebony root which were immersed in the swamps of Africa has a unique power that no other wood possesses. The vibration generated by the diamond stylus in the vinyl groove besides inducing an electroflux through the phono-cartridge also excites the ebony molecules, causing it to resonate. This in turn is feed back through the stylus and is reproduced as expanded sound staging, enhanced separation, sharpened focus and enriched tonal balance of the music.

How much for this unique record clamp whose "ebony molecules" are so excitable that they start resonating from a stylus' vibration? $5,600! How can anyone suspend rational thought to purchase one of these?
Welcome to the forum. An excellent first post.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Somebody forgot to take their meds when they made that description for the record clamp. :facepalm:

MCH

Major Contributor
Oh, I have a few more! Although I was pretty surprised at the KEF Hydro can of fairy dust that "removes moisture" from your listening room in order to reduce interference with Wifi and RF signals to wireless streamers and speakers.
Check out the day the video was published

DonR

Major Contributor
Oh, I have a few more! Although I was pretty surprised at the KEF Hydro can of fairy dust that "removes moisture" from your listening room in order to reduce interference with Wifi and RF signals to wireless streamers and speakers.
Now that HAS to be an April Fools' joke... surely.

Reactions: MCH

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Shun Mook has been selling magic wood chunks for a long time. They are not wrong that a dried wood record clamp will vibrate with the record and some of this will make it back to cartridge. It will sound different than an unclamped record. Part of what makes the sound of LP’s appealing are the harmonics and short time constant reverb added to the signal by the record player. That this bit of wood has dramatically different properties that make it worth $5k+ is the incredulous part. Some folks insist on thinking of hi-fi systems as musical instruments and that is why special woods and cryo treatments make sense to them. If cryo treating a trumpet makes it sound different than cryo treating a CD of a trumpet recording should too. If special wood makes a violin sound different than special wood on my turntable or speakers should too. My view is, as long as they aren’t spending my money, OK.

Top Bottom