• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least Tone Audio calls them out. $1500 for absolutely nothing. McIntosh has gone so far downhill it will be impossible to recover.

Gordon Gow must be laughing as he looks down (no regrets in Heaven but nothing said about humor). He put the “premium” in McIntosh, and built the brand, but always focused on functional excellence in addition to the premium aesthetics. Roger Russel is sitting next to him, also chuckling, one hopes.

Rick “McIntosh: RIP” Denney

MCH

Major Contributor
At least Tone Audio calls them out. $1500 for absolutely nothing. McIntosh has gone so far downhill it will be impossible to recover.

I have the feeling we are getting closer to see something like this in the audio word .... :

Of course, the art world goes decades ahead :D

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I'm confused. Is it just a box with a light in it? Or does it have some other purpose? Is it somewhere to hide the stash? Have McIntosh been having lunch with Ted Denny? So many unanswered questions so little time. This version has the Synergistic Research dots attached to it. No reason to complain now.

ffs, even the (in)famous suitcase has had more inside....

233413661200d7959d3fbc11ceb4d8dd.jpg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Gordon Gow must be laughing as he looks down (no regrets in Heaven but nothing said about humor). He put the “premium” in McIntosh, and built the brand, but always focused on functional excellence in addition to the premium aesthetics. Roger Russel is sitting next to him, also chuckling, one hopes.

Rick “McIntosh: RIP” Denney
I used a very similar phrasing in other thread: McIntosh should not compromise on form or function; they have the capacity to accomplish both and keep the prices high.

sofrep811

It would be hilarious if Amir could get a test sample of that McIntosh Box and write like an Onion style review.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It would be hilarious if Amir could get a test sample of that McIntosh Box and write like an Onion style review.
I am super tempted to send him a processor and an amp. If they´re not that great, I can still resell them even with profit.

sofrep811

Found this on a site selling it. Seriously!!! WTF!?!

The LB200 Light Box replaces the LB100 and features the famous McIntosh logo lit in green against black, accented by sleek aluminum end caps.

The back of the LB200 is what makes it very unique. A removable panel provides access to a large 16.1" (41cm) wide x 4.4" (11.25cm) tall x 13.4" (34.2cm) deep storage compartment inside the LB200 where unattractive components can be placed to both declutter and beautify your home entertainment system. Once the panel is removed, the opening in the back measures 14" (35.5cm) x 2.65" (6.7cm); if something will not fit through this opening but will still fit inside the storage compartment, then the top can be easily removed to place the item(s) in the LB200. Small, dedicated holes are included on the back to help with cable management fasteners.

To control and operate the device(s) placed inside the LB200, an IR receiver kit is included and is neatly installed inside the storage compartment. An e IR sensor window on the front of the LB200 will receive the remote control commands and relay them through the receiver to the device(s) inside the LB200. In most cases, RF and Wi-Fi commands will be able to pass through the LB200 without any significant signal loss.

The front of the LB200 leaves no doubt that it is McIntosh. It lets everyone who looks at your home audio system know where it came from and how it was built as it proudly displays a large, illuminated McIntosh logo and "Handcrafted In The USA Since 1949" statement as a badge of honor. Even if you don't have any devices to place inside the LB200 its front panel alone can make it a worthy addition to your system.

The LB200 is about the same size as a McIntosh CD player and will easily fit into any standard audio/video rack, on a piece of furniture, or stacked on top of other McIntosh gear for easy placement. The top, bottom, and sides of the LB200 feature an abundance of ventilation slots to allow for any heat generated by devices placed inside it to dissipate.2

There is a Power Control input and output on the back so you can seamlessly turn the LB200 on and off with all your other McIntosh components; a power switch on the back panel can be used instead of Power Control. The LB200 features the timeless McIntosh aesthetic of an illuminated black glass front panel and aluminum endcaps.

FEATURES​

• A must for every McIntosh owner
  • Can be seamlessly turned on and off with other McIntosh components via Power Control

TECHNICAL SPECS​

• Power control input: 1
  • Power control output: 1
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 17 1/2" x 6" x 11 7/16"
  • Weight: 12 lbs.
  • McIntosh Light Box
  • Compatible with McIntosh’s Power Control so it will turn on and off with your system

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am super tempted to send him a processor and an amp. If they´re not that great, I can still resell them even with profit.
Yes! I love my vintage MC7300, but I'd love to see a McIntosh amp goes through the rigors of Amir's testing. It sounds like you might want to clear the "weight limit" with Amir, since he often complains about heavy gear.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Yes! I love my vintage MC7300, but I'd love to see a McIntosh amp goes through the rigors of Amir's testing. It sounds like you might want to clear the "weight limit" with Amir, since he often complains about heavy gear.
I was thinking about an MX100 and an MI347. Both are on the light side.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Naim have a £600 mains cable (Powerline). They list the following ‘features’
  • Thermoset resin plug cases with floating pins for superior electrical contact
  • 4mm2 copper conductors with individual dielectric insulation
  • Rubber outer sheath for high levels of inherent mechanical damping
  • 2m length for added flexibility with installations
So - nice plug, thick conductors, rubber coating and enough cable to move your equipment 2m apart.

Question - is this worse than snake oil - no magic is promised, it’s just a very expensive cable.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was thinking about an MX100 and an MI347. Both are on the light side.
To quote James Brown... "Please... Please... Please..." I just wanna know (after ALL these years) is my love for Mc's is all in my head (as all love of course is) or if they validate that with numbers. I'd be very surprised if the numbers varied greatly from what the factory publishes. I'm open and ready to be either surprised or validated. Either way... I'm still gonna love my rig.

1656006049716.jpeg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
To quote James Brown... "Please... Please... Please..." I just wanna know (after ALL these years) is my love for Mc's is all in my head (as all love of course is) or if they validate that with numbers. I'd be very surprised if the numbers varied greatly from what the factory publishes. I'm open and ready to be either surprised or validated. Either way... I'm still gonna love my rig.

View attachment 214297
There´s no reason not to. Overpriced? Compared to some other gear, no doubt. Well-performing? I´m sure it is. Elegant? I´d say so.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I quite like the fake hifi box idea, gotta be expensive to keep the riff raff away from the brand.

chuckt62

Editor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Best Coffee on the Planet

2021 World Barista Championship Results​

1. Diego Campos, Colombia
2. Andrea Allen, United States
3. Hugh Kelly, Australia
4. Emi Fukahori, Switzerland
5. Martin Shabaya, Kenya
6. Wojciech Tysler, Ireland
We're just too busy making delicious coffee to worry about competitions. :cool:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
There´s no reason not to. Overpriced? Compared to some other gear, no doubt. Well-performing? I´m sure it is. Elegant? I´d say so.
Elegant?

Not to me. Industrial perhaps, but far from elegant.

chuckt62

Editor
Top Bottom