• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

BeeKay

maxresdefault.jpg

Mojo Warrior

After reading this forum I have come to the conclusion that there is a fairly easy method to spot Snake Oil. If a product is priced many times higher than competing products then there is reason to believe that it is Snake Oil. Examples could be:

Power cables that sell for $50 vs $9000
Speaker Cables that sell for $60 vs $12,000
Power amp that sells for $3500 vs $120,000

DonR

Major Contributor
After reading this forum I have come to the conclusion that there is a fairly easy method to spot Snake Oil. If a product is priced many times higher than competing products then there is reason to believe that it is Snake Oil. Examples could be:

Power cables that sell for $50 vs $9000
Speaker Cables that sell for $60 vs $12,000
Power amp that sells for $3500 vs $120,000
Also, products that do not exist for the mainstream market because they solve a problem that simply does not exist. Cable lifts come to mind.

egellings

Major Contributor
Yup. Cable lifts are a solution looking for a problem to solve and coming up empty while refusing to admit it.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Hi Fi Ethernet switches have been around for a while. “Everything matters” is an audiophile mantra. What I have wanted to know since the first time I read the “explanations” on hi fi cable web sites is do the designers really believe this horse hockey or are they lying. Some of each, I think. If you read MIT cable’s web site and then read their patent applications, you will find them quite different. You go from ‘nodes of articulation” to all pass filters.
In other words THEY LIE! Scumbags.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Don't know if this has been shown here yet but... enjoy

Available on eBay for $299 each... a bargain.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/294713133777?hash=item449e458ad1:g:A78AAOSwtKhh3Ol2

The "technology" involved: http://audiophile.rocks/technology.html
OMG. I looked at the Crystal Development" chart and I swear if you study it you may have a stroke! I can't say what I think about this item as I will get too much push back from the audience. So, lets just say I wouldn't buy it unless I was crazy. A back handed slap!

DonR

Major Contributor
OMG. I looked at the Crystal Development" chart and I swear if you study it you may have a stroke! I can't say what I think about this item as I will get too much push back from the audience. So, lets just say I wouldn't buy it unless I was crazy. A back handed slap!
Genius really. They have been selling these things for more than a decade and keep changing the "formula" so encouraging dupes to buy the latest version. I wonder if there is a thriving secondhand market for these things or does the "effect" wear off in time? i.e. are they perishable?

Jon wise

Wow he found it really good though, "In general, and in comparison to the others in house, the T2S Stabilizer gave me more of what I enjoy about the vinyl experience—my soundstage was wider, deeper, imaging was crackerjack, and timbral accuracy uncanny. At first needle drop, the sound seemed fresher, cleaner—scrubbed up—a very musical ablution. More open and detailed but with all the specifics my system synergy brings. Additive".

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow he found it really good though, "In general, and in comparison to the others in house, the T2S Stabilizer gave me more of what I enjoy about the vinyl experience—my soundstage was wider, deeper, imaging was crackerjack, and timbral accuracy uncanny. At first needle drop, the sound seemed fresher, cleaner—scrubbed up—a very musical ablution. More open and detailed but with all the specifics my system synergy brings. Additive".
These guys must get the best drugs. Top shelf for sure.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost miraculous how a dumb lump of metal can work out all the "system synergy" it is not allowed to touch and only add openness and detail, scrubbing and cleaning as it goes. And how it can do that so much better than all other dumbass lumps of metal, just because it costs so much more.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Vacuuming under cable lifts is just their fringe benny.
Or only.

I'm on the lookout for suitable little pink panthers to get the job done.

edit: yeah, I know phase panthers will get me more lift.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I read as far as "machined out of solid titanium"

WTF is the point of using titanium ( a low density metal - roughly half than that for stainless steel for example) for a record stabiliser which needs as much mass as you can throw at it.

Oh - because titanium sounds like it might be more high tech of course.
I can see the advantage of a light weight clamp, if it actually does the job it's supposed to. I damaged the bearing on my first turntable with a record clamp that was too heavy.

On the other hand, when I looked into this properly, I decided a clamp probably wasn't providing any real sonic benefit anyway. I didn't blind test or anything like that. Flat LPs are the way to go, if I may state the obvious

radix

Major Contributor

Galliardist

Major Contributor

FURUTECH - DF-2 LP Disc Flattener​

Only $3100.

Well, at least it does something useful if it works... but of course what I should have said, the real point, is

No LPs are the way to go, if I may state the obvious :)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost miraculous how a dumb lump of metal can work out all the "system synergy" it is not allowed to touch and only add openness and detail, scrubbing and cleaning as it goes. And how it can do that so much better than all other dumbass lumps of metal, just because it costs so much more.
And at the same time accomplish all that while absorbing the entirety of the turntable's suspension compliance.

Rick "doesn't want to put car springs in his Thorens" Denney

Top Bottom