• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

radix

Major Contributor
So what we have is a $3500 flat surface that must sit on top of another flat surface that we already have, so we can put an amp on it that needs a flat surface to sit on.

I'll grant that it is a very pretty flat surface.

Have I got that about right?

It likely also keeps Roomba from bumping into your amp.

Last edited:

Larry B. Larabee

I have to say that is very true. The sheer number of mentally ill people in the USA is staggering compared to when I was a kid. Seems like it is about 25% or more of the population. Then in our wisdom we made keyboards available and put them all on the internet. So, I'm starting a new hat company.........
According to the most recent information available the average I.Q. is 83. That's the worldwide figure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the most recent information available the average I.Q. is 83. That's the worldwide figure.
Wow... That's outrageous. I was fooling about. I had 3 and a 1/2 beers in me and did a online IQ test and scored 134. It was a bit baffling at times and I had no idea how I was doing but it turned out not bad. :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets worse. The problem with Democracy is that half the voters are below average intelligence.
Hear, hear! I've thought about this before although it seems to have worked out "mostly" in the past elections. Other than a couple of serious hick-ups most times we do OK.

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The average is ~100 when factored for a countries educational system.
IQ = intellectual age / chronological
The issue is to take the test you must have some education, reading, etc.
Third world countries many don't have the level required, that drags the average down.
It does not mean less intellect, but less education.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Third world countries many don't have the level required, that drags the average down.

The test I did was mostly diagrams and pictures of stuff. With my excellent technical drafting abilities I was able to figure out the diagrams pretty easily and the tricky stuff and so I am thankful for that and the drafting education I have too.

Ingenieur

The test I did was mostly diagrams and pictures of stuff. With my excellent technical drafting abilities I was able to figure out the diagrams pretty easily and the tricky stuff and so I am thankful for that and the drafting education I have too.

They come in many different formats based on age and education level.

EBBE1048-FB87-4972-8DF6-ED44D83A8097.jpeg

Larry B. Larabee

True enough. The figure I quoted probably accounted those with a liberal bias. :)

Vain

I think most engineers are naturally skeptical about claims that power cables, interconnects and speaker cables can improve bass response, enhance separation, make the mids sweeter etc etc. But even that pales in comparison with expensive magic wooden grounding boxes and a bunch of other mind boggling stuff.

I do wonder if you can reverse engineer cable claims to determine what needs to be that poorly designed, built, setup that an expensive power cable will actually be able to fix. I can't think of anything.

Maybe some cable manufacturers put purpose designed circuits inside their cables that are designed to self destruct after X amount of hours of use so that they end up sounding like normal power cables after they've been 'burnt in' :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ingenieur

Well that explains my stupidity yet passing with flying colors. lol. :D Technically I'm fairly sharp but emotional IQ is kinda lame...lol

I'm not sure one 'passes' an I/Q test, it is an assessment and is what it is.

I cut mine up into 4-1/4 x 4-1/4" squares and store it in the smallest room in my house for emergency situations. ;)

I doubt I could get out of double digits.
My lovely wife says I'm the smartest moron she knows. Lol

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I can't think of anything.

Neither can I. As far as I can tell, most of the power cable voodoo priests present them as a super narrow and super steep bandpass filter at precisely 50 or 60Hz. I have no idea how a cable is supposed to have that characteristic. Belongs in the realm of perpetual motion and cold fusion.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mcintosh Meeting: Some of our customers are really stupid, but have disposable income. How can we take advantage of that?
I thought those $1,500 light boxes displaying the company logo had already established the corporate ethos.

Top Bottom