• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I'm glad we still use the better system here. Inches are useful more often than centimeters and millimeters. Feet are useful more often than meters. Yards work fine instead of meters. The same with miles. This is a big country. Kilometers are too small. Our signs would need to be bigger to handle all those digits.

The same goes for Fahrenheit vs celsius. We have big temperature swings here. There is not enough detail in celsius. Have to add too many decimals. It makes sense having a lot of numbers between freezing, cold, ok, warm, hot and August.

I'm not going outside = -x to 15, too damn cold = 16 to 28, cold = 29 to 39, water freezing/snow sticking = 32, cool = 40 to 58, ok = 59 to 69, warm = 70 to 79, hot = 80 to 95, August = 95 to 110.

Here in Oklahoma, we sometimes get down to 0F in the winter and usually hit 108F in the summer. 108F with 80% humidity is another "I'm not going outside".

Celsius compacts those down too much. 0 for freezing and 38 for too hot. That's crazy.

Temperatures need a wider range so we know what to wear or whether we need to stay inside.
I don't know how the rest of the world manages just fine to figure what to wear or how fast they are driving.

Other than fractional measuring in the construction business, few others use Imperial units.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I'm glad we still use the better system here. Inches are useful more often than centimeters and millimeters. Feet are useful more often than meters. Yards work fine instead of meters. The same with miles. This is a big country. Kilometers are too small. Our signs would need to be bigger to handle all those digits.

The same goes for Fahrenheit vs celsius. We have big temperature swings here. There is not enough detail in celsius. Have to add too many decimals. It makes sense having a lot of numbers between freezing, cold, ok, warm, hot and August.

I'm not going outside = -x to 15, too damn cold = 16 to 28, cold = 29 to 39, water freezing/snow sticking = 32, cool = 40 to 58, ok = 59 to 69, warm = 70 to 79, hot = 80 to 95, August = 95 to 110.

Here in Oklahoma, we sometimes get down to 0F in the winter and usually hit 108F in the summer. 108F with 80% humidity is another "I'm not going outside".

Celsius compacts those down too much. 0 for freezing and 38 for too hot. That's crazy.

Temperatures need a wider range so we know what to wear or whether we need to stay inside.
Goodness , next you’ll be saying it would be a good thing to have a World Series and world champions in a competition that only takes place with North American teams.

Oh wait …
:D

D

Deleted member 21219

1708519529829.jpeg

Jim

AdrianusG

View attachment 351236

Jim
I don't have any problems with all these differing units, i know (approx) the differences:) measure however you see fit;) the only head-scratcher for me is, why is there a difference between Land and Sea miles? how did that came about?

I know Sea Miles (1.8 Km) has something to do with the circumference measurement of the Earth in relation to.... or something like that.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I suggest a new and interesting topic on which to disagree: driving on the right or on the left?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Goodness , next you’ll be saying it would be a good thing to have a World Series and world champions in a competition that only takes place with North American teams.
Oh wait …:D
Well baseball coined the title "World Series" long before world champion was as well defined.
But now the NFL, NHL, NBA, NASCAR & NHRA all sometimes call their National Champion the World Champion.
True some of these associations have competitors from several countries, play games in a few countries and have teams in two countries, but still thier title is National.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm with you on this point. For our home we use Ecobee thermostats and will raise or lower the temperature by one degree F. That's all we need. Likewise with outside temps. I like the narrower, non-needed-decimal temperature gradients. I guess it's what one is used to when it comes to distance measurements - or any of them I guess...

CapMan

Major Contributor
I suggest a new and interesting topic on which to disagree: driving on the right or on the left?

Total tangent here be related to the right / left thing.

We visited Bodiam castle at the weekend.

When it was built in 1360 an attacking army could only access the gate via a causeway running left to right and parallel to the castle walls.

Because knights were always right handed it meant their shield side was on the left and their bodies were totally exposed to archers in the castle for a reasonable amount of time. By the way - those archers could fire an arrow 360m at a rate of 12 per minute !

Picture below… sorry for the digression, I found the thinking of medieval architects really insightful :)

IMG_6343.jpeg

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You know, I am just sitting here musing about the precision* of a measurement (ostensibly) presented in the media as "roughly the size of six or seven" washing machines. Our washing machine is 27 inches, umm, I mean ,about 67.8 cm wide.
6 x 67.8 cm = 406.8 cm
7 x 67.8 cm = 474.6 cm

so... the hole is 440.7 cm +/- 15.4% wide (or long, as the case may be)
We can determine the location of a cell phone within inches (or whatever ;)) -- but +/- 15% is the best we can do to measure a fricking four-ish meter long hole in a road?
"ROUGHLY"
?!?

There is no hope for civilization. No wonder folks can sell audiophiles a box of rocks to ground their system. :facepalm:

Where is are MIT and Oliver Smoot when we need 'em?

View attachment 351221

OK, definitely time for more coffee!

Garden sheds ("A shedload of" - or the more precise "A metric shedload of")
Double decker buses.
Football fields (the soccer type for you USAnians)
Land area of Wales (The country, not the marine mammal)

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Because knights were always right handed it meant their shield side was on the left and their bodies were totally exposed to archers in the castle for a reasonable amount of time
left-handed knights had an advantage to conquer this castle.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Depending on its size, we on this side of the pond will measure things in units of:

Garden sheds ("A shedload of" - or the more precise "A metric shedload of")
Double decker buses.
Football fields (the soccer type for you USAnians)
Land area of Wales (The country, not the marine mammal)
We also use Olympic swimming pools as a unit of volume. Specifically in the context of how much raw sewage gets pumped into our sea and rivers every day by dodgy water companies :(

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Total tangent here be related to the right / left thing.

We visited Bodiam castle at the weekend.

When it was built in 1360 an attacking army could only access the gate via a causeway running left to right and parallel to the castle walls.

Because knights were always right handed it meant their shield side was on the left and their bodies were totally exposed to archers in the castle for a reasonable amount of time. By the way - those archers could fire an arrow 360m at a rate of 12 per minute !

Picture below… sorry for the digression, I found the thinking of medieval architects really insightful :)

View attachment 351313
In one of those weird coincidenty things - I first heard of Bodiam castle a couple of days ago when we looked up shooting locations for the film Wonka that we'd just watched. Now two days later here it is again.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We also use Olympic swimming pools as a unit of volume. Specifically in the context of how much raw sewage gets pumped into our sea and rivers every day by dodgy water companies :(
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that one.

CapMan

Major Contributor
In one of those weird coincidenty things - I first heard of Bodiam castle a couple of days ago when we looked up shooting locations for the film Wonka that we'd just watched. Now two days later here it is again.
Trivia time - it had 28 toilets which smelt so bad that any clothing infested with fleas or moths would be hung there to kill said bugs.

Top Bottom