• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake oil and the differences between LP pressings?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another fun point--speaking of 'snake oil'. At the Shure Web presence they maintain a lot of information about their phono days. Their FAQ makes some interesting reading. Some of us recall that although the V15MR was top of the line, for a brief period Shure came out with an 'Ultra' line. Supposedly even better quality with some sort of 'special' undefined magic. It got a lot of positive reviews back then. The reason I bring it up is because the Shure FAQ states that the Ultra was the same thing as a regular V15 in a different body and with different packaging. LOL

Robin L

Master Contributor
It ended that way, but early on I recall the unit being sort of a low entry level MM cartridge intended for the general market. A step above the workhorse M3D. I could be mistaken... it was a long time ago. I recall owning an M44, M55, an M75 and later the V15 III. The V15 came with a Dual 1229, as a package. I then 'graduated' to the MC scene, for better or no. Then it was a V15 V MR, and later the V15xMR, which IMO was the best of the bunch.

Somewhere I recently read (on-line but I don't recall where) an interview with a Shure engineer-marketing guy. He said the company was closely held, and that entry back into the phono market was unlikely. Of course my opinion is meaningless, but I wish they would reconsider.

PS: I recently refurbed a Dual 704. The original V15 III cartridge was included, and appears to be pristine. During the mid to late '70s Dual had a deal with Shure, selling integrated units--at least in the US. After that Dual went with Ortofon, which IMO was a mistake inasmuch as the so-called Dual ULM arm was widely viewed as mated to a particular cartridge brand that was not only expensive, but in many minds not as good as other offerings. Dual soon went belly up after that, a casualty of better quality Japanese turntables (at the price point) and digital.
Shure offered the M44-7, with a big conical [0.7 mil] stylus and a maximum tracking force of 3 grams. there was also the M44-G, with a conical [smaller, 0.6] stylus and a maximum tracking force of 1.5 grams. I don't know which is chicken and which is egg, but the M44-7, tracking at 3 grams, seemed to flatten out a lot of ticks and pops.

Pete G

Used to spend time searching thru garage sales looking for rare vinyl. Found a few that were keepers. For the most part, found the new pressings from original analog tapes was a "better" audio experience. Comparing an original pressing to a new pressing, remastered, vinyl had a typical feature; dead wax area was larger than the original. A friend who owns a record store explained the techy stuff of "why" this occurred and the"betterer" tech stuff cutting the master die.
All I know was I heard nuance and detail on the new vinyl pressing vs. the older vinyl. I'm not a techy, just a plain "old" audiophile. Have abandoned searching for rare first pressings and paying too much for them. It is impossible to rebuild my collection from the 60s. But am able to fill in gaps with the new pressings and am satisfied with I can buy these days.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Used to spend time searching thru garage sales looking for rare vinyl. Found a few that were keepers. For the most part, found the new pressings from original analog tapes was a "better" audio experience. Comparing an original pressing to a new pressing, remastered, vinyl had a typical feature; dead wax area was larger than the original. A friend who owns a record store explained the techy stuff of "why" this occurred and the"betterer" tech stuff cutting the master die.
All I know was I heard nuance and detail on the new vinyl pressing vs. the older vinyl. I'm not a techy, just a plain "old" audiophile. Have abandoned searching for rare first pressings and paying too much for them. It is impossible to rebuild my collection from the 60s. But am able to fill in gaps with the new pressings and am satisfied with I can buy these days.

+1

I have many many new reissues that are much better made, in terms of pressing quality and vinyl quality, than the originals.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is impossible to rebuild my collection from the 60s.
I am glad to say I only sold a few LPs then stopped, probably because I am a hoarder, so I have 95% of the LPs I ever bought, OTOH I don't buy many now, probably 3 or 4 in the last 10 years.

Abe_W

Any self respecting young lad should NEVER EVER pay more than 18 dollars for a new LP.

When a old farmer dies (from what is referred to as a finite lifespan) and his wife's selling his old collection, a young self respecting lad can go pick up 10 very good pressings for 1 dollar!

250 bucks for a record?!?! If ya forfeit 4 of those, you could have got a very nice DAC for a 1000 bucks stoopid....

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any self respecting young lad should NEVER EVER pay more than 18 dollars for a new LP.

Sorry, not possible to limit to 18 dollars, unless you also insist that everyone else shares your exact taste in music ;-)

(I have plenty of soundtracks and other albums for which I paid more than 18 dollars and I'm very, very happy for having bought them).

Unclevanya

One of my worst sounding lps of all time new out of the box was a double live Fleetwood Mac one. A friend convinced me to try waking it in diluted Dawn lowered dishwashing soap. And since I had nothing to lose I did. For several plays the moving coil cartridge I was using seemed to dig out debris and need cleaning frequently during playback and then it was finally "clean". The record played remarkably well after that. I don't have any evidence of actual improvement - nothing double blind - but it wasn't a subtle transition. If I had owned a good record vac and fluid I'd have tried that.

My point is that a bad sounding lp can possibly be made better. I wonder if they are actually grading any or just cleaning them.

Top Bottom