• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake oil and fraud in the professional audio community

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm certainly not creating any threads calling Ray Dunzl a fraud.

This sort of thing breeds toxicity and hate. Perhaps next time I'll just report it.

Good Day Ray
If Greg Calbi is spending time switching between two high-end cables and charging his clients high hourly rates while he does it, either he believes the cables make a difference and is incompetent or he's defrauding his clients.

Mr. Calbi is surely not the only offender. It seems that much of what goes on in wildly expensive mastering sessions is more about impressing technically unsophisticated clients than it is about calibrating recordings for typical consumer playback gear.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm calling you out now, tough guy! ;)

Errors should never be corrected. False claims should never be criticized. Nonsense distributed on YouTube must always be met with silence. Because, they're, like, just his opinion, man.

One day, you'll get it.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Errors should never be corrected. False claims should never be criticized. Nonsense distributed on YouTube must always be met with silence. Because, they're, like, just his opinion, man.

One day, you'll get it.
I should not have used the words "call out" because that's become a popular term on social media for turning a digital mob loose on someone who has violated a tenet of contemporary "woke" ideology.

But I was just criticizing Greg Calbi for his bullshit, in the hope that a potential client of his might see the thread and maybe spend his or her money on a mastering engineer who does not brag about spending billable time fiddling with cables.

Darkweb

I should not have used the words "call out" because that's become a popular term on social media for turning a digital mob loose on someone who has violated a tenet of contemporary "woke" ideology.

But I was just criticizing Greg Calbi for his bullshit, in the hope that a potential client of his might see the thread and maybe spend his or her money on a mastering engineer who does not brag about spending billable time fiddling with cables.
Lol that is so petty.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you offer your opinions to the world then you are also inviting the world to comment as people see fit on those opinions. That is as true for social media, YouTube etc as it is for the more formal publishing avenues.

The fact you feel you need to "CALL OUT" a guy for having an opinion on Youtube says a lot more about you than it does him.

Didn't know pointing out a dude wasting money on messing with cables that do nothing with the sound, is being mean or toxic. The audio community really is like what the medical community was in 1900's before laws banning snake oil claims/products were introduced. I really ponder what state the audio community will be if its slapped with same laws(worldwide)??.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mr. Calbi is surely not the only offender. It seems that much of what goes on in wildly expensive mastering sessions is more about impressing technically unsophisticated clients than it is about calibrating recordings for typical consumer playback gear.

I recently sold my D&D 8Cs, and got a lot of interest from studio people. It became clear to me that for several of them it was actually quite important how their potential clients would perceive the speakers. Part of what counted for them was to be able to say "I have speakers which are technologically cutting edge, among the best there is, and recommended by Stereophile". The actual sound and performance obviously also mattered, but I was surprised by the weight some of them put on the impression of their setup to prospective customers.

I understand that's a part of doing business. Still find it a bit sad that it's like that, somehow.

(btw, reminds me of a story I heard from my cousin, who previously worked on the development of fairly complicated medical technology in a private company. He told me that they had different brochures/sales pitches for customers in different countries. For German customers, they needed to explain how their technology worked and why it was superior to the competitors, concerning the basic main functions. Whereas for Chinese customers they often needed to make a very long list of functions and things that their device could do - the longer the list the more impressive, apparently)

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'm certainly not creating any threads calling Ray Dunzl a fraud.

This sort of thing breeds toxicity and hate. Perhaps next time I'll just report it.

Good Day Ray
If Ray was not only perpetuating fraud, but also posting about it here or on YT... I would be happy to make such a thread.
Since that is not the case... what would be the point in saying it in the first place? Other than passive aggressive vitriol?

FWIW I'm not making a thread saying (the) Darkweb is a den of pedophiles and drug dealers... but that would actually be a defensible position. ;)
(Making such a statement is exactly "the sort of thing that breeds toxicity and hate" isn't it?.... just sayin')

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We should always be willing to call others' opinions nonsense. It's Ad Hominem we should avoid (i.e. say "this claim is BS/Snake Oil" not "Mr.___ is a fraud".

On the other hand, if someone is out there charging five figures for a cable break-in machine, I think they may have earned the title "scam artist", inasmuch as the thing they're selling is a scam. So there's a line somewhere.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The fact you feel you need to "CALL OUT" a guy for having an opinion on Youtube says a lot more about you than it does him.
The thread is about an industry issue, not a personal one.

Top Bottom