• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV D3 Review (R2R DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 142 50.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 99 35.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Not really. One way *thinks* it's rooted in science and proof...
It is not thinking. Everything about audio is indeed science. To think that somehow all of this audio technology came to be without any science at all is absolutely absurd. Literally every single bit of the audio world is based around science.

It is only the audiophile community that somehow has people who think that it is instead based on feeling and that you feel a new headphone or audio equipment into reality.
It's like saying that a standard Toyota Corolla sport package is actually faster than a Nissan GTR because you feel like it is faster than a Nissan gtr. It does not matter that the performance numbers don't match up and it does not matter that there were third-party reviewers who tested both a Nissan GTR and a Corolla and found out that the GTR was faster. You are going to continue to believe that the Toyota Corolla is faster. Then you are going to paint your Toyota Corolla a wild color and spend over $100,000 on it because it is somehow better than a GTR because you said so.

Or if you are more familiar with the computer world it is like saying that an Intel seller on CPU is actually faster than an i9/i7 because you felt like it was faster than the i9/i7. Even though there are no performance metrics to back this up it is just about your feeling of using the computer and you have just decided that the Celeron is faster.

lewdish

Just stumbled upon this on the SMSL website; looks like they decided to build it because of all the people chasing R2R distortion for some reason... still don't understand why you would want to have ancient tech that performs worse.

Yea, because they like low detail music. They should just buy a top tier $100 dac and then some $50 headphones so they can keep their music low detail.
Not all R2R dacs are worse, Holo Audio (and seemingly to a degree Denafrips as well) for instance makes R2R DACs that measure pretty competitively w/ the top tier delta sigma dacs. I personally haven't heard any but some audio folks seem to like them subjectively at least. Idk if its the money talking or if its really any different though.

tonymontana168

Thank you Amir for the review!

I am also surprised that SMSL couldn't do better with R2R design.
Denafrips Ares, Amir tested, measured slightly better at least and is cheaper.
But did anyone even listen to this in a high end system? This is craziness! I tried this DAC out and it sounds incredible.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
But did anyone even listen to this in a high end system? This is craziness! I tried this DAC out and it sounds incredible.
well, if everything else in the system sounds good, I am pretty sure any dac above SINAD of 90ish would sound good, if it got some gimmick for psychological effects it will sound even better.

tparm

Forum Donor
Not really the way things work here, these would tether trust a machine than their ears. ‍♂️. You’ll get blasted for asking about something that is built to produce sound, sounds…..

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Define "high end"

I honestly hope you don't define "high end" by the price tag of an component. Many reviews here have shown that expensive components hardly ever objectively perform well. Even if they do objectively perform well their performance is tanked when you look at performance vs. cost ratio.

Check the review table.
"High end" as in objectively great performance can be had for a couple hundred bucks now days.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
outside of this little microcosm i doubt anyone calls cheap but good stuff "high end"

god you guys need to get out of your bubble

its not that I dont agree that there's good stuff to be had for cheap like a Topping D10S but... "high end" because that's what I think the chart says??? jesus christ

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
outside of this little microcosm i doubt anyone calls cheap but good stuff "high end"

its not that I dont agree that there's good stuff to be had for cheap like a Topping D10S but... "high end" because that's what I think the chart says??? jesus christ

I dont think that was suggested. "High end " means the same here as elsewhere in audio land- hefty, costly kit that gets rave subjective reviews. Its just that here, many members won't also assume that means good objective performance.

I think @Lupin was suggesting the performance levels many assume accompanies "high end" products can actually be had for far less rather than trying to redefine the term itself.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

So how would you define it? Overpriced? Rated by "experts", most of whom are old enough to have hearing loss? Or, to be generous, expensive with good build and finish and adequate performance?

Top Bottom