• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV A2 Review (Stereo Amplifier & DAC)

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Right, but who is a class a amp for? Oppose to class d. What type of audiophile
Class D amplifier uses a PWM controlled voltage generator to produce the output. This is very different from the continuous analog Class A or A/B. Class D advantages include high efficiency, compact size, and low heat dissipation compared to traditional Class A and A/B amplifier designs.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are types of audiophiles?
Vinylphiles, digitalphies, tubephiles, classDphiles, headphiles, IEMphiles, vintagephiles... Many tribes in this jungle lol.

HorizonsEdge

Vinylphiles, digitalphies, tubephiles, classDphiles, headphiles, IEMphiles, vintagephiles... Many tribes in this jungle lol.

Which are mainstream diseases and which are orphans requiring non-traditional funding methods?

JoaoPedro

Thanks for the review.I am confused,does it have a DAC or the PCM signal been converted to PWM signals,then fed into class D amplifier.

I have the same doubt. I can’t find any reference to the DAC chip used.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same doubt. I can’t find any reference to the DAC chip used.

Because there is none. It’s a class D amplifier with a direct digital connection. It directly converts PCM to PWM, and uses an ADC to read the analog signal from the amp and then apply feedback digitally.

Ibaloo

Thank you Amirm for the review, but I violently disagree with the denomination of "desktop amplifier".
Unless you have a 3m depth desk there's no speaker with such low sensitivity to require 200W at 4 ohms. 200 W on a 85 dB sensitivity speaker at 1m is an unhealthy experiment.

SMSL SA300 is a desktop amplifier, and also SMSL DA-9. But definitely you can't name this a desktop amplifier.

JoaoPedro

Are there any other class D amps on the market with the same "direct digital connection" design?

godmax

Are there any other class D amps on the market with the same "direct digital connection" design?
Yes, almost all amplifiers from Lyngdorf use the PCM to PWM approach (based on Texas Instruments Equibit, thats over 20 years old already)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, almost all amplifiers from Lyngdorf use the PCM to PWM approach (based on Texas Instruments Equibit, thats over 20 years old already)

Except that those designs all perform much worse than this one.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Guys.... PCM to PWM conversion is technically a D to A conversion. And that's why there needs to be a ADC to convert back to digital for processing.

JoaoPedro

Lyngdorf is quite more expensive… Would you say A2 is “bargain”? Or for 1000 usd range there are still better sounding options?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note also that the main speakers will always run full-range.
ARgh. FAIL. Sigh, such a common failure too. It's really the INTERNAL that needs the filtering-most all subs have it.

Scrivs

Forum Donor
May you suggest a NCore stereo Amp + an external Dac that would set you back only 600$?
May you suggest a NCore stereo Amp + an external Dac that would set you back only 600$?

I assembled a NC252MP in to one of those lovely Ghent pre-drilled enclosures. Made a few minor mods ( in the spirit of: noise immunity, extra insulation and neatness. Too lazy to check right meow but I’m comfortably under $500. I run my amp thru a firmware upgraded SU-9 ( over budget, got it). However, I also run an E30 into it with adapter (se to xlr), also silent. E30s, I believe are around $150 or so. So yeah, maybe right around $600 would be my vote. Good luck, and have fun with it!

JoaoPedro

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've ordered the VMV A2 almost 3 weeks ago from hifi-express.com . I already have the traking number, but no indication about the expected delivery date. No answer as well from my inquiries. So far I am not very happy with their customer service.

Once it arrives I will let you now my assessment.

PeteL

Major Contributor
@Scrivs
"I assembled a NC252MP in to one of those lovely Ghent pre-drilled enclosures. Made a few minor mods ( in the spirit of: noise immunity, extra insulation and neatness. Too lazy to check right meow but I’m comfortably under $500. I run my amp thru a firmware upgraded SU-9 ( over budget, got it). However, I also run an E30 into it with adapter (se to xlr), also silent. E30s, I believe are around $150 or so. So yeah, maybe right around $600 would be my vote. Good luck, and have fun with it!"

But you are not calculating work, you are not calculating margins, you are not calculating tooling. What you describe is worth much much more than 600$

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Apologies if I misunderstood, I was just trying to share a diy option that perhaps he might want to give it a go (if so inclined). I don’t have any toes dipped in the industry- paid going rates for all required items, and there’s at least a handful of documented builds that serve as really generous gestures of time and effort. This forum, and the information that is shared here by Amir, yourself and others is very much appreciated,

JoaoPedro

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've ordered the VMV A2 almost 3 weeks ago from hifi-express.com . I already have the traking number, but no indication about the expected delivery date. No answer as well from my inquiries. So far I am not very happy with their customer service.

Once it arrives I will let you now my assessment.
The VMV A2 has finally arrived from hifi-express in perfect condition and without any duties due. It is an amazing amp. I am mesmerized with its performance.

Top Bottom