• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV A2 Review (Stereo Amplifier & DAC)

ppataki

Major Contributor
I really love the idea of Full Digital Amps - no need for a DAC, fully digital signal path, etc....
What would be even more awesome is if the next generation of this amp would have multichannel....like 2-4-6-8 channel versions to choose from
That would be a huge hit amongst people who build multiway systems and home theater also
Just an idea.... @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu - Thank you

Farenheit

I don't know if it's already posted, but see the ASR review on the SMSL official website:

Eruditarian

I don't know if it's already posted, but see the ASR review on the SMSL official website:

I appreciate that they kept @amirm 's caution statement at the end. They could have omitted that...

jmillar

...and its price $999??
At around the 1000€ mark it's a hard sell in the EU. (I know. It has a DAC, but still).
There are quite a few tried and tested class D units with an acceptable level of support.
Ultrasonics cutoff doesn't bother me at all. Why should we care about what happens beyond 22 kHz as long as it gets there linearly and cleanly? (Ok, make it 24 (48 kHz samp rate) if you must, but it's not absolutely needed)
But analog input issues must be resolved.
As is, this iteration is an unfinished product. Instead of a fan it might need bigger heatsinks/dissipators. A fan can be there for extreme contingencies, but not as part of standard use protocol.

Last edited:

jmillar

Right, but who is a class a amp for? Oppose to class d. What type of audiophile
A class A amp would be ideal for headphone use. The constant power draw is not so much of a problem.

Others are purists with big pockets and big, expensive, high sensitivity speakers. Get ready for about 50 kilos per each single channel monobloc, power draw, heat, and a stiff pricetag.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is there any difference in sound between a2 to smsl sa400 ?analog only
The power amp sections of the VMV A2 and SA400 are probably the same. However, the SA400 does not use the digital input, which is the main input.

The VMV A2 analog input signal uses the PCM1804's dedicated ADC chip, while the SA400 uses the ADC built into the Axign AX5689 chip for A-D conversion. This built-in ADC is also used for A-D conversion of digital feedback signals.
I haven't bought these two yet, so I don't know how much this difference in A-D conversion will affect the sound quality.
But I think there is a difference that is worth the price difference.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
The power amp sections of the VMV A2 and SA400 are probably the same. However, the SA400 does not use the digital input, which is the main input.

The VMV A2 analog input signal uses the PCM1804's dedicated ADC chip, while the SA400 uses the ADC built into the Axign AX5689 chip for A-D conversion. This built-in ADC is also used for A-D conversion of digital feedback signals.
I haven't bought these two yet, so I don't know how much this difference in A-D conversion will affect the sound quality.
But I think there is a difference that is worth the price difference.
Thanks for the explanation of Toku. The best different of the A2 and SA400 is the A2 is the digital amplifier but the Sa400.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for the explanation of Toku. The best different of the A2 and SA400 is the A2 is the digital amplifier but the Sa400.
The VMV A2 and SA400 are interesting products, but they are never bought because of their expensive pricing and almost hidden internal structure. I think it's a very disappointing product.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review!

I find it interesting from cost perspective to compare this unit to Deonon AVR3600H since the price is similar. It's DAC and Amp measures slightly better and It puts out extra ~40w per channel into 4 ohms compared to the Denon. Similar figures into 8 ohms. I doubt the difference is really audible.

However the Denon has ..8 amplifiers, it doesn't have DC problem messing up the RCA inputs. It has greater selection of inputs and extra 7 HDMI inputs should you need them. It has HEOS streaming capabilities for your favourite music streaming service and internet radio you can control via app - wired or wireless. Multi room setups. Audyssey ext32 DSP dohiggery for room correction and decent eq, bluetooth for your headphones or streaming from phone. Two subwooofer outputs you can configure at your heart desire. Headphone output, power savings mode and bunch of other features few of us will ever use and I don't recall while writing this.

Sure, the Denon is bigger if you are short on space.
Yes and you get a remote that will last more then a year and no fan.I hate noise during quiet passages of music. And I just use audyssey with the app on my cheaper Denon 960 with some fairly noticeable improvements over my Topping pa5 alone. I am hoping if I can get act 32 audyssey and the app it could be even better.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow I missed this, and the SMSL digital PFFB. It would be interesting if @pma could include this topology in the complex load testing as he has been doing recently with other amplifiers (I would pitch in to have him buy one). This device seems to have issues with some features, but the power amp seems solid.

renoxd

I have tested this amplifier, and I am satisfied with the sound quality, but there are a few significant drawbacks.

The firmware does not allow you to turn the SUB CUT OFF freq. You have to set something between 70 and 160, and you can't turn it off completely. I don't have a sub, so it cuts my frequency below the value to be set. This is unacceptable.

LDAC did not work on my unit.

Question: Does the volume of the sub change with the change of the overall volume on the amplifier? If this is not the case, this is another unacceptable thing.

What happened with SDB filter? The first versions had it, the newer does not have it. Adjusting the bass and treble manually does not have the same effect as this mode.

renoxd

Could someone from SMSL dispel doubts regarding my post below. Will there be any firmware to fix the issue with sub cutoff and how about sub volume control vs main volume?

Toku

Major Contributor
I have tested this amplifier, and I am satisfied with the sound quality, but there are a few significant drawbacks.

The firmware does not allow you to turn the SUB CUT OFF freq. You have to set something between 70 and 160, and you can't turn it off completely. I don't have a sub, so it cuts my frequency below the value to be set. This is unacceptable.

LDAC did not work on my unit.

Question: Does the volume of the sub change with the change of the overall volume on the amplifier? If this is not the case, this is another unacceptable thing.

What happened with SDB filter? The first versions had it, the newer does not have it. Adjusting the bass and treble manually does not have the same effect as this mode.
Could someone from SMSL dispel doubts regarding my post below. Will there be any firmware to fix the issue with sub cutoff and how about sub volume control vs main volume?
Unfortunately there is no FW update file for VMV A2.

An improved version of the VMV A2 is the Sabaj A30a. The internals of the A30a are exactly the same as the VMV A2. Your complaints about the VMV A2 have been fixed with the A30a.
The SUB output is linked to the main volume control.
The SUB LPF cutoff frequency can be varied in the range of 70 to 150Hz. At the same time, the HPF of the main amplifier is linked to the cutoff frequency of the LPF of the SUB.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this is an example of the perils of buying expensive Chinese gear that relies on its firmware

like if you buy a Denafrips analog amp then there isnt an issue as there's nothing to update.

But its funny to me that here's a $1,000 amp that has some 'faults' that can be rectified in firmware and yet... they arent.

And SMSL did update a $120 dac so they can do it if they wish.

Sound86

And SMSL did update a $120 dac so they can do it if they wish.
Probably because it has higher sales volume and the number of complaints is more harmful with a low budget product than a high end low volume product.

But other companies are the same.

Try to get help for a $2.500 Klipsch Stadium. By now they are almost all dead, because of faulty engineering and no support or refusal of repairs from Klipsch.

Hollywood_Bob

Unfortunately there is no FW update file for VMV A2.

An improved version of the VMV A2 is the Sabaj A30a. The internals of the A30a are exactly the same as the VMV A2. Your complaints about the VMV A2 have been fixed with the A30a.
The SUB output is linked to the main volume control.
The SUB LPF cutoff frequency can be varied in the range of 70 to 150Hz. At the same time, the HPF of the main amplifier is linked to the cutoff frequency of the LPF of the SUB.
Its interesting that you say the Sajac a30a is an improved version of the SMSL VMV A2 and the issue of the sub volume has been fixed inthe a30a.

Two buyers on Amazon.ca have commented that there are problems with the sub volume with the a30a.

January 17, 2023

sub volume is not consistent with speaker volume. They rise and fall unevenly. At low volumes you may have way too much sub, and at high volumes it disappears. This means you have to adjust the sub volume every time you adjust the main volume.

January 19, 2023

my observation is that the increment in subwoofer volume is not in synch with the speaker volume as you increase the master volume. at lower master volume (say 35) the speaker out and subwoofer out are about balanced, but when you increase the master volume to over 50, the sound from speaker out becomes more prominent than the subwoofer out. this means you have to make constant adjustment to subwoofer volume when you play at different volumes. not only is this poorly implemented & annoying, this is something i've never experienced before.

I was interested in the Sabaj a30a, but not anymore.

renoxd

Its interesting that you say the Sajac a30a is an improved version of the SMSL VMV A2 and the issue of the sub volume has been fixed inthe a30a.

Two buyers on Amazon.ca have commented that there are problems with the sub volume with the a30a.

January 17, 2023

sub volume is not consistent with speaker volume. They rise and fall unevenly. At low volumes you may have way too much sub, and at high volumes it disappears. This means you have to adjust the sub volume every time you adjust the main volume.

January 19, 2023

my observation is that the increment in subwoofer volume is not in synch with the speaker volume as you increase the master volume. at lower master volume (say 35) the speaker out and subwoofer out are about balanced, but when you increase the master volume to over 50, the sound from speaker out becomes more prominent than the subwoofer out. this means you have to make constant adjustment to subwoofer volume when you play at different volumes. not only is this poorly implemented & annoying, this is something i've never experienced before.

I was interested in the Sabaj a30a, but not anymore.
I read the same comments before. Another problem is that Sabaj is only in silver version. Who does that?

GiBo61

Does anyone have a picture of the inside (with the whole Printed Circuit Board) of the SMSL VMV2?

Top Bottom