• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV A2 or SMSL SU9+SMSL SA400 - USB chip decoding

twonker

Hi! I'm sorry, the forum has already discussed similar topics, but I could not find a clear answer in any of them.

I can't buy another amp besides these (big room, big floor standing speakers, country where these devices are cheaper, usb connection only).

So there is:
SMSL VMV A2 - XMOS 30870C10, XU-216, DSD512, (there is no DAC, does XMOS perform its function?)
SMSL SU9 - XMOS 30870C10, XU-208, DSD512, but still there is a ES9038PRO (does it affect the decoding of the signal from the USB? or XMOS translates digital to analog, and the chip does nothing?) Oh...
Аnd if the es3098pro still affects decoding, then the bonus is that we have 2 devices, and there will be less interference, right? And xlr connection with SA400 will greatly affect the sound quality.
Or the difference in sound quality will be so minimal that it's easier to save $100 and buy only VMV A2. Two devices have only one minus - they are of different sizes and will not look as beautiful as one VMV A2.

Why is it so difficult, I just don’t know how the signal is decoded from usb.
P.S. Sorry for my English.

Roland68

Major Contributor

Roland68

Major Contributor
It is not a DAC ! It is A/D converter. SMSL VMV A2 and Sabaj A30A are FDA - they work without DAC chip.
Of course you're right, they use the AX5689 chip, which doesn't need a D/A converter.
Too many PCM chips of the last 30 years in my head...:facepalm:

Ported

I tried vmv A2 and sound wise enjoyed it a lot.. but its power supply could be heard singing (old modem type noise) from listening position between tracks .. took a lot of effort to agree a return but no swap offered so don't know if all are the same. Not sure how you measure signal to noise in that circumstance? Shame..

Top Bottom