• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU9 Pro

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is the 12kHz problem?
Jitter ain't quite perfect:
1665857424-12K.jpg
Source

metasharp

For information the SMSL SU9-Pro output impedance is 100Ω (100 ohms) for Single Ended.
SMSL just sent me the information. Trying to get the info for balanced output.

Last edited:

metasharp

For information the SMSL SU9-Pro output impedance is 200Ω (200 ohms) for Balanced Output (XLR).

Richard wdl

Smsl su9-pro questions:
1) displayed after input type (eg usb, optical) there is a letter eg "optical U". I can't find any references to this in the manual. What does it tell me?
2) how do I upgrade the firmware?
3) I'm using unbalanced output to drive krk rp5g4 speakers. I'm assuming I don't need to place a pre-amp in the chain and there is less risk of noise. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thank you for your advice.

wbenjin

Smsl su9-pro questions:
1) displayed after input type (eg usb, optical) there is a letter eg "optical U". I can't find any references to this in the manual. What does it tell me?
3) I'm using unbalanced output to drive krk rp5g4 speakers. I'm assuming I don't need to place a pre-amp in the chain and there is less risk of noise. Am I misunderstanding something?

For your questions:
1) U probably means Unbalance output (RCA), and B means Balanced (XLR), I recently using XLR output so it shows B
2) There is no firmware update now and SMSL seems don't release firmware update for DACs.
3) SU-9 Pro (and majority of DACs) has pre-amp function (aka volume control) built-in, so you don't need anything other than a cable between SU-9 Pro and active speaker since it's output level is more than sufficient (>2Vrms unbalanced) for active speakers.

wbenjin

Smsl su9-pro questions:

And just my personal opinion, using very hi-end DAC (such as SU-9 Pro) for low or mid range active speaker is a bit overkill, since the speaker itself generates much more noise and distortion than DAC, I would suggest just using entry level DAC (SMSL DO100 for example) and save the money for calibration software suite or microphone, you will get much more accurate and clean sound from speakers for same or less money.

Richard wdl

And just my personal opinion, using very hi-end DAC (such as SU-9 Pro) for low or mid range active speaker is a bit overkill, since the speaker itself generates much more noise and distortion than DAC, I would suggest just using entry level DAC (SMSL DO100 for example) and save the money for calibration software suite or microphone, you will get much more accurate and clean sound from speakers for same or less money.
Many thanks for your very helpful response.
I understand what you mean by "save the money" but for my purposes (listening rather than mixing) they suit my tastes. I understand that the krks are entry level for studio work, but this po' boy ain't got what it takes to buy Adam.

Top Bottom