• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU10 vs SMSL D400ES [mornsun ?]

Moxalain

Bonjour à tous !

Quand je regarde à l'intérieur de ces deux excellents DAC, je vois "une véritable alimentation linéaire" qui inspire confiance dans le SU10
et
Mornsun LD20 dans le D400ES (et EX) qui m'inspire... rien :facepalm:!
Je ne connais pas le Mornsun qui coûte moins de 15$ mais qui s'adapte (pourquoi en voir si peu si c'est bon et pas cher ?).
Voici ma question shakespearienne :
Mornsun ou alimentation linéaire avec transformateur toroïdal ?

Meilleures salutations
Alain
PS. Je viens des vieilles écoles où un toroïdal vaut mieux que tout. Mais aujourd'hui ?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Today, we judge the quality of a DAC not by the components inside, but by the sound that comes out.

The SU-10 outputs slightly less noise and distortion than the D400EX, but both are leaps and bounds beyond what humans can perceive, so both will sound equally transparent, playing back your tracks and only your tracks, nothing more nothing less.

That means that you can choose based on price, features, design, warranty, etc and won't miss out on sound no matter which one you choose.

While the D400ES hasn't been measured yet, it will almost certainly be as transparent as the two above.

OP
M

Moxalain

I like your answers and... yes, I'm old :cool:;) !
I will buy the D400

Last edited:

Matthew

Differences: SU-10 uses an XMOS chip for MQA. The D400ES does it within the DAC chip. Whilst the SU-10 has two DAC chips and the D400 one, both have the same OP amps in the output stage which would have a significant effect on the sound. Both output similar voltages. Given all this the DACs should be similar though perhaps not identical in their presentation.

ethanhallbeyer

Differences: SU-10 uses an XMOS chip for MQA. The D400ES does it within the DAC chip. Whilst the SU-10 has two DAC chips and the D400 one, both have the same OP amps in the output stage which would have a significant effect on the sound. Both output similar voltages. Given all this the DACs should be similar though perhaps not identical in their presentation.
Speaking of XMOS chip... i thought i saw a thread about a 1-2 second delay in audio coming on when using with a PC for audio. I think it was determined to be due to the XMOS 316. The workaround appears to be modifying a driver file, which apparently works under Windows but no word about a similar workaround for MacOS/Android/iOS. Not sure if there is or will ever be a firmware update to address this.

So I'm wondering if D400ES different implementation means the aforementioned issue would be a non-issue with its design vs SU-10?

Top Bottom