• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
As far as sound color - I haven't tried that yet, as I find Standard enjoyable all by itself.
I think most people don't mess with the distortion/'sound color' thing, really :)

prerich

I think most people don't mess with the distortion/'sound color' thing, really :)
I didn't think so....although SMSL states that those setting don't change the distortion measurements :oops:. I'm not going to mess with it.

Hi guys,

I have just bought one of these, my first dedicated DAC. Was using the CXA81 internal DAC and streaming via the Bluesound Node. In short, I noticed a huge difference with the SU-9n (in a positive way) vs the Node DAC and CXA DAC.

My concern. There are a load of reports of issues with SMSL products, in particular static noise and issues appearing after a few weeks or months. How big a problem is this in reality? Just need a sounding board. My alternative is to return and buy something else, likely a twice the cost or more like the RME ADI-2.

Thoughts?

prerich

Hi guys,

I have just bought one of these, my first dedicated DAC. Was using the CXA81 internal DAC and streaming via the Bluesound Node. In short, I noticed a huge difference with the SU-9n (in a positive way) vs the Node DAC and CXA DAC.

My concern. There are a load of reports of issues with SMSL products, in particular static noise and issues appearing after a few weeks or months. How big a problem is this in reality? Just need a sounding board. My alternative is to return and buy something else, likely a twice the cost or more like the RME ADI-2.

Thoughts?
I'll answer back in a few weeks

Celty

Hi guys,

Thoughts?
Don't buy trouble where it does not exist. Mine has been problem free BTW.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having mine for months now 24/7 turned on. No problems whatsoever.

Gradius

There are a load of reports of issues with SMSL products, in particular static noise and issues appearing after a few weeks or months. How big a problem is this in reality?

Where did you read that?

Normally they are to blame to the final user, or they have bad/unstable energy supply, or even low quality cables. Even the OS they are using can be the culpit (aka virus, bad installed drivers, programs, etc).

cosmom3

Had mine since the beginning of September and using it everyday as part of my stack
  • SMSL SU-9N + DA-9 + SH-9
All three are tethered together via XLR with the 3 way Hart Audio Cables. It's been perfect and no issues.
68972383805__D24BE2EA-9515-404D-8A84-EBC08B1506CF.JPG

68971992453__66A66D82-9D9E-494A-A71C-1A8742BD0BEF.JPG

Where did you read that?

Normally they are to blame to the final user, or they have bad/unstable energy supply, or even low quality cables. Even the OS they are using can be the culpit (aka virus, bad installed drivers, programs, etc).

Here on this site, Head-Fi, AV Forums and general reviews on amazon and google. Seems like they generally work out of the box and fail extremely fast compared to more premium brands.

That said, I am sure there are more happy customers than unhappy customers.

Gradius

Here on this site, Head-Fi, AV Forums and general reviews on amazon and google. Seems like they generally work out of the box and fail extremely fast compared to more premium brands.

I see.

Wolf's mentioned SMSL is a Taiwan company (wonder why), but checking their website is actually from China (Shenzhen), near Hong Kong.

Topping is also from China, they are kinda closer to one another.

Btw, nothing really last, not even us, but yes, I would be like to see those chifi to last at least 10 years.

I once had two very old computers (MSX) from 1990 and 1991 (top end models) and they are still working, even today (the actual owner told me so).

+32 years !

Dont get me wrong, I would absolutely love the SMSL stuff to last for a long time, or even just an average amount of time, bit overall I dont think they will. I'd pay 50% more too if they could solve those issues. The sound difference from that little Dac vs my CXA 81 inbuilt Dac is just crazy. I feel something like a 10-20% improvement and I really thought it would be an inaudible 1% etc.

I am someone who really doesnt like hassle, and sending something back to China or even a UK retailer for repair is beyond my mental capacity :facepalm:;)
So I think I am going to return and buy the RME ADI-2. Which has a little additional functionality too. Albeit much higher in price

tamasorosz

My experience with SMSL: I've been using an SU-9n / DA-9 combo in my living room for a year now without any issues :)

The DAC is connected via USB with my Pi4, and optical with my Sony TV. I have switched from RCA to balanced cable not long ago out of curiosity: no audible difference to my ears, and I even use same volume settings (only normal listening levels).

I also had an SH-9 for desktop use, but sold after a few months to reduce clutter on my workstation - I've been regretting this ever since...

I see.

Wolf's mentioned SMSL is a Taiwan company (wonder why), but checking their website is actually from China (Shenzhen), near Hong Kong.

Topping is also from China, they are kinda closer to one another.

Btw, nothing really last, not even us, but yes, I would be like to see those chifi to last at least 10 years.

I once had two very old computers (MSX) from 1990 and 1991 (top end models) and they are still working, even today (the actual owner told me so).

+32 years !
Give me 5 years average I would take it.

Celty

I first assumed you were just asking a genuine question in your first post. Seems to me you are now just trolling after getting nothing but positive responses on SMSL, you allege poor quality and product longevity without providing any factual basis whatsoever. Enough please.

I first assumed you were just asking a genuine question in your first post. Seems to me you are now just trolling after getting nothing but positive responses on SMSL, you allege poor quality and product longevity without providing any factual basis whatsoever. Enough please.
Rest assured I am a genuine poster. It is a real shame you have to default to calling someone a troll when you hear some criticism of a product, that I assume you have no hand in creating. It is no secret that the SMSL brand produces incredible products, but they do have worse than average reliability, from what I have read at least.

If you care to search online for this you will find an abundance of reports, I am happy to provide links but I feel that would not go down overly well. That said, it is impossible to know the real numbers, I am sure most happy people don't write reviews about their DAC, unhappy people do, so it will be skewed I am sure. However it is there to see if you want.

Maybe it is to be expected with such performance vs price.

Remember that I actually bought the SU-9n, I have it on my table right now. Only after this I read about lots of pops, static, failures of smsl stuff, and that concerned me... A troll, would probably not buy the product, right?

Celty

Rest assured I am a genuine poster. It is a real shame you have to default to calling someone a troll when you hear some criticism of a product, that I assume you have no hand in creating. It is no secret that the SMSL brand produces incredible products, but they do have worse than average reliability, from what I have read at least.

If you care to search online for this you will find an abundance of reports, I am happy to provide links but I feel that would not go down overly well. That said, it is impossible to know the real numbers, I am sure most happy people don't write reviews about their DAC, unhappy people do, so it will be skewed I am sure. However it is there to see if you want.

Maybe it is to be expected with such performance vs price.

Remember that I actually bought the SU-9n, I have it on my table right now. Only after this I read about lots of pops, static, failures of smsl stuff, and that concerned me... A troll, would probably not buy the product, right?
1st - I did not call you a troll, I said that your posts had become trolling. In other words I was describing your actions, not you as a person.

2nd - You continue to assert that there is clear evidence that SMSL products "fail extremely fast compared to more premium brands", yet without providing any such evidence. Nothing, NADA, not a jot, let alone the kind of strong justification needed for your generalizations and conclusive statements about these products.

3rd - You purchased an SMSL DAC and have cited absolutely no problems or deficiencies with it, yet with no personal basis of experience for doing so, continue to assert that the company's products have inferior longevity. If you had such compelling knowledge, why in the world would you buy it?

This is a fact oriented forum. Your first post stated that there were "a load of reports of issues with SMSL products" and asked forum members if that was a reality. Every single response was positive and cited no problems. Your subsequent posts transitioned to stating that such alleged problems were a fact, without supplying any objective basis for doing so.

If you have a problem with the term trolling, let's just use the description that you are making unjustified negative characterizations about a company's products despite other forum members feedback to the contrary in responding to your question.

I have no affiliation with SMSL, I'm just a customer who has owned two of their DAC's and been very pleased with them. Here's to your experience continuing to be flawless as well.

Last edited:
1st - I did not call you a troll, I said that your posts had become trolling. In other words I was describing your actions, not you as a person.

2nd - You continue to assert that there is clear evidence that SMSL products "fail extremely fast compared to more premium brands", yet without providing any such evidence. Nothing, NADA, not a jot, let alone the kind of strong justification needed for your generalizations and conclusive statements about these products.
I'll explain point two and three together. I bought the Dac out of curiosity and completely on a whim, only looking at some 'expert' reviews who kept mentioning it as one of the go do DAC's for the money. So I was a 15% reduction and bought.

When then reading more about it here, on Head-Fi and on reddit I came across a lot of posts and threads about issues over time, a short time generally. They tended to couple SMSL and Topping in the same boat

Below is a tiny sample... There are a lot more. But I dont need you to go through them all I would honestly rather drop it. Just proving that I didn't make it up or troll, just had concerns.

I have learnt over the years when something breaks and goes wrong for no reason, it winds me up, so I like to avoid that if possible.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...owners-only-please.33293/page-45#post-1342214 - this one showed a poll and one product 40% of people said it was defective

3rd - You purchased an SMSL DAC and have cited absolutely no problems or deficiencies with it, yet with no personal basis of experience for doing so, continue to assert that the company's products have inferior longevity. If you had such compelling knowledge, why in the world would you buy it?

This is a fact oriented forum. Your first post stated that there were "a load of reports of issues with SMSL products" and asked forum members if that was a reality. Every single response was positive and cited no problems. Your subsequent posts transitioned to stating that such alleged problems were a fact, without supplying any objective basis for doing so.

If you have a problem with the term trolling, let's just use the description that you are making unjustified negative characterizations about a company's products despite other forum members feedback to the contrary in responding to your question.
Ok no problem :) I associate the word troll with those that cannot debate and offer anything other than an insult, so I dont like it. Hence the defence
I have no affiliation with SMSL, I'm just a customer who has owned two of their DAC's and been very pleased with them. Here's to your experience continuing to be flawless as well.

Celty

I have learnt over the years when something breaks and goes wrong for no reason, it winds me up, so I like to avoid that if possible.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...owners-only-please.33293/page-45#post-1342214 - this one showed a poll and one product 40% of people said it was defective

Ok no problem :) I associate the word troll with those that cannot debate and offer anything other than an insult, so I dont like it. Hence the defence
Good gosh. You dug up 6 threads to justify your posts. Of these, one was a "Poll for Topping PA5 owners". A second was "What is your stance on Chinese brand Hi-fi equipment".
As a forum member in the latter thread stated, "Sounds like you made an "assumption" based on a generalization. Like my high school physics teacher said - when you "assume" you make an "ass" out if "u" and "me". It matters because I would expect folks to at least try to me somewhat accurate in a "Science" based forum."

Of the four remaining threads, not one was about the SMSL SU-9n which is the topic of this thread, and even of these, none gave any evidence of high failure rates of SMSL products. At this point, it is time for me to stop responding, as it is clearly a waste of time and energy, and I don't want the thread further derailed. I suggest you either return your SU-9n even though it has no problems, or use it and enjoy it.

:rolleyes: Right. I could post another 25 threads just from this forum about SMSL. I did say that I didn’t need you to go through them and would rather drop it

Funny that you criticised me for not giving evidence, yet when I pasted in some links you criticise me for posting examples.

I also said SMSL issues, not specific products... But it sounds like you read whatever bits you want.

I was conscious at first not to post any examples, if you want them, I am happy top post a plethora of thread all over the internet about the reliability issues, and thereafter the lack of support or slow repairs.

Maybe they have got better, and I know they sell probably tens of thousands of products each year. I just wanted a bit of help. Is all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom