• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

King

...thank you for your reply, not looking for a dac for my pc but for my hifi-stereo set between amp and cd player and I tought a dac with tone controls/filters could be my solution to create a warmer sound and thicker highs in my stereo-set up, but now after a couple of days I think my arcam r-dac sounds still warmer than the smsl su-9n with the soundfilters, I think indeed they sound all equal with these soundfilters, maybe I have to look for a rega dac, I think burr-brown and wolfson is the best sound for me, not analytical, full bodied and warm sounding for my bright sounding hifi stereo sound..can try a new power supply for my arcam r-dac but what power supply suits the arcam r-dac?...and does it really help to make my sound from the arcam thicker and warmer in the highs?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
...thank you for your reply, not looking for a dac for my pc but for my hifi-stereo set between amp and cd player and I tought a dac with tone controls/filters could be my solution to create a warmer sound and thicker highs in my stereo-set up, but now after a couple of days I think my arcam r-dac sounds still warmer than the smsl su-9n with the soundfilters, I think indeed they sound all equal with these soundfilters, maybe I have to look for a rega dac, I think burr-brown and wolfson is the best sound for me, not analytical, full bodied and warm sounding for my bright sounding hifi stereo sound..can try a new power supply for my arcam r-dac but what power supply suits the arcam r-dac?...and does it really help to make my sound from the arcam thicker and warmer in the highs?

I have a dual Wolfson DAC.. and the SMSL D300 where many audiophools mention it's more analog sounding (like vinyl).

If you want warmer thicker sound.. use a Equilizer (audirvana, roon etc) but don't try to Archive that with a delta sigma DAC

King

ok thank you, so the smsl d300 is not so thin as the other smsl's?... maybe bit thicker sound and maybe bit warmer? what kind of dac is that you have with dual wolfson?rega?

flz

ok thank you, so the smsl d300 is not so thin as the other smsl's?... maybe bit thicker sound and maybe bit warmer? what kind of dac is that you have with dual wolfson?rega?
If you want to tame your "bright sounding hifi stereo sound", it's not about changing the DAC. As others have said many times.

Scrivs

Forum Donor
This forum has taught me so much. Amir and countless other intelligent, generous,( if occasionally curmudgeonly:)) professionals have contributed and distilled all their years of professional experience, and it's here for free. Gratis. This is such an incredible resource, I strongly urge you to search, research, then wear that search window out even more. Then, if you can't find what you were exactly looking for, any one of us would love the chance to humbly help a brotha out. There are so many things I learned coincidentally while looking for data completely unrelated to what I was seeking. Pretty damned rad! Another benefit of the search :cool:

I come from an avionics/turboprop (T-56-A-15) maintenance (and aircrew background), but I have learned more about digital electronics DACs/ADCs/PLLs/ESS Humps :), etc, from hundreds of hours of reading, looking at the stickies,, et, keeping my eyes and ears wide open, and just soaking in the free masterclass. Presented here, is a data, measurable, repeatable, reliable, and valid (others may believe otherwise).

The data that Amir presents (Estimated in Room Response for example) for a given speaker can, allow one to infer, or predict tonal qualities that deviate from a target frequency (a house sound--perhaps what you describe as warm sounding). Google Harman Target Curve, or BBC dip for a better idea of what a house sound or target curve is.

As far as comparing your two DACS, unless the two devices were level matched-the devices being compared must play at the same level. A slight increase in volume on one DAC likely will make it sound more detailed, clear, etc. A $14 Amazon basics DAC when properly level matched would probably sound indistinguishable from the best of any of the bling brands boutique hipster flintstone ladder-dacs. Actually, it would probably embarrass them in the SINAD metric (PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC:facepalm: ). Make sure you're comparing like with like. I had no idea of the vagaries and complexities of our acoustic world, the power of psychoacoustics, and the insidious tricks they can play on you. Fascinating.

Sorry I couldn't give you a clean concise answer re: "warmth," thicker highs. This is where subjective experience can cause confusion. When I think warm sound, I feel upper mids are more pronounced, while treble is more rolled of less attack/decay. Warn sounding to me would sound more like a song played over AM radio vs FM (more defined, more clear, less fuzz), if you catch my drift.

Use this resource as a starting point. Amir takes us back to school on Youtube. Watch the one on grounding. Watch/Read lots of ASR speaker reviews. In the preamble of each review, you get quick primer, and explanation of fundamental concepts.

Audio has become so much more rewarding now that Amir has sort of drawn a line for all of us. There's no reason for people to blindly buy speakers based on looks, brand cache, and pay for their salesperson's commission on all the audioquest bs they sell. Gross.

a

Which without having to listen to it (absent from the very place it should exists-- the companies (shellcorp most likely:eek:) absent from many of most comprehensive, easy to understand, and easily available. I have an incredible amout of respect for the Amir, and the likes ofPMA, Solderdude, Mr. March, napilopez, just to name a few off the top of my head. Thank you gentlemen, line in the sand!

King

thank you for thinking with me, I appreciate that, I actually hear on smsl su-9n that "Tube 3" is the darkest{warmest?] sound of the soundfilters, so there is a difference, I hear also difference between my dac in my marantz cd player{cirrus, is brighter} and the smsl su-9n and arcam r-dac, are "darker, warmer", so there is audioble difference between them, but not enough for me, so think to find that "dark warm" sound in the basics of a Dac, think that the sound already is somewhat "thicker" then basicly....maybe, thanks for the tip, the smsl d300 is something different towards the sound I am looking for to temp a little bit my hifi system brightness...

threni

Major Contributor
If you're really after a DAC with a thick/warm sound your best bet is to look on eBay for second hand ones and hope you get one which isn't working properly.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Cambridge Cxn V2. But no.. the D300 is not thicker or warmer.

If you want that use a Equilizer. Or A tube pre-amp

Veri

Master Contributor
I think burr-brown and wolfson is the best sound for me, not analytical, full bodied and warm sounding for my bright sounding hifi stereo sound..can try a new power supply for my arcam r-dac but what power supply suits the arcam r-dac?...and does it really help to make my sound from the arcam thicker and warmer in the highs?
If you already have that arcam dac and like what you hear, just stick with it. Don't get some crazy power supply, no it will not make anything sound warmer and thicker.

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Maybe if I ate a handful of Panaeolus Cyanescens that I see in my back yard, after it rains. A large handful. And then squinted my eyes tightly, and did the chicken-dance. If, and only set preconditions are met can I detect a delta of zero. I "believe" that I could hear something different between two of the filters. What sounded different, I couldn't tell you, which makes me wonder if I actually heard it.

Regarding the Sound Color modes. When I first got the DAC, and a handful of occasions since I wen back and forth between them a few times, listening. I couldn't hear any difference. Mind you, the effort on my part was casual at best. Also my ears and gray matter have just under 2500 hours of flight time, all C-130H/J, but surprisingly I my upper limit is a cats-hair over 15khz. I was expecting worse at age 45. Cool :)

If I ever feel the need... the need for... tone control:cool: I have a dbx215s GEQ that I use once in a blue moon. The fact that that one component most likely murders my SINAD has no bearing to me. I'm sure swaths of distortion are added by the ole' analog sliders too. Couldn't care less. I'm enjoying the music more with it.

RandomEar

As an update to my previous post: I sent the first SU-9n back, because of the speaker pop issue. The second unit arrived and is much better. As far as I can tell, the DC offset at the XLR output is still about the same as on the first one, but the pop-sound when muting or turning it on/off is much lower in volume now - barely audible. I'm fine with that now.

After a couple weeks of use, I think I also found a small firmware bug: I turn the DAC off in the evening and then disconnect my whole setup from the wall (switched power strip). When connecting it again the next day, the SMSL devices (SU-9n and SH-9) both immediately turn on. After 30 s, the SH-9 turns off the display according to the set timer value - but the SU-9n does not. The display stays on forever, unless I interact with the unit (change volume, mute, open menu - anything). Only then, the timer is activated and the display also turns off 30 s later.

Would be nice if another SU-9n user could confirm this behaviour/bug on his unit :)

louger

I just ran a test, my SU-9n has been on for several days, the display was off. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, the display came on and stayed on (I waited 30 minutes). I changed the volume using the front knob and the display turned itself off within a minute.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Prior to 9N order, asked Apos Apr 2 if they had stock in US to send, I raised this as my preference
They said yes
Ordered within 5 hrs. It was shipped from China despite their earlier same-day communication
Received Apr 9. There was a wandering loose screw inside
I requested RMA on April 11
Still waiting on next step as of April 24 despite 3 email sent from my side.
Getting ready to contest at Paypal

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Yup. I think I'm done with this brand and (most of it's) I'll.

Proud new owner of as-new RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It's the AKM AK4490 version (2).

Im cynical, sarcastic, and skeptical, and as such had no expectations beyond the active crossover/DSP features.

HOLYCRAPWHYDIDNTIGETONESOONER???!!!!

Seriously, it reeks quality, in every regard. For reference, I currently own (DACS): SU-9, E30, Modi 3, Motu M4, Qudelix 5K. ME, Motu, and E30.

The Modi, SU-9, and Magnus are all gonna find new homes now.

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Apologies. A bit off topic, but if I could advise the scrivs if two years ago,. I would have saved the "compromise" money spent on DACS, and would have been perfectly happy with either the ADI-2 DAC FS plus Motu M4 and of course the value monster, the Qudelix 5k.

That, or the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. And the 5k

louger

Proud new owner of as-new RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It's the AKM AK4490 version (2).

That's funny, I have a new ADI-2 DAC FS (latest ESS version) that is out for delivery today. I am adding a new zone to my Roon setup and decided to spend the extra to go with the RME this time. I won't make too long a post about all the reasons, though I don't expect any audible difference in sound quality (over my SU-9, SU-9n, or Modius), though they each have little nagging issues that bother me (so far the SU-9n is on my good side). My primary reason for the RME is that it seems to be a different animal as far as support. They have an active forum where the company responds to questions, and they update the firmware several times a year. My SU-9 is an older one where there is some type of issue with channel volume (I honestly don't notice it when listening to music). Though I really hate that the end-user cannot update the firmware. Logically, I could buy another SU-9n (if there is something so important that is fixed in a firmware update) and still be cheaper than the RME (or I could just send it off to China for the firmware update and cross my fingers it gets done and gets back to me). Though, as you say the RME also brings other features to the table and documents them fairly well. I am most interested in the loudness feature as I do a lot of late-night listening with family in the next room. Hopefully, I will be happy with my decision as well.

RedCometZero

RME ADI-2 is a great product with a lot of features, but bear in mind it is 4x the price of the SU-9n. The price difference is lower if you're buying an amp at the same time, since the ADI-2 has one built in, but the products themselves are in very different categories, and aren't really competitors.

I'm really happy with my two SU-9ns and haven't found any problems that I think would be a dealbreaker.

So I have this DAC connected by XLR to the Topping A30pro driving an HE6v2. I also have the Schitt Modi and Magni Hersey for the 6xx. I would like connect both amps to the DAC due sometimes use Bluetooth with my phone or tablet.
Questions:
  • Is it possible to have both amps connected to the DAC at the same time?
  • Is it also possible to drive both amps at the same time?
  • Any performance degradation from doing this?
Thanks,

Top Bottom