• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
So I have this DAC connected by XLR to the Topping A30pro driving an HE6v2. I also have the Schitt Modi and Magni Hersey for the 6xx. I would like connect both amps to the DAC due sometimes use Bluetooth with my phone or tablet.
Questions:
  • Is it possible to have both amps connected to the DAC at the same time?
  • Is it also possible to drive both amps at the same time?
  • Any performance degradation from doing this?
Thanks,
There are several ways to connect, but one example is

1. Connect the XLR output of the SU-9n to the A30 Pro and the RCA output to the input of the Magni Hersey.

2. You can drive both headphone amplifiers with the above connections.

3. There are no disadvantages.

Last edited:
There are several ways to connect, but one example is

1. Connect the XLR output of the SU-9n to the A30 Pro and the RCA output to the input of the Magni Hersey.

2. You can drive both headphone amplifiers with the above connections.

3. There are no disadvantages.
Thanks for confirming.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've read in the manual of the SU-9 that there are some sound tunings:
1652886690031.png

I can't really imagine WHAT those would do when they don't alter the FR. I know you can play around with the filters for a slightly different sound character, so what do the sound tunings do then? I can only think about distortions and artificial ringing?

Edit: Found it, should have googled https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-9-sound-color-anybody-know-the-curves.24773/

Last edited:
I was looking through the driver settings (version 5.30) and I notice that the same output format is listed twice. Does anyone else settings look like this?

1653106554938.png

anphex

Forum Donor
After a lot of back and forth I ordered this version istead of the SU-9. I wanted to have a self dimming display and a NOS filter no matter what. Also the SU-9n seems more reliable from what I've read. Altough @microcontrollerpro s image made me a little nervous. :D

ABSNimes

I was looking through the driver settings (version 5.30) and I notice that the same output format is listed twice. Does anyone else settings look like this?

View attachment 207912
XMos display driver issue... nothing to worry about, no effects at all.
I'm using the Su-9n for more than 6 monthes, nice product, pop free.

-> Firware bug that could be corrected : AC plug/unplug that affects "Dimmer" function (On/Off display timer).
Confirmed by other onwners.

SMSL told and wrote that Firmware could be updated by users.
So, seems it's time to prove it SMSL guys ;)

anphex

Forum Donor
XMos display driver issue... nothing to worry about, no effects at all.
I'm using the Su-9n for more than 6 monthes, nice product, pop free.

-> Firware bug that could be corrected : AC plug/unplug that affects "Dimmer" function (On/Off display timer).
Confirmed by other onwners.

SMSL told and wrote that Firmware could be updated by users.
So, seems it's time to prove it SMSL guys ;)
Kindly look at the bottom right of this image from the product page of the SU-9n.
They made the promise, so they HAVE to deliver if there are any issues regarding firmware.

1653153665676.png

gonzoznog

I just ordered the M500 MkII over this SU-9n. Did I make a mistake? I plan to use the M500 primarily as a DAC...

ABSNimes

Software upgrade.. that could be drivers for windows.

It doesn't say firmware anywhere

Have a look within this thread, Post #132 gives informations about Firmware Update ;)

It has been posted by smsl-mandy member (manufacturer)

Question remains : when SMSL would upgrade the Firmware to fix SU-9n bugs ?

Last edited:

RandomEar

Have a look within this thread, Post #132 gives informations about Firmware Update ;)

It has been posted by smsl-mandy member (manufacturer)

Question remains : when SMSL would upgrade the Firmware to fix SU-9n bugs ?
That's really besides the point: The sentence "Software Upgrade Available" suggests, that there is an upgrade available right now. In the end, it's a language barrier thing: I don't think they meant to say what they wrote. There certainly is no fresh firmware available at the moment. And if software is thought to mean "drivers", then the statement may be correct, but it's not what some users were/are expecting.

The firmware can be upgraded but it hasn't been. There are bugs, but it doesn't look like SMSL plans to fix them, although their marketing explicitly says "we (can) update firmware!", which for me means "dear customer, don't be afraid of potential bugs: we can and will fix those in a convenient way!". Which they currently don't.

anphex

Forum Donor
That's really besides the point: The sentence "Software Upgrade Available" suggests, that there is an upgrade available right now. In the end, it's a language barrier thing: I don't think they meant to say what they wrote. There certainly is no fresh firmware available at the moment. And if software is thought to mean "drivers", then the statement may be correct, but it's not what some users were/are expecting.

The firmware can be upgraded but it hasn't been. There are bugs, but it doesn't look like SMSL plans to fix them, although their marketing explicitly says "we (can) update firmware!", which for me means "dear customer, don't be afraid of potential bugs: we can and will fix those in a convenient way!". Which they currently don't.
The language barrrier thing is actually pretty curious. I bought a massage chair (because, as we say in German, "leider geil"), but the specs on the retaileer website, the specs on the manual and the actualy specs from the manufacturer were all slightly different data. So it seems China may have a general communications problem, may it be internal or external.
If any Chinese manufacturer is reading this, please don't be offended. This is just my own experience so far.
But I can greatly suggest DeepL for translations. It produces the best and most natural results so far.

TK750

Just to clarify, when people are referring to 'bugs', are they just talking about when they unplug and plug the unit back in (and have the screen dim option enabled) the screen on the device does not dim until they perform some action on the dac that 'wakes it up' so to speak. Are we really referring to that as a bug? Seems like a bit of a stretch to me! I've had this for about 6 months now and haven't run into any problems personally, I've been very pleased with it.

anphex

Forum Donor
Are the customized filters NOS? And why are there two of them? They look exactly similar. Maybe it's more going on after reaching the nyquist frequency? The manual also doesn't show anything clarifying.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've read in the manual of the SU-9 that there are some sound tunings:

I can't really imagine WHAT those would do when they don't alter the FR. I know you can play around with the filters for a slightly different sound character, so what do the sound tunings do then? I can only think about distortions and artificial ringing?
ESS has programmable distortion compensation. You can use it to reduce distortion inherent to the output stage built around it. Or you can use it to artificially add 2nd/3d/... harmonic distortion.. :)

capslock

so which filter was used for the 1 kHz distortion and SINAD measurments?

anphex

Forum Donor
so which filter was used for the 1 kHz distortion and SINAD measurments?
Filter: Fast-L, maybe Fast-H
Sound character: Standard (Bypass)

anphex

Forum Donor
I am still scratching my about what the filters Customized and Customized 1 do. Both look like they just bypass a filter completely, but why are there two o them then?

Top Bottom